What I'm hearing | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, coaching your son isn’t the best thing necessarily. You think Red needs that extra bit of pressure were he to get the job?
Maybe Red having just gone through it with JBs sons realizes the conflicts and issues it can and did cause.

Maybe Red having just gone through it with JBs sons realizes the conflicts and issues it can and did cause.

Although JB said it was his favorite year of his career, despite the losing record.

Last edited:
Hoops: Would rather have JW go through a national search and best man wins. In lieu of search Red>Gmac.

Football: White and Beck are definitely two talents who are young/up in comers and I would be alright if they were given a shot to HC if things didn't work out for Dino. On paper our coaching staff really looks strong right now. Here is to hoping that translates into some dubs this year.

Why would Gmac *need* to go out on his own? I mean, If he got a HC job, great, he should jump at that opportunity. But if not, he needs to stay for a few years. We’ll need as much stability here as we can get if it’s an in-house hire after JB. Red can still hire a top-flight recruiting assistant for the other position.
You were by-passed for the job. You don't stay to serve the guy they passed you over for.

You were by-passed for the job. You don't stay to serve the guy they passed you over for.
They wouldn't have passed over McNamara if they choose Autry. McNamara is junior to Autry and it makes sense to go with the senior guy in a typical hierarchical system. McNamara could easily stay as a top assistant and then go for head coaching jobs in another year or two. If Autry passes him over for Allen Griffin as the lead assistant, then maybe you're right.

On the other hand, if they hire McNamara, Autry has absolutely been passed over and will get the "career assistant" tag if he doesn't leave.

They wouldn't have passed over McNamara if they choose Autry. McNamara is junior to Autry and it makes sense to go with the senior guy in a typical hierarchical system. McNamara could easily stay as a top assistant and then go for head coaching jobs in another year or two. If Autry passes him over for Allen Griffin as the lead assistant, then maybe you're right.

On the other hand, if they hire McNamara, Autry has absolutely been passed over and will get the "career assistant" tag if he doesn't leave.
I really hope that G stays if Red gets the job. Im sure he is getting paid very well, and he bleeds orange

If it works out with the transition, great.

If it doesn't, we'll know pretty quick.

Either way, there would be hope. Right now, feels like Groundhog's Day the last 8 years.

People often say "be careful what you wish for".

Our head coach will be 78 years old when next season starts, and although we have some nice late season surges, it really doesn't matter what we wish for. Change is coming...via science.

Our head coach will be 78 years old when next season starts, and although we have some nice late season surges, it really doesn't matter what we wish for. Change is coming...via science.
Change is certainly coming. The question is, will that mean automatic improvement, as some are assuming.

Father time remains undefeated, but JB has his slide rule.

When a legend coach retires the admin most of the time will stay in house and promote from within. The reasons are (1) the legend coach has influence and sway and recommends one of his guys; (2) there is a history of success and the admin desires continuity; (3) there is usually loyalty to current staff if they have been winning. My guess is JB steps aside after this season win or lose and Red is named HC. He gets 2 seasons to prove he can deliver continuing success -- at the level of recent years excluding last year. If he doesn't, then they go outside for a total makeover. This is the usual path of what happens.

They are 1 year difference on the SU bench. By some insider reports, JB's choice is GMAC, meaning that he isn't the AD's choice, and likely won't be.
Also, for the betterment of the program, (at least) 2 new coaches on staff would be good.

When a legend coach retires the admin most of the time will stay in house and promote from within. The reasons are (1) the legend coach has influence and sway and recommends one of his guys; (2) there is a history of success and the admin desires continuity; (3) there is usually loyalty to current staff if they have been winning. My guess is JB steps aside after this season win or lose and Red is named HC. He gets 2 seasons to prove he can deliver continuing success -- at the level of recent years excluding last year. If he doesn't, then they go outside for a total makeover. This is the usual path of what happens.

Logical, but it doesn't account for program slippage.

When a program is humming along just fine, then most of the time the admin will stay in house and promote from within -- because continuity is desirable. If we were winning -- say -- 22 games per year and a solid 5 seed, then it's worth rolling the dice to see what the next guy can do.

That isn't our situation. You don't hand the keys to a program in the middle of a near decade of decline to an unproven commodity, and risk further decline.

Logical, but it doesn't account for program slippage.

When a program is humming along just fine, then most of the time the admin will stay in house and promote from within -- because continuity is desirable. If we were winning -- say -- 22 games per year and a solid 5 seed, then it's worth rolling the dice to see what the next guy can do.

That isn't our situation. You don't hand the keys to a program in the middle of a near decade of decline to an unproven commodity, and risk further decline.
I agree with you and feel if next year will be JB's last year that JW has been contacting agents of current head coaches to gauge their interest.

JW has likely been told if there is interest by those coaches that they would want to follow the next Orange head coach and not immediately come here right after JB. So you give an assistant a couple of years and if things don't immediately get good, pull the string quickly.

It may seem mean to give a loyal SU alum/assistant a really short rope but college basketball teams can be turned around quickly in this new environment. This would also make JB feel better instead of bringing in a outsider immediately.

2 years, unless they are really bad, aren't enough. You hire a coach, you give them the time to bring in their kids and get their legs under them. Otherwise, hire someone else.

2 years, unless they are really bad, aren't enough. You hire a coach, you give them the time to bring in their kids and get their legs under them. Otherwise, hire someone else.
Continuity hires should get a much shorter leash…..that’s baked in the decision making.

Guys starting from scratch need 3-5…if that. This is hoops…where 1-2 guys can turn it around in a hurry.

I agree with you and feel if next year will be JB's last year that JW has been contacting agents of current head coaches to gauge their interest.

JW has likely been told if there is interest by those coaches that they would want to follow the next Orange head coach and not immediately come here right after JB. So you give an assistant a couple of years and if things don't immediately get good, pull the string quickly.

It may seem mean to give a loyal SU alum/assistant a really short rope but college basketball teams can be turned around quickly in this new environment. This would also make JB feel better instead of bringing in a outsider immediately.

That's what would make the most sense re: hiring someone like Red. The elephant in the room is that JB won't leave. The AD might be willing to agree to something like that to induce JB to step away. Once that "obstacle" is in the rear view mirror, you reassess based upon performance. But it's much easier to make a big change when the elephant is gone and no longer trumpeting.

That's what would make the most sense re: hiring someone like Red. The elephant in the room is that JB won't leave. The AD might be willing to agree to something like that to induce JB to step away. Once that "obstacle" is in the rear view mirror, you reassess based upon performance. But it's much easier to make a big change when the elephant is gone and no longer trumpeting.

He apparently was not happy with something at UVA, I thought it was being forced to fire staff, or something of that nature. So why wouldn’t he consider SU? I mean, the SU job is not a good job so he may not consider it but could be something JW would try to pull off
I said unlikely still think it is unlikely.

Its the only logical path for 50 years of success other than hiring hop.
You dont walk away from 50 years of success. It would be insane.

Its the only logical path for 50 years of success other than hiring hop.
You dont walk away from 50 years of success. It would be insane.

It would be insane to stick to a pattern of 8 years of decline, because people are afraid of change and prefer to reminisce about the good 'ol days / focus on the past instead of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom