What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Brissett would decide in the next couple months to leave, what should the back up plan be? Is there a top 50, top 100 player out there waiting on Brissett to decide? I can see where this is going if Brissett were to leave.
I hope we have SOME type of backup plan. I agree with Alsacs, absolutely ZERO reason not to have a full roster next year, or very close to it.

Sure, if we are going by whispers and scrimmages and not actual D1 basketball games in which there are 500+ minutes of actual statistics which show that he is a very long guard and shot 34% from the field and 27% from 3 while playing in the AAC. Also avg'd 2.5 assits per 40 mins. If he is an offense 1st guy than I am terrified.

Wes Johnson shot .294 and .333 from 3 in 2 college seasons at Iowa State. He obviously had a pretty good stroke and shot it well here(41%).

I haven’t seen Hughes shoot but I’ve seen a lot of shooters with a nice stroke and bad freshman %’s(Nichols, Shumpert, Southerland were all in the 20’s) at SU.

If Brissett would decide in the next couple months to leave, what should the back up plan be? Is there a top 50, top 100 player out there waiting on Brissett to decide? I can see where this is going if Brissett were to leave.

It’s a legit concern. JB has struggled to build a roster with any continuity while UNC keeps returning guys year after year and people wonder why we stink.

Bazley is an offense first player
Carey is an offense first player
Hughes is an offense first player
Buddy is an offense first player
They also all appear to be basketball players. Some of our guys are just athletes that hoop

If he was on the team this year he’d be our best 3 point shooter. And yes I know games are different.
He shot 27% from 3 last year.
In our offense he wouldn’t get a lot of clean looks from 3 but he would be shooting better than Frank, Brissett, Battle because teams would leave him open.

It's a bubble team at best if we add nobody. We can't keep playing 2 people who can't score. The definition of doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results is insanity.
Yet you and others here continue to "complain" and expect it to make a difference. :) So who is the sane 1?

It'll be the 1st one that gets me really worked up. I was fine with MCW, Ennis, Grant, McCullough, Malachi and Lydon.
If OB has a guarantee in the first round he should absolutely grab it.

I think you’re enjoying your reputation on our little board. Otherwise you wouldn’t make stuff up to get a reaction.

And maybe if you just read a little bit of my posts you may actually get an education.

My reputation is just fine and I'm right a hell of a lot more than I'm wrong.

Wes Johnson shot .294 and .333 from 3 in 2 college seasons at Iowa State. He obviously had a pretty good stroke and shot it well here(41%).

I haven’t seen Hughes shoot but I’ve seen a lot of shooters with a nice stroke and bad freshman %’s(Nichols, Shumpert, Southerland were all in the 20’s) at SU.
33% is okay.
Hughes shooting 33% from 3next year wouldn’t be our best shooter this year like Bees is claiming. I would take 33% next year from him.

Yet you and others here continue to "complain" and expect it to make a difference. :) So who is the sane 1?

I’ve supported JB every year until this year. It’s clear to me he has issues building a roster and designing a functional offense in this era. We need some philosophical changes. I’m sick of hearing next year is going to be the year until it isn’t and then the coach makes excuses that guys “aren’t ready”, but they still leave anyway.

Bazley is a fit for the zone.
Carey has the size for the zone.

Buddy was recruited because his dad wants to coach him which is fine.

We recruited Hughes for the size he is 6’6”.

These guys were recruited for the zone.

Everything I’ve read and seen on Carey is about him being a dynamic and aggressive offensive player.

Everything I’ve read and seen on Bazley is about him being a well rounded player who can do almost everything pretty well.

I think you’re doing too much here. Those 2 are not raw athletes with size that we hope develop offensive skills. They’re very good offensive players at this stage.

FT% is the greatest indicator of potential as a shooter. Even when Wes was at Iowa State he shot 75 and 78% from the line. Hughes was at 68%. Its certainly within the realm of possibility that Hughes can be an average 3 point shooter in the 33-35% range, but to think he's going to just go from 27% at EC on 3.5 attempts per game to being an above average shooter for us is really pushing it.

Carey is a scoring guard. My eyeballs tell me that, his dad stated that as well. Bazley responded to people on twitter I believe, to people saying he needed to score more. He said, people need to chill about my scoring, I'm doing what needs to be done right now, or something to that effect. He can fill it if need be. And I think it's obvious since we're projecting hs kids, that no ones seen them play a minute in college, I guess that has to always be pointed out.

I’ve supported JB every year until this year. It’s clear to me he has issues building a roster and designing a functional offense in this era. We need some philosophical changes. I’m sick of hearing next year is going to be the year until it isn’t and then the coach makes excuses that guys “aren’t ready”, but they still leave anyway.

Thing is, nobody was saying “next year is the year” for this season. We all knew what was coming. Same thing in 2015 to a lesser extent. Last year was really the only year we thought we’d be good and we weren’t - that was just a team that took way too long to mesh.

I think our outlook for 2019 at this point is as good as it’s been in a long time. If we have the roster we expect to have and still aren’t good, then I’ll join some of you in being very worried/disheartened.

Really think we’ll be good next year though.

Getting drafted doesn't mean that your game is ready. It means a GM took a flyer on you. If you cannot land a second contract which proves your staying power, it means you were not ready.

No, not really. If you were going to get millions you’d leave too.

Everything I’ve read and seen on Carey is about him being a dynamic and aggressive offensive player.

Everything I’ve read and seen on Bazley is about him being a well rounded player who can do almost everything pretty well.

I think you’re doing too much here. Those 2 are not raw athletes with size that we hope develop offensive skills. They’re very good offensive players at this stage.
I trust Bazley will contribute next year.
I hope Carey is ready as a freshman.
JB will care about his defense and if it’s not good he will play less.
Hughes and Howard are likely the starters.

An offensive guy has to be a guy we are recruiting without worrying if they fit the zone.

Right now that is Bazley and Boeheim.
The bonus for JB is that Bazley fits it. Buddy was for his dad.

We don’t recruit guys like Jalen Brunson because of the zone.
Guys who can score.

So in total you don’t think the 4 new guys are offensive players. Being lengthy doesn’t mean you aren’t an offensive player. This might be the best group of 4 players in one class that can score that we’ve brought in in a long time. You’re just trying to be negative.

Thing is, nobody was saying “next year is the year” for this season. We all knew what was coming. Same thing in 2015 to a lesser extent. Last year was really the only year we thought we’d be good and we weren’t - that was just a team that took way too long to mesh.

Fair enough. We haven't been Syracuse in a long time. I'm done with excuses. I knew this year would be bad(I said we would finish 10th last spring), but next year I expect to win a lot of games. We are past the point of using sanctions as an excuse. I'm trying to be reasonable here, but if we are a green team again forget about beating veteran teams like UNC and Virginia again. We will have zero shot against them.

You need to probably be actually good at offensive things like shooting and passing. We have a severe lack of those things and Hughes D1 history shows that he probably isn't going to be particularly great at those 2 things.

How much do you actually know about his history? How much do you know about his development the past year?

So in total you don’t think the 4 new guys are offensive players. Being lengthy doesn’t mean you aren’t an offensive player. This might be the best group of 4 players in one class that can score that we’ve brought in in a long time. You’re just trying to be negative.

There is no way JB plays Hughes, Carey and Howard together. They are all 6'5'" or smaller. If we played man maybe, but you know zone.

Trying to be negative? If I wanted to do that I would. Trust me.
I am not bullish on these recruits beyond Bazley being enough. Our HC cares about defense first.

Carey is good for the program so we have depth in the backcourt.

Carey and Bazley aren’t enough if we lose Brissett with Battle next year.

And everyone has gushed about buddy as a shooter and hopes he doesn’t redshirt.

There is no way JB plays Hughes, Carey and Howard together. They are all 6'5'" or smaller. If we played man maybe, but you know zone.

Hughes will play the 2 and some 3. But what does that have to do with the discussion?

How much do you actually know about his history? How much do you know about his development the past year?

Well, I don't have the privilege of being important enough to see practices nor have a crystal ball, but I sure do have the ability to look at actual statistics. And the crazy thing is that statistics are real and measurable. They can also be used to make projections and I'd probably have a difficult time finding guys that shot under 30% from 3, under 35% from the field and under 70% from the line in the AAC becoming an above average offensive threat in the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.