What Will It Take... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What Will It Take...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it won't be. We'll go like 25-7 and flame out in the second round of the NCAA tournament when we face a hot shooting team. I'm with TinyManInside on this one. Next season is not going to be vintage 2012 34-3 dominance.
I honestly don't see how anyone can expect next year to be vintage Syracuse. We should be better with more depth, but still plenty of questions. We won't be any more up tempo or run anything different in the half court, we'll still be painfully thin physically, maybe Sidibe will be healthy and better but if not, we're looking at another year with unathletic Center play. Shooting looks to be a question mark. Tyus is likely leaving so that's not an easy kid to replace. We, on paper, should have a great forward duo, but that'll have to play itself out too. Will the defense be bad again next year?

There are so many questions and so little absolutes that it's really hard to believe this will be a great team, pushing for a protected seed, until we actually see what we have.

"a .500 record in ACC play since joining.
0 for the ACC tournament. "
welcome to the ACC.

YES ...Syracuse i'd like you to meet Mohammet , Ragdesh, Sidney and Clayton...

CMJ8xGpWEAACRTH.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to agree if we did not have the oldest D1 coach. Settling for grad transfers and poor scouting on guys like Dolejaz, Moyer, Kaleb Joseph, etc and not recruiting a pure PG is not exactly stellar recruiting. 2018 we have a good class coming in. I'd be shocked if we land a top 15 recruiting class ever again in the JB era.

The grad transfers thing had a lot to do with scholarship restrictions. Don’t think we’ll see much of that again.

I disagree that there’s poor scouting on Dolejaz. In time, I think he will be very good. Moyer - we’ll see. He’s got three more years. There was a time where guys weren’t thrown in the garbage after one season.

Pretty sure our class for next year is top 15, last I looked.

"a .500 record in ACC play since joining.
0 for the ACC tournament. "

YES ...Syracuse i'd like you to meet Mohammet , Ragdesh, Sidney and Clayton...

CMJ8xGpWEAACRTH.jpg

Way above my head. You’ll have to break that one down.

I honestly don't see how anyone can expect next year to be vintage Syracuse. We should be better with more depth, but still plenty of questions. We won't be any more up tempo or run anything different in the half court, we'll still be painfully thin physically, maybe Sidibe will be healthy and better but if not, we're looking at another year with unathletic Center play. Shooting looks to be a question mark. Tyus is likely leaving so that's not an easy kid to replace. We, on paper, should have a great forward duo, but that'll have to play itself out too. Will the defense be bad again next year?

There are so many questions and so little absolutes that it's really hard to believe this will be a great team, pushing for a protected seed, until we actually see what we have.

Great post. 100% spot on.

The grad transfers thing had a lot to do with scholarship restrictions. Don’t think we’ll see much of that again.

I disagree that there’s poor scouting on Dolejaz. In time, I think he will be very good. Moyer - we’ll see. He’s got three more years. There was a time where guys weren’t thrown in the garbage after one season.

Pretty sure our class for next year is top 15, last I looked.

After the 2018 class I predict no more top 15 classes and no more NCAA tournaments in the JB era. It's just a prediction. I'm not claiming any authority and I'm not claiming that's what I want to happen. I just don't see the ability to bounce back this time. It's sad, really.

With Howard, Brissett, Carey, and Hughes shooting shouldn't be a question mark. I was willing to give JB a pass for this year, but next year no excuses. Win 25 games and be a contender in March. That is enough shooting.

Last edited:
I guess I just don’t agree that the sanctions were BECAUSE of Boeheim. If they were, I don’t think he’d still be here.

He agreed at that time to the succession plan before wiggling out of it...

I'd be inclined to agree if we did not have the oldest D1 coach. Settling for grad transfers and poor scouting on guys like Dolejaz, Moyer, Kaleb Joseph, etc and not recruiting a pure PG is not exactly stellar recruiting. 2018 we have a good class coming in. I'd be shocked if we land a top 15 recruiting class ever again in the JB era.

And the idea that your only a sinking ship if you're not getting players is not true. You can be a sinking ship if you've got an aging coach, and 3/4 years in the NIT. This isn't going to get better IMO. Next year we'll be improved and everyone with the Orange goggles will be back in fantasy land that our issues are solved, not realizing it's fools gold. I predict next year will be the last NCAA tournament in the JB era.

Dolezaj and Moyer are far from poor scouting. Putting them in the situations they are in is the poor part. There's about 30 kids in the country who could thrive in the ACC playing 30 mins a game as a freshman.

...for the JB apologists to admit that the game has passed him by?

15' - sanctions, but likely NIT
16' - miracle Final Four run because Sparty got upset
17' - NIT
18' - NIT

a .500 record in ACC play since 14-15’.
0 for the ACC tournament.
Unable to run any semblance of an offense.
Makes zero in-game adjustments on offense or defense.
Hasn't recruited a true PG since Kaleb.

I don't want to hear this "sanctions did their job nonsense."

What will it take for folks to acknowledge that he's not getting it done anymore? I love Jim Boeheim for what he's done for Syracuse basketball. Hell, he MADE Syracuse basketball. But one person is not bigger than the overall program. Just as a point of reference, Wooden retired at 65. Dean Smith was 66. Knight was 68 when he retired. Boeheim has indicated he wants to coach another 4 years, until Buddy's done, so he'll be 77 at that point. That's insane. I can't see any way he'll last 4 more years.

He's only hanging on to coach his son. That's incredibly selfish considering he's dragging down this program. What's worked for him in the past isn't working now and he's too old to make wide, sweeping necessary changes to adapt with the times.

How low does this program have to fall before people feel that it's time?
What’s really odd is that these last 4 years were preceded by maybe our best 4 year run in SU history. Can’t discount the ACC move and the NCAA issues. We haven’t adapted well to a better shooting conference. Our philosophy was built out of 30 years of rock fights.

With Howard, Brissett, Carey, and Hughes shooting shouldn't be a question mark. I was willing to give JB a pass for this year, but next year no excuses. Win 25 games and be a contender in March. That is enough shooting.

We need to hold back on predictions for next year until we see who’s on campus in the fall. As usual, there could be a lot of moving parts. I can’t say with absolute certainty about anyone being guaranteed to return. This is Syracuse.

I do know that Bazley, Carey, Buddy and Hughes are likely to be on the team.

I expect Chukwu and Sidibe come back. Sidibe’s health? Who knows.

I have no insight on the others.

But a few things to consider:

Is Dolezaj returning or going back to Europe? Will he be happy coming off the bench and playing limited minutes after starting late this season?

Will Moyer accept an even lesser role than this year? We’re talking possibly some games where he doesn’t play.

I suspect Howard returns. No reason to believe otherwise. Unless he’s itchy to make money in Europe. But I may be reaching.

We need to hold back on predictions for next year until we see who’s on campus in the fall. As usual, there could be a lot of moving parts. I can’t say with absolute certainty about anyone being guaranteed to return. This is Syracuse.

I do know that Bazley, Carey, Buddy and Hughes are likely to be on the team.

I expect Chukwu and Sidibe come back. Sidibe’s health? Who knows.

I have no insight on the others.

But a few things to consider:

Is Dolezaj returning or going back to Europe? Will he be happy coming off the bench and playing limited minutes after starting late this season?

Will Moyer accept an even lesser role than this year? We’re talking possibly some games where he doesn’t play.

I suspect Howard returns. No reason to believe otherwise. Unless he’s itchy to make money in Europe. But I may be reaching.

If people don't return and we don't win we need a new coach. We can't win consistently with fringe NBA pro prospects leaving every year.

After the 2018 class I predict no more top 15 classes and no more NCAA tournaments in the JB era. It's just a prediction. I'm not claiming any authority and I'm not claiming that's what I want to happen. I just don't see the ability to bounce back this time. It's sad, really.

Seems to be based on nothing though. If we got a top 15 class for next year, why can’t we get anymore? The coach is old. We haven’t been that good lately. Still got a top 15 class with those factors.

The game hasn't changed that much. Sanctions killed us.

Except you did say before the season that we didn't need to make 3's to win games. Turns out you were wrong. We cannot win shooting 30% from 3 going forward. Somehow JB needs to find consistent shooting in his offense that is combined with solid defense.

Except you did say before the season that we didn't need to make 3's to win games. Turns out you were wrong. We cannot win shooting 30% from 3 going forward. Somehow JB needs to find consistent shooting in his offense that is combined with solid defense.

We're losing games because of turnovers and a complete lack of post play. Anybody thinking 3 point shooting is in the top 3 issues plaguing this offense, isn't watching the same games I am.

Give me a break. This team sucks. Mostly because of sanctions. They’ve done better than most thought they would.

And we don’t get to just dismiss final four runs. That’s ridiculous.

We should be good next year.

RE: Impact of Sanctions - Imagine having this guy on the roster this season & last. Didn't happen because we didn't have a scholarship at the time. That's a recruiting "miss" that hurts.

Kevin Huerter, who could have been Orange, drops 23 for Maryland in homecoming

Seems to be based on nothing though. If we got a top 15 class for next year, why can’t we get anymore? The coach is old. We haven’t been that good lately. Still got a top 15 class with those factors.

My prediction is an opinion, and it was stated as such. It's no more an opinion than your stance is. Time will tell.

We're losing games because of turnovers and a complete lack of post play. Anybody thinking 3 point shooting is in the top 3 issues plaguing this offense, isn't watching the same games I am.

You have to be kidding? We are 312th in the country in three point shooting and 300th in overall shooting. That's not an issue?

Turnovers were an issues yesterday, but they have been down considerably recently and we won a lot of games where we turned it over a lot earlier in the year.

The guys are dead tired and only three offensive options. Time to move on to next season which should be better.

Yeah these turnovers are really unacceptable lately. Many are happening late in second halves. Lacksadaiscal passing. Frank has GOT to come to the ball and give Oshae a better angle. Still Oshae can’t be making that pass. Fatigue? Team speed is an issue, IMO. Those BC guards were blazing down the court any chance they could for a transition opportunity. No match in footspeed. NC ST guards really gave us problems.

You have to be kidding? We are 312th in the country in three point shooting and 300th in overall shooting. That's not an issue?

Turnovers were an issues yesterday, but they have been down considerably recently and we won a lot of games where we turned it over a lot earlier in the year.

Only 9 2pt FGs I believe yesterday. 9! Lots of missed floaters too. Moyer had that one weird turnaround floater he airballed too.

Yeah these turnovers are really unacceptable lately. Many are happening late in second halves. Lacksadaiscal passing. Frank has GOT to come to the ball and give Oshae a better angle. Still Oshae can’t be making that pass. Fatigue? Team speed is an issue, IMO. Those BC guards were blazing down the court any chance they could for a transition opportunity. No match in footspeed. NC ST guards really gave us problems.

They outplayed those guards in Syracuse. Battle and Howard dominated them and they've outplayed a lot of guards in the conference. The issue is the front court. This is why bees says you make stuff up.

Dolezaj and Moyer are far from poor scouting. Putting them in the situations they are in is the poor part. There's about 30 kids in the country who could thrive in the ACC playing 30 mins a game as a freshman.

Dolejaz was recruited and expected by many reputable posters on this board to be a major contributor, a one and done talent. I posted when we brought him in that this was ridiculous because he's not strong enough, had a language barrier and had to adjust to a new system and a new country.

That in my estimation is poor scouting, or settling on diamond in the rough players because it's much harder to recruit with an old coach and the negative recruiting strategies being employed against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom