When it is JB's time to go out to pasture... | Syracusefan.com

When it is JB's time to go out to pasture...

grant

2018-19 Co-Iggy Hoops ACC Season Record
Are we still going to be running the 2-3 zone exclusively? Do we think if Red gets the nod he will still run the zone as our main defensive scheme? Do not get me wrong here, I think the zone is effective. Many, many times it does slow down our opponents and when we have the length we can be one of the best defensive teams out there. I do not like though that it seems we exclusively recruit for the zone (JG3 being an exception). I think we miss out on a lot of talented offensive players just because they are not a good fit for the zone. Just food for thought.

Also, I do agree that this team is frustrating beyond belief, but like it or not we are stuck with JB until Buddy graduates (and maybe after). I believe there is a light at the end of this tunnel, just need to keep on trucking and hope for the best. LGO

With all due respect to your post and the company line about our zone, I am sick and tired of hearing about our length, it means absolutely nothing if we are slow and not making timely rotations. If you can't identify or get to the hot hand who cares how long you are ???

We hopefully will hire the most successful head coach out there that will fit at SU, that we can get.

If that’s Autry, then I hope he gets a head job elsewhere this offseason and does great.

There’s no point in promoting an assistant from a mediocre program. What would we be clinging to and what continuity would we be trying to preserve?

With all due respect to your post and the company line about our zone, I am sick and tired of hearing about our length, it means absolutely nothing if we are slow and not making timely rotations. If you can't identify or get to the hot hand who cares how long you are ???
110% agree. That was definitely the point I was trying to get across; I may not have worded it well enough though.. :confused:

There are some days when I do just that.

PHOTAXz.gif

The most frustrating part of this is that Mike Hopkins has turned Washington into a better team right now, and he has a better recruiting class that might be top 3 if gets McDaniels to sign. Would he even come back to Syracuse?????

The most frustrating part of this is that Mike Hopkins has turned Washington into a better team right now, and he has a better recruiting class that might be top 3 if gets McDaniels to sign. Would he even come back to Syracuse?????

Why would he?

Better league, better basketball school, better facilities, bigger fanbase, his school that he played for and coached at for 20+ years,etc.

With the money Washington has, if they continue to buy into him and he keeps the fan base rabid he'll get those facilities.

He's getting better players than us in just his second year. I don't ever see him leaving there by his choice.

Better league, better basketball school, better facilities, bigger fanbase, his school that he played for and coached at for 20+ years,etc.

Didn't Hop have an agreement that he'd be the SU head coach this year? Then JB decides to stay and Wildhack lets it happen. So, you really think Mike would come back to the same school that reneged on an agreement they had with him? I see.

With the money Washington has, if they continue to buy into him and he keeps the fan base rabid he'll get those facilities.

He's getting better players than us in just his second year. I don't ever see him leaving there by his choice.

Obviously he is proven as a recruiter.

So far, he’s basically gotten kids he was already recruiting at Syracuse hasn’t he?

Remains to be seen if he will continue to bring in better classes than Syracuse.

He does seem to have a way as far as connecting with players/recruits.

He could win an NC at Syracuse.

Whose the last Pac-10 school to do that? Zona in ‘97? Washington’s ceiling isn’t as high.

Didn't Hop have an agreement that he'd be the SU head coach this year? Then JB decides to stay and Wildhack lets it happen. So, you really think Mike would come back to the same school that reneged on an agreement they had with him? I see.

I don’t know?

I’m not one of those message board guys who pretends to know that whole story and get all worked up about things like that.

You asked why would he and I offered some possible surface level reasons. You didn’t really want a discussion?

I see.

I don’t know?

I’m not one of those message board guys who pretends to know that whole story and get all worked up about things like that.

You asked why would he and I offered some possible surface level reasons. You didn’t really want a discussion?

I see.

I'm interested in any discussion that looks at all sides of the story. To be sure, UW has much larger coffers than SU. As Mike builds his program, facilities will follow. Kids love to play for him. His ceiling is pretty high there.

Obviously he is proven as a recruiter.

So far, he’s basically gotten kids he was already recruiting at Syracuse hasn’t he?

Remains to be seen if he will continue to bring in better classes than Syracuse.

He does seem to have a way as far as connecting with players/recruits.

He could win an NC at Syracuse.

Whose the last Pac-10 school to do that? Zona in ‘97? Washington’s ceiling isn’t as high.
Last B1G champ was Mich St. in 2000.

Hopkins took another job. He was always free to do so. Syracuse didn’t renege.

The next 3 1/2 years are going to be so delightful here at Syracusefan.com.

Bipolar paradise. Some will get back off the ledge when we beat Louisville. Some will lay in wait for the next loss to keep hammering away at the state of the program. Some will say now that no matter how the season turns out that we’re still doomed until JB is gone.

JB did not "decide to stay." Per his agreement with the chancellor, he was leaving at the end of the 2018 season. It was all set for Mike to become the coach. Then, in the 2017 off-season, Mike was offered the job at UWash, and he took it. It was an awkward time to find and hire a new coach.The school did the logical thing and asked their HOF coach to stay on. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Worse city to live in. I'm sorry, it just is.

JB did not "decide to stay." Per his agreement with the chancellor, he was leaving at the end of the 2018 season. It was all set for Mike to become the coach. Then, in the 2017 off-season, Mike was offered the job at UWash, and he took it. It was an awkward time to find and hire a new coach.The school did the logical thing and asked their HOF coach to stay on. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Interesting. Not the story I heard. Nor the one that many others here did. Guess we'll never know.

The program is in major trouble and folks that think GMAC is the choice as HC when JB hangs it up are delusional, JB still walks on water in the eyes of Wild, but if we do not make the tourney, do not have success with the 20 class and do not make the tourney next year the pressure will be enourmous bc 1-new dome and 2-$$ pouring in for Dino and going the other way with JB

For the 1st time ever for me since the late 80s, my view is football is a superior program to
B-ball and now I am Giving a much larger if not all allocation of my yearly gift to football, Chris Gedney May he Rest In Peace would be so happy...

I was one of the biggest HOF HC JB we trust on here, it changed earlier this year and each day that goes by its only worse. I could write pages upon pages of all the negatives.

I love JB, I can write pages and pages, but it is time

Our next HC has to be someone with hc experience , breath of fresh air, vision from experience and credibility.

It can’t come soon enough, no one deserves to walk out when they so please, it’s time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom