What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lost at home. Next year we get them on the road. We have lost 6 in a row to them because they’ve kept their guys and we can’t. The lack of roster continuity is a problem.

We're losing guys to perceived paydays (I think they need to get stronger before they go since they seem to get hurt a lot but whatever) and they have more 3 to 4 year types. Ironically Roy said the NCAA eyeballs on them had them go a tier down on players, and they backed into something.

I think you're both definitely right. I've posted similar lamentations -- the guys we get aren't necessarily good enough to put us on their backs and take us to the next level, but they have good enough potential to make the leap to the NBA after 1 or 2 years, BEFORE our program really benefits from their presence. Lots of examples of that.

Meanwhile, UNC keeps guys for four years. Teams like Villanova / Notre Dame / Virginia are getting great program fits who stay all four.

We aren't landing guys who are superstar caliber recruits [for the most part -- Bazley might be, Brissett was also obviously much more capable than most expected] a la UK, Duke, and Arizona, and the guys that we do land bail at the first opportunity. I don't think being in this "in between" space is a good thing -- it sure doesn't help roster continuity. I think we need to pick one approach or the other, and go all in.

The problem JB doesn’t recruit enough offensive first players it’s all fits for the zone.

Yeah, this is simply not true. JB recruited Michael Porter, Mo Bamba, Trevon Duval, Lonnie Walker, Nick Richards, Billy Preston, Quade Green, Matt Coleman, Brandon Randolph, Jordan Tucker, Alex and O'Connell for 2017. Syracuse recruits the same players as Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Arizona recruits.

We've debunked this myth several times.

I wouldn't worry too much about Brissett's 2pa FG%, a 6'8" F shooting 38%+ from 3 in conference while averaging nearly 8 rpg is going to get some attention. I'd be like 20-80 that he leaves. I think the most likely outcome is that he declares to try and get to the combine at least.

That doesn't mean anything. I don't think Adrian Autry was the one posting it.

Ok, and Adrian Autry hasn't posted anything about Hughes. I guess I don't know what you're getting at outside of nobody knows what they're talking about when it comes to recruits.

One poster said that -- compared him to Keith Van Horn and predicted he'd be a one and done -- and he's jumping off that platform to exaggerate the hype.

RF, read the thread. MANY people were going nuts evaluating him, not just one.

He cites stats and is wrong.
You cite nothing and claim to be right.
Hughes is a complete question mark he isn’t a known offensive guy.

The kid was a freshman. Freshmen don't improve? He averaged 8ppg. What is he knows as?

Yeah, this is simply not true. JB recruited Michael Porter, Mo Bamba, Trevon Duval, Lonnie Walker, Nick Richards, Billy Preston, Quade Green, Matt Coleman, Brandon Randolph, Jordan Tucker, Alex and O'Connell for 2017. Syracuse recruits the same players as Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Arizona recruits.

And not one of those guys came here, any guess as to why?

Ok, and Adrian Autry hasn't posted anything about Hughes. I guess I don't know what you're getting at outside of nobody knows what they're talking about when it comes to recruits.

You're talking about what people post about recruits and using that as a cudgel in these debates.

None of them signed.

Meanwhile Donte DiVincenzo was deemed not athletic or big enough to play here and is averaging 14 and 4 on 50 percent shooting and 39 percent from 3 for Nova.

And not one of those guys came here, any guess as to why?

Yes, they picked the schools they thought were best for them. Or maybe they got paid (Billy Preston)?

Your buddy said we don't recruit offensive players. We agree that's not really true, right?

None of them signed.

Meanwhile Donte DiVincenzo was deemed not athletic or big enough to play here and is averaging 14 and 4 on 50 percent shooting and 39 percent from 3 for Nova.

Did we recruit them or not?

Right.

I think you're both definitely right. I've posted similar lamentations -- the guys we get aren't necessarily good enough to put us on their backs and take us to the next level, but they have good enough potential to make the leap to the NBA after 1 or 2 years, BEFORE our program really benefits from their presence. Lots of examples of that.

Meanwhile, UNC keeps guys for four years. Teams like Villanova / Notre Dame / Virginia are getting great program fits who stay all four.

We aren't landing guys who are superstar caliber recruits [for the most part -- Bazley might be, Brissett was also obviously much more capable than most expected] a la UK, Duke, and Arizona, and the guys that we do land bail at the first opportunity. I don't think being in this "in between" space is a good thing -- it sure doesn't help roster continuity. I think we need to pick one approach or the other, and go all in.

The frustrating part for me is people use this as an excuse to stick up for JB when they don’t admit his roster strategy has been questionable at best.

The frustrating part for me is people use this as an excuse to stick up for JB when they don’t admit his roster strategy has been questionable at best.
When it’s people like that they get one word answers from me because debate isn’t possible.

Carey is a top 50 guy he isn’t an offensive first guy IMO. You want an opinion that is mine. He won’t play if he can’t play D next year.

When we get PGs who aren’t fits for the zone first I will change my tune. We didn’t get Green who could have shut this up but didn’t. We recruit long taller PGs over shorter PGs who score.

You've obviously never seen Jalen Carey play. He's a great offensive player. We didn't recruit him for his defense. That's just dumb.

By the way, we recruited GMac and Johnny Flynn both 6 foot guards. We recruited Alterique Gilbert and Quade Green. Both 6 ft guards. Again, this is simply not true.

Yes, they picked the schools they thought were best for them. Or maybe they got paid (Billy Preston)?

Your buddy said we don't recruit offensive players. We agree that's not really true, right?

We may recruit them but they don't come here because of our offense.

You've obviously never seen Jalen Carey play. He's a great offensive player. We didn't recruit him for his defense. That's just dumb.

By the way, we recruited GMac and Johnny Flynn both 6 foot guards. We recruited Alterique Gilbert and Quade Green. Both 6 ft guards. Again, this is simply not true.

We recruited Gilbert because Battle was going to go to Michigan and JB was in panic mode.

Respond to everything I say you aren’t getting a response from me.
You aren’t worth my energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.