What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to be negative? If I wanted to do that I would. Trust me.
I am not bullish on these recruits beyond Bazley being enough. Our HC cares about defense first.

Carey is good for the program so we have depth in the backcourt.

Carey and Bazley aren’t enough if we lose Brissett with Battle next year.

You keep changing your point. You said we don’t recruit offensive players and only recruit for the zone. With these 4 guys, you are wrong.

Well, I don't have the privilege of being important enough to see practices nor have a crystal ball, but I sure do have the ability to look at actual statistics. And the crazy thing is that statistics are real and measurable. They can also be used to make projections and I'd probably have a difficult time finding guys that shot under 30% from 3, under 35% from the field and under 70% from the line in the AAC becoming an above average offensive threat in the ACC.

Hughes can play. That’s all you need to know.

You keep changing your point. You said we don’t recruit offensive players and only recruit for the zone. With these 4 guys, you are wrong.
Hughes is not an offensive guy.
You don’t have stats to back that up.
This is your opinion. I think his size and fit for the zone was a bigger factor.
I don’t think he will be as good as Brissett this year.

Bazley is a top 10 recruit. He is a great offensive prospect. That is good.
Carey is a top 50 guy he isn’t an offensive first guy IMO. You want an opinion that is mine. He won’t play if he can’t play D next year.
Buddy shouldn’t even be cited he won’t play next year.

When we get PGs who aren’t fits for the zone first I will change my tune. We didn’t get Green who could have shut this up but didn’t. We recruit long taller PGs over shorter PGs who score.

This is your opinion. I think his size and fit for the zone was a bigger factor.

Carey is a top 50 guy he isn’t an offensive first guy IMO. You want an opinion that is mine. He won’t play if he can’t play D next year.

When we get PGs who aren’t fits for the zone first I will change my tune. We didn’t get Green who could have shut this up but didn’t. We recruit long taller PGs over shorter PGs who score.

I can't be 100% positive because I'm not JB, but I am 99% sure that if Hughes was 6'3 that he would not have been accepted as a transfer.

Fair enough. We haven't been Syracuse in a long time. I'm done with excuses. I knew this year would be bad(I said we would finish 10th last spring), but next year I expect to win a lot of games. We are past the point of using sanctions as an excuse. I'm trying to be reasonable here, but if we are a green team again forget about beating veteran teams like UNC and Virginia again. We will have zero shot against them.

We had the ball against UNC for the win last week...our situation doesn't change day to day no matter how frustrating it may be.

We had the ball against UNC for the win last week...our situation doesn't change day to day no matter how frustrating it may be.

We lost at home. Next year we get them on the road. We have lost 6 in a row to them because they’ve kept their guys and we can’t. The lack of roster continuity is a problem.

Carey’s not an offense first guy. Interesting. And my opinion of Hughes isn’t mine alone.

I’m simply blown away by a couple people thinking the 4 new guys aren’t offensive players. Totally. Some just aren't ever going to be satisfied.

Carey’s not an offense first guy. Interesting. And my opinion of Hughes isn’t mine alone.

I’m simply blown away by a couple people thinking the 4 new guys aren’t offensive players. Totally. Some just aren't ever going to be satisfied.

Marek was supposed to be this uber athletic forward who could be a point forward that had range and loads of offensive skill.

The hype around newcomers has been so overstated the past 5 years that I think people are cautious on expecting things from guys coming in. For good reason.

We lost at home. Next year we get them on the road. We have lost 6 in a row to them because they’ve kept their guys and we can’t. The lack of roster continuity is a problem.

We're losing guys to perceived paydays (I think they need to get stronger before they go since they seem to get hurt a lot but whatever) and they have more 3 to 4 year types. Ironically Roy said the NCAA eyeballs on them had them go a tier down on players, and they backed into something.

Marek was supposed to be this uber athletic forward who could be a point forward that had range and loads of offensive skill.

The hype around newcomers has been so overstated the past 5 years that I think people are cautious on expecting things from guys coming in. For good reason.

Who said that? If some guys here thought just because he's a white Balkan kid that he's Toni Kukoc doesn't make that what the staff's expectation was.

Who said that? If some guys here thought just because he's a white Balkan kid that he's Toni Kukoc doesn't make that what the staff's expectation was.

Go through his recruiting thread. Plenty of gems in there.

Actually, pull up any recruiting thread on any guy who's committed to Syracuse the past 5 years.

We're losing guys to perceived paydays (I think they need to get stronger before they go since they seem to get hurt a lot but whatever) and they have more 3 to 4 year types. Ironically Roy said the NCAA eyeballs on them had them go a tier down on players, and they backed into something.

It’s exactly what Villanova did as well according to the ESPN article on them. I don’t get why JB hasn’t adjusted. We are getting guys just below UK and Duke who aren’t ready to carry a college team, but can leave after a year. It’s the prime reason why we can’t win more than 20 games the past 4 years.

Go through his recruiting thread. Plenty of gems in there.

Actually, pull up any recruiting thread on any guy who's committed to Syracuse the past 5 years.

That doesn't mean anything. I don't think Adrian Autry was the one posting it.

It would suck losing Brissett - don't get me wrong.

But Bazley is going to be a 3. Moyer would start at the 4 under those circumstances, with Hughes / Dolezaj spelling those two at forward. It wouldn't be a crisis, although again -- it would suck to have Brissett leave.
That is the correct answer. Too bad the mods didn't lock this thread right there.

It’s exactly what Villanova did as well according to the ESPN article on them. I don’t get why JB hasn’t adjusted. We are getting guys just below UK and Duke who aren’t ready to carry a college team, but can leave after a year. It’s the prime reason why we can’t win more than 20 games the past 4 years.

We're getting guys that are going to the G league because they aren't ready and are seeing stars. We had a skinny 6 foot unathletic PG that left while UNC seems to keep the same exact guy through multiple presidencies.

Regardless we've been bad on the depth side of things with our other situation. Hopefully the forward situation now will be looked at as a minor blessing in a couple of years, were we have a nice mix of upperclassmen and stud frosh / sophs.

Well, I don't have the privilege of being important enough to see practices nor have a crystal ball, but I sure do have the ability to look at actual statistics. And the crazy thing is that statistics are real and measurable. They can also be used to make projections and I'd probably have a difficult time finding guys that shot under 30% from 3, under 35% from the field and under 70% from the line in the AAC becoming an above average offensive threat in the ACC.

Look at actual statistics, then consider the actual context in which they occurred. Stress fracture in his foot to start the year. Missed some time and suffered for it. Compare the first and second half of that single season. Add in the anecdotes from practice this year. I don't think anyone's saying he will be the best dude on the court next year, but there's enough there to expect significant improvement and ability.

We go through this every year and expect these magical leaps from some guys and they just don't happen.

Maybe in 2 years but I their talent levels are so low from what they've shown on the court that expecting a lot from either one is asking for a lot.
It's a damn good thing Chukwu took a magical leap this season or there would be mass hysteria around here.

We have to get at least Manuel and another perimeter scorer correct?

My fear is we are square back on the bubble in that scenario. Carey/Howard/Bazley as a big 3 won't cut it unless Moyer/Marek drastically improve their shooting ability. It would be the same scenario as this year.

What if Battle & Brissett both come back?

Depends on the definition of ready. Today's definition seems to be having the potential to develop into an NBA player. It used to mean you were projected as an immediate NBA starter.
It never meant that.

Thing is, nobody was saying “next year is the year” for this season. We all knew what was coming.
Depends on the "when". A lot of people were hyping the '17 recruiting class as an example of how SU was right back in it. Until Quade went to UK and nothing much else happened. I distinctly remember posts about not worrying about the '17 class because Syracuse was offering a bunch of top-30 recruits.

Yeah, after Thompson left and no Quade or Tucker ... well then the optimism shifted to 2018-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.