What I'm hearing | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you read my post. I said I wouldn't expect us to be a yearly top 3 seed under Hop but I think he can do better than a yearly bubble team. I'd expect 5-8 seed under Hop, like UConn is now except we wouldn't lose in the 1st round.
UConn hasnt won an NCAAT game since 2016 and there’s no sign of that streak ending. They lost as the higher seed the last 2 years. Not exactly a great run for Hurley lol

Who was their PG to start that season? Didn’t Green sit out the 1st half of the year as a transfer?

I assume 2nd semester he was ruled ineligible hence 1/5 being his last game. They were 11-4 at that point.

I don't know jack about their roster especially that season. However they went 4-13 after QG was no longer playing.

I envision a situation very similar to Syracuse 2021-2022 with a player out of position forced to orchestrate the offense. The regular season finale at the Dome this year was the cherry on top. A team up 5 with :52 left in the game inbounding the ball and somehow lose. Never left that place more disgusted in my life.

Hop is perfect for SU. I find it so interesting that so many dont understand that the school, the region, the area, culture matter. There are only a handful of coaches that can be consistently successful regardless of school or location.
Saben, .Self are two examples.
There are dozens of coaches that dont do well outside of their zone.
Joe Moorhead, Tom C , are a couple of examples.
Hop is another.
Hop will kill it at SU. I hope SU throws the kitchen sink at him. Id take him over Oats, and everybody else including Few. Jay is the only guy outside our program id take over Hop
LOL you would take Hop over everyone else besides Jay Wright? Hop has won 37 games in his last 3 seasons at UW in the PAC. You can't even say he has been mediocre of late.

I'm trying to envision how this board would handle JB averaging 12 wins a season over the last 3 years. When JB retires, do a full blown national search and do not necessarily settle for Hop, Red, or Gmac.

Maybe read the post just above yours
I have nothing against Hop, and that still seems a bizarre reason not to take someone you think had the right plan which you insisted someone else use.

What about it Ed Cooley? He’s a guy who could really take the next step at a place like Syracuse. I think Willard could work, too, but I don’t think it’s realistic as there’s probably too much bad blood there with JB over Taurean, Kadary and other issues.

Will Smith might slap somebody ...

If Hop is hired, the emotional side of me will always root for him. He’s a Cuse guy. Was key to our success. Part of the title group. I wish he had taken over when it was originally time for him.

My rational side would not be excited. Also, a lot would be dependent on the ACs. If he had a vet bench coach and Hart included on his bench, well then I’d be intrigued.

I think the excitement with the fan base will also depend on how the program is when JB leaves, which is no fault of Hop’s. If we have a season where we win 13 games, JB throws kids under the bus and generally just tells fans to get a life, I think that is a bad setup for Hop just by association.

It would also help if Hop got the job, it came with landing a number of big recruits right after being named and a strong AC roster, then I think fans will feel better.

This is all assuming that it’s 90% Hop or Red with some external candidacy but not a true national search, which is what actually want.

Really good post. Mike would have to crush it out of the gate, I agree.
I agree that he would benefit from a seasoned bench coach, and an AAU coach to jumpstart recruiting.
I just don't see it with Red. Go coach in the MAC or something first.

Their isn’t negativity around hiring Mike Hopkins. There is realism in looking at his performance as Washington coach and not thinking his resume is good enough to be the nexf HC.
IM: How is it any worse than Red or Gerry, neither of whom has ever been a head coach, and neither of whom has ever recruited at the level Mike did for over 10 years.

Steve Wojo wouldn’t get the Duke job because of his performance at Marquette.
Mike Hopkins is one bad season away from being fired at Washington.
IM: Mike's team improved 12 games last year compared to the year before. Doesn't that say something? His first team out there also improved by 12 games over Romar's last team (with an NBA 1st round pick). In Mike's 2nd year he improved on the 12 game improvement of year 1 by another SIX games better than that. So that shows me that he can correct situations and reconstruct teams that have fallen apart.

I think wanting a better candidate than his resume isn’t a lot to ask.
It’s not hate and yeah hiring a coach barely above .500 at the 5th best P5 league isn’t exactly inspiring when his success came while Arizona and UCLA were done.

Andy Enfield has done a better job at USC than Mike has done at Washington.
Enfield built a staff with West Coast contacts hiring a dad to get the Mobleys.

I don’t think Mike just because he was the HCIW should jump to the head of the line based on his performance. It’s a damn reasonable take. The

IM: I agree that that a national search would be better, but if this basketball program is going to continue to be "The Boeheim Show" for another year or two, and whatever the transition turns into, if our choices are Red, Gerry or Mike, it's Mike all day every day for me.

I think we pretty much all agree that we should do a national search for a coach, but I also think many of us are resigned to the fact that JW is going to allow JB to choose the next guy, no matter what JB says to deny that, and no matter how stupid that will be. If that is indeed the path, I would actually go with Red between him, Hop and Gerry. Doesn't mean I like that path, I don't.

I think we pretty much all agree that we should do a national search for a coach, but I also think many of us are resigned to the fact that JW is going to allow JB to choose the next guy, no matter what JB says to deny that, and no matter how stupid that will be. If that is indeed the path, I would actually go with Red between him, Hop and Gerry. Doesn't mean I like that path, I don't.
Given that Red recruited Mintz, doesn't that signal that Red is the guy. Mintz is not a sure one and done.

Yep, this scud missle of your's missed the mark by about 1000 miles.

This will all be handled professionally, by seasoned adults...
It will be a John Wildhack production, with obvious deference to Kent and the BOT.
As it should be.

Some of the ideas floated here are incredible.

Given that Red recruited Mintz, doesn't that signal that Red is the guy. Mintz is not a sure one and done.
not so sure about that, Mintz could well be a one and done though certainly not a sure thing as you said , but JB may not be a one and done as far as his retirement plans either

Yep, this scud missle of your's missed the mark by about 1000 miles.

This will all be handled professionally, by seasoned adults...
It will be a John Wildhack production, with obvious deference to Kent and the BOT.
As it should be.

Some of the ideas floated here are incredible.
well I really hope I am being stupid here, and considering my track record, that is quite possible ;)

Some perspective for the "National Search" contingent ...

Spoke to a friend who is quite dialed into Kentucky and its hoops program. No, they are not firing Coach Cal (they wanted to for about 36 hours after their loss, but he has a lifetime contract ... small details).

But I asked my friend, who would be the hypothetical pick if Cal did get the ax or gets hit by a bus later today.

His answer: Chris Holtmann/Ohio State or Scott Drew/Baylor.

Holtmann was his first answer (he acknowledged they very likely cannot pry Beard from Texas). Obviously, this is a game and my friend's opinion is not gospel. But it is informative.

In five years with the Buckeyes, Holtmann has one finish within the top three of the Big 10 regular season (his first year, but those don't count I have heard), he has not reached a Sweet 16, he got beat in the first round once (Oral Roberts, March 2021) and he is boring as Fu*k.

And, hypothetically, he might get the UK gig (or at least be on the short list). If Holtmann is considered top-tier, it ain't gonna be pretty for ole SU on the national search front next year. (Drew cheats, and that fits for UK, but at least he is a legit head coach).

I've made this point a few times, but there are no plug-and-play head coaches/assistant coaches ready to go (see Louisville, see Maryland). Yes, 10 years from now, Coach X from mid-Major Y is going to be a top 10 college head coach. But those guys are HARD to find and the hit rate is going to be pretty dang low.

Yes, there will be a quick "national search" at SU, but it'll be in name only. Our national search will begin with a long-distance call to Hopkins. You know the rest.

Chris Holtmann (!!)
#Perspective

Last edited:

Spoke to a friend who is quite dialed into Kentucky and its hoops program. No, they are not firing Coach Cal (they wanted to for about 36 hours after their loss, but he has a lifetime contract ... small details).

But I asked my friend, who would be the hypothetical pick if Cal did get the ax or gets hit by a bus later today.

Holtmann was his first answer (he acknowledged they very likely cannot pry Beard from Texas). Obviously, this is a game and my friend's opinion is not gospel. But it is informative.

In five years with the Buckeyes, Holtmann has one finish within the top three of the Big 10 regular season (his first year, but those don't count I have heard), he has not reached a Sweet 16, he got beat in the first round once (Oral Roberts, March 2021) and he is boring as Fu*k.

And, hypothetically, he might get the UK gig (or at least be on the short list). If Holtmann is considered top-tier, it ain't gonna be pretty for ole SU on the national search front next year. (Drew cheats, and that fits for UK, but at least he is a legit head coach).

I've made this point a few times, but there are no plug-and-play head coaches/assistant coaches ready to go (see Louisville, see Maryland). Yes, 10 years from now, Coach X from mid-Major Y is going to be a top 10 college head coach. But those guys are HARD to find and the hit rate is going to be pretty dang low.

Yes, there will be a quick "national search" at SU, but it'll be in name only. Our national search will begin with a long-distance call to Hopkins. You know the rest.

Chris Holtmann (!!)
#Perspective
Your scud missed the mark by 2000 miles. I guess Scott Drew is chopped liver. JW will do a one call search. LOL.

Chris Holtmann (!!)
#Perspective
We need the 17-15 out of you, not the 15-17! Can you do that?

Your scud missed the mark by 2000 miles. I guess Scott Drew is chopped liver. JW will do a one call search. LOL.
I think his point is that even though we might be doing a national search don’t be surprised if the interest isn’t there. Ultimately it will end back at hop. Doesn’t mean we didn’t try but the candidate pool won’t be as robust as we all think it will be.

I think his point is that even though we might be doing a national search don’t be surprised if the interest isn’t there. Ultimately it will end back at hop. Doesn’t mean we didn’t try but the candidate pool won’t be as robust as we all think it will be.
Seriously? We are still Syracuse. We still have the Dome and a legacy. If it ends up with us setting for Hop, that’s pretty unsettling. I don’t think that is rational.

Seriously? We are still Syracuse. We still have the Dome and a legacy. If it ends up with us setting for Hop, that’s pretty unsettling. I don’t think that is rational.
We are Syracuse, we are a top 10-20 Program that has been average the last 5 years. While the Dome and legacy is nice, it doesn’t matter as much as many of you think. Our facilities are excellent but the Melo Center is hardly unique anymore. Other schools will pay coaches significantly more, have easier academic standards for recruiting, better NIL contacts and alumni support. Following a legendary coach who will probably still have an office might turn people off.

While I agree that an outside candidate would be nice, I find it unlikely we will steal a top coach from another P5 program.

I don't think we're getting anybody who is already well established at a P5 or top tier school; we want a guy still on the way up.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't get some decent candidates. I mean, we have one of the biggest budgets in all of college basketball, aside from the Dome and the Melo Center, and our reputation, which is still a respected national brand.

Somebody who is coaching for a school that doesn't support their coach to the coach's reasonable expectations is the guy we can get. Or a guy who is looking to move from G5 to P5. A couple of those emerge every season from the NCAA tournament.

I don't think we're getting anybody who is already well established at a P5 or top tier school; we want a guy still on the way up.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't get some decent candidates. I mean, we have one of the biggest budgets in all of college basketball, aside from the Dome and the Melo Center, and our reputation, which is still a respected national brand.

Somebody who is coaching for a school that doesn't support their coach to the coach's reasonable expectations is the guy we can get. Or a guy who is looking to move from G5 to P5. A couple of those emerge every season from the NCAA tournament.
I don’t disagree with any of this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors