What this fan wants to see Thursday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What this fan wants to see Thursday

the SPY starts to have issues if the oline can block a 4 man rush, then the spy is fairly close to the line and the hole is behind him.. But teams that spy us have also gotten a push and then the spy stops the runs and we dont have time to pass either..

roll outs will work if we can control the DE.

Lots of things can work but you really need a better oline to make it happen.

We dont even run well when teams have 5 in the box so teams stop the run and flood the passing lanes.

VT stuffed Pitt and Wake from running , but FSU ran for almost 300. Marschall for 220, rutgers for 250, purdue for 180, OD for 200. The only win came as ODU had 3 Turnovers.

Pretty much if they cant stop the run they lose.

I believe every team since Purdue, who was apparently coached by apes, has had a spy assigned to Garrett.

He can't run with a spy just focusing on him. And I think it has gotten in his head a bit.

I have confidence VT is not coached by apes and will also spy Garrett. Spying Garrett should in theory weaken the defense. We should be able to take advantage but Coach Beck has struggled to make adjustments here.

It looks to me as though we have tried to throw the ball over the middle some, over the spy into an area that is generally wide open. I think sometimes our receivers (sometimes TEs) have struggled to get open and sometimes we have someone open but the OL gets pushed backwards 5 yards or more, giving Garrett little room to make a pass. We are getting a lot of passes knocked down by DL in our backfield. That is a huge problem.

Part of that is because Clemson, UNC and FSU have a bunch of DL who are bigger and stronger than our OL and they have been able to physically dominate the line of scrimmage. Looking at the VT depth chart, their DL isn't as big as the schools we have been playing. They aren't remotely as good either. Our OL should be able to hold their own. Also see a bunch of DBs in the 180 range. Our WRs match up physically better with them than most ACC schools.

VT totally shut down Wake's rushing attack in their last game. They were hurt by some deep balls but they got a lot of pressure on the WF QBs and ended up with 7 sacks. WF QBs fumbled the ball 4 times as well. VT has 13 TFL in the game. That is insane. They blitzed Wake repeatedly with no fear and Wake was unable to take advantage (inexperienced QBs played a role here).

Drones was VT's best running threat and he threw for 321 yards as well.

I expect VT will try the same formula on us that they did on Wake. They will play 7 men in the box, try and take away the run, play press coverage, blitz like crazy and dare us to try and beat them long. And spy on Garrett for good measure.

The same stuff we have been seeing. Hopefully the staff can come up with some answers to this approach and hopefully better matchups will also play a roll in getting better results.

This is a big game for the program, the head coach and the offensive coordinator. Hell, it is a big test for Rocky Long too. VT does not have good RBs. If we can take away the run and keep Drones in the pocket, and throw some stuff at him, we have a good chance to shut their offense down. We have struggled the last few weeks stopping the power run game but VT does not have the OL or RBs we have been seeing. It should not be a big ask to shut down their running game. If we can't, we are going to struggle to stop anyone for the rest of the year.

One guy for VT had 4 of the sacks. A DE who looked like Corey Moore. Cruz will have his hands full at LT. I don't believe Wake had an offensive TD in the game.

Shrader is going to have to beat the spy or we're in trouble. Hard to have a lot of confidence in our receivers, but maybe they'll surprise.

One guy for VT had 4 of the sacks. A DE who looked like Corey Moore. Cruz will have his hands full at LT. I don't believe Wake had an offensive TD in the game.

Shrader is going to have to beat the spy or we're in trouble. Hard to have a lot of confidence in our receivers, but maybe they'll surprise.

I Guess If You Say So GIF

Here is what I don't want to see..

- VT driving down and scoring a touchdown with several chunk plays
- SU losing yards and punting in 3 plays

For me, it will be pretty clear early how the game is going to go.

Here is what I don't want to see..

- VT driving down and scoring a touchdown with several chunk plays
- SU losing yards and punting in 3 plays

For me, it will be pretty clear early how the game is going to go.
Completely agree. We need to put together an opening drive. I am shooting from the hip but I think we haven’t scored on an opening drive this year?

Be more physical. Both sides of the ball. Big hits on D power runs on O. I've seen enough of our passing game.
You have burned Perry's freshmen year and we haven't gotten a pass rush all year, so find a way to get him in the game now.

I believe every team since Purdue, who was apparently coached by apes, has had a spy assigned to Garrett.

He can't run with a spy just focusing on him. And I think it has gotten in his head a bit.

I have confidence VT is not coached by apes and will also spy Garrett. Spying Garrett should in theory weaken the defense. We should be able to take advantage but Coach Beck has struggled to make adjustments here.

It looks to me as though we have tried to throw the ball over the middle some, over the spy into an area that is generally wide open. I think sometimes our receivers (sometimes TEs) have struggled to get open and sometimes we have someone open but the OL gets pushed backwards 5 yards or more, giving Garrett little room to make a pass. We are getting a lot of passes knocked down by DL in our backfield. That is a huge problem.

Part of that is because Clemson, UNC and FSU have a bunch of DL who are bigger and stronger than our OL and they have been able to physically dominate the line of scrimmage. Looking at the VT depth chart, their DL isn't as big as the schools we have been playing. They aren't remotely as good either. Our OL should be able to hold their own. Also see a bunch of DBs in the 180 range. Our WRs match up physically better with them than most ACC schools.

VT totally shut down Wake's rushing attack in their last game. They were hurt by some deep balls but they got a lot of pressure on the WF QBs and ended up with 7 sacks. WF QBs fumbled the ball 4 times as well. VT has 13 TFL in the game. That is insane. They blitzed Wake repeatedly with no fear and Wake was unable to take advantage (inexperienced QBs played a role here).

Drones was VT's best running threat and he threw for 321 yards as well.

I expect VT will try the same formula on us that they did on Wake. They will play 7 men in the box, try and take away the run, play press coverage, blitz like crazy and dare us to try and beat them long. And spy on Garrett for good measure.

The same stuff we have been seeing. Hopefully the staff can come up with some answers to this approach and hopefully better matchups will also play a roll in getting better results.

This is a big game for the program, the head coach and the offensive coordinator. Hell, it is a big test for Rocky Long too. VT does not have good RBs. If we can take away the run and keep Drones in the pocket, and throw some stuff at him, we have a good chance to shut their offense down. We have struggled the last few weeks stopping the power run game but VT does not have the OL or RBs we have been seeing. It should not be a big ask to shut down their running game. If we can't, we are going to struggle to stop anyone for the rest of the year.
I wonder if it has been Beck or if it has been Shrader that has had trouble making the adjustments to the spy.

As many touches for Lequint as possible, followed by Villari and the ball to start the second half for a change.

Need another big effort from LQA - SU's leading rusher and receiver.
Maybe he can throw a few passes?

You have burned Perry's freshmen year and we haven't gotten a pass rush all year, so find a way to get him in the game now.
I feel like during the bye week, a guy like Perry got a ton of reps in practice. My gut tells me we'll see him mix in more the rest of the season.

I won’t be seeing anything tomorrow. I’m currently in Nashville. I’ll let the final score on Friday morning tell me everything

Completely agree. We need to put together an opening drive. I am shooting from the hip but I think we haven’t scored on an opening drive this year?
Yet when Dino wins the coin toss he elects to receive.

I feel like during the bye week, a guy like Perry got a ton of reps in practice. My gut tells me we'll see him mix in more the rest of the season.
I hope so since the burned his redshirt on the jumbo package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom