When Should JB retire?

When should JB retire?

• Retire at end of this season

Votes: 116 69.0%
  • Announce after this season that 2022-23 will be his last

Votes: 33 19.6%
  • Sometime between 2024 and 2026, he’s got one last shot

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Ride or die, to death do us part. JB is a lifer.

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Selling our soul to the devil great idea.

I get that hes friends with JB but the guy owned Boehiem over the years JB has won a lot of games and been very good head to head against all the other top coaches he played a lot apart from Slick Rick.

No way. Pitino 5 years younger probably works but you are rolling the dice on age. JB aged as well as any coach post 70 but still...look at our recruiting.

Do people actually like the guy and I'm alone in hating Pitino? Also if we are talking coaches we dislike I'd take Willard over Pitino due to age.

How many Final Fours has Willard been to?

Unless Nate Oats life long dream was to coach the orange, I don’t think we’ll pry him from Alabama.

Simply put: They already have him, he’s succeeding, and they have way, way more money than us.

I’m not buying this idea that we’ll get him because we’re a bigger basketball school.

All that being said, I have no idea who our next coach should be.

It just makes too much sense he goes out with his sons.

Let’s face it, our incoming recruiting class is solid but not full of guys that will be big contributors right away. This isn’t Dior or Lands or Westry. I like the class but it’ll be a few years before those guys really produce.

Would JB really come back for Joe, Jessie, Benny and our freshman? That team is a potential disaster unless you land a stud transfer (or 2).

I think if Dior and those kids still were coming, JB would give it another shot. But next years roster could be worse than this years.

I am definitely intrigued by someone like Boyton. But there is a side of me that is curious to see how GMac coaches a roster that was put together by JB. I would just be super curious to see how he’d utilize Joe and Benny; how he’d use the freshman, his defense, etc.

I am not sure the in-house choice is the best move. But it would make for a super interesting season
I too don't see why he'd come back to that roster. I also think the AD will make the easiest choice and promote Autry or Gmac.

The really really sad thing is, if he made this year about assembling the best roster possible, we’d have a totally different outlook. We were a Sweet 16 team that could have returned everyone (except AG). Instead, we lost our 2 (arguably 3, and 4 if we count AG) best athletes.

It’s one thing to have an average regular season again - but so much of the fan base see this as JB basically sacrificing a year so his sons can play for him. This year seemed to be about JB having the roster he “wanted” as opposed to getting the best roster possible. That won’t get a pass from many fans.

And the crazy thing is, Jimmy IS good, Joe HAS improved. It’s just that he’s giving guys 30+mpg who are more of 15mpg guys in the ACC. It’s not the players. JB put these guys in an awful position and I hope our fan base keeps that in mind when they’re trashing Jimmy, Cole, etc.

If Jimmy got 15 mpg, do you think he’d be upset? I don’t. Do you think If Buddy only played 30mpg instead of 38 he’d be upset? I don’t. JB is making his kids bigger targets than they deserve. They are both very good players and both belong at this level, which is almost the sad thing. He’s wasting what could have been a really good year if he was able to get Q and Kadary to stay. Both his sons would be playing important roles on a very good team. Buddy would be getting cleaner looks and more rest. Joe would be a great 6th man. Jimmy would be the 7th man coming off the bench and going against the opponent’s backups, could really do some damage. With Kadary and Q we probably beat Colgate, VCU and GTown. We are most likely top 3 in the ACC coming off a great tournament run last year. And with the improvement of Jessie, we’d be a legit top 15 team. Instead, his sons are taking 25 shots a game and we are 5-5

Jim might stay to get the record. I wouldnt bet against 4 more years

End of next year, keep 22 class intact and announce next year is his last year with the successor already named. For all the bitching this site does for the downturn in recruiting, it would be stupid to do it any other way.

Unless Nate Oats life long dream was to coach the orange, I don’t think we’ll pry him from Alabama.

Simply put: They already have him, he’s succeeding, and they have way, way more money than us.

I’m not buying this idea that we’ll get him because we’re a bigger basketball school.

All that being said, I have no idea who our next coach should be.

He’s not staying at that job.

You can’t elevate them above where they currently are. There is no brand. They aren’t Duke basketball they are Duke football.

Yes we are one of the schools he’s leaving for if the offer is right. UNC in 2 years Kansas after Self etc.

This is his best team Shackleford and Quinnerly could be in the NBA. Davidson and the center are home run 5 stars and we get Benny for freshmen recruits lololol. There actually isn’t anywhere to go but down it’s time for him to jump to a better job that’s how it works.

Selling our soul to the devil great idea.

I get that hes friends with JB but the guy owned Boehiem over the years JB has won a lot of games and been very good head to head against all the other top coaches he played a lot apart from Slick Rick.

No way. Pitino 5 years younger probably works but you are rolling the dice on age. JB aged as well as any coach post 70 but still...look at our recruiting.

Do people actually like the guy and I'm alone in hating Pitino? Also if we are talking coaches we dislike I'd take Willard over Pitino due to age.

Dude, Boeheim has been hit with sanctions twice. We think the program was hunted down for minor violations, but the fact is, the NCAA vacated over 100 wins (unjustified, IMO), but that's what they did. Our reputation around the country has been harmed. The Bernie Fine stuff did us no favors, either.

So you're worried about the blow back of hiring Rick Pitino as his last job in college basketball, working where he got his start? I think it would be great press, and it would be great for the program.

And, just for safety's sake, most of the really great Italian restaurants in Syracuse have closed!

When he decides to.
You should know better then that, you were around like I was when Marc Guley drove the program into the ground. I don't ever want to go back to letting someone do that again. JB has had a great run but enough is enough, time to leave and go play golf.
It's time for a change, we should not be a program just barely getting into the tournament. This program should be top 15 at least every year.

Dude, Boeheim has been hit with sanctions twice. We think the program was hunted down for minor violations, but the fact is, the NCAA vacated over 100 wins (unjustified, IMO), but that's what they did. Our reputation around the country has been harmed. The Bernie Fine stuff did us no favors, either.

So you're worried about the blow back of hiring Rick Pitino as his last job in college basketball, working where he got his start? I think it would be great press, and it would be great for the program.

And, just for safety's sake, most of the really great Italian restaurants in Syracuse have closed!
Wowowowow

This take is beyond bad.

Fab Melo cost us the wins and most people know that we got penalized at an SMU football level for keeping him eligible while other schools get total passes for violations 10x worse. He was an esl student that was the definition of someone here to just play ball and not study.

Fine allocations we’re proven to be 100% false. No grey area or anything just complete lies and a witch hunt. Bernie was gay and had a crazy wife.

You want Pitino because games against him were basically automatic losses just say that. I dislike him for that reason mostly not the other stuff.

If we want an older coach let’s call Roy Williams or wait a year and lure K out of retirement…

You should know better then that, you were around like I was when Marc Guley drove the program into the ground. I don't ever want to go back to letting someone do that again. JB has had a great run but enough is enough, time to leave and go play golf.
It's time for a change, we should not be a program just barely getting into the tournament. This program should be top 15 at least every year.

So now Jim Boeheim = Marc Guley?

Marc Guley

"However, he also had problems relating to the black players, and that along with other personal issues led to a slow disintegration of the program."

I've heard but cannot confirm that the 'personal issues' included a drinking problem. Guley's career arc is closer to Quentin Hillsman's than Jim Boeheim's. And, as I recall, we were in the Sweet 16 just last spring. Why don't we wait and see how this season turns out before we try to turn Jim Boeheim into Marc Guley.

He is more powerful than the chancellor or AD. I don't know what else to say. He will retire when he wants to. There no point about talking when it should have happened. It will happen when he decides.
Agreed. If there's anything we've learned from JB over the years, he's brutally honest (for better or worse) and he's flat out said many times he isn't retiring after this year. It will be his terms, so 2022 he will be there, probably longer.

He's also said (in the pre-season video series) that schools like Duke & UNC have proved hiring from within is the best course of action. Whether you agree or disagree, this is most likely what will happen. JB will ultimately give his recommendation from within (Red or GMac) and that will be that. So let's stop with the "outside hire" and "retire this year" when the man who has the most power at the university (JB) has basically told us what will happen already. Speculation is baseless.

Apparently, FOX doesn't give 2chits what the NCAA thinks/did as this was the graphic FOX displayed just prior to tip yesterday against G'Town! ;):)

1639331640748.jpeg

Pitino would crush it at Syracuse. He is a great coach.
If Freezes Junk can get a second chance at Liberty, Pitino could certainly get one at SU.

2015. He just prolonged our transition by a decade by hanging past original plan. Transitions are never easy. They are like a band aid , you just need to rip it right off. Not to mention that historically the guy following THE GUY is not the guy, usually at least one after that before you get back to where we need to be. We might as well sign off until 2030 ( at best) . :confused:

I always thought that the only two ways JB would ever stop coaching would be:

1) health
2) third set of sanctions

I have no reason to think that will change. I mean, maybe he goes out with his kids, dunno, but that’s never been in my mind. This guy has stayed in upstate NY coaching his whole life. I mean, heck, even when he was threatening to leave if he didn’t get the HC job, it was to go to Rochester I think.

If Freezes Junk can get a second chance at Liberty, Pitino could certainly get one at SU.

So let's bring in Freeze for football and Pitino for basketball!

1639334313080.png

I always thought that the only two ways JB would ever stop coaching would be:

1) health
2) third set of sanctions

I have no reason to think that will change. I mean, maybe he goes out with his kids, dunno, but that’s never been in my mind. This guy has stayed in upstate NY coaching his whole life. I mean, heck, even when he was threatening to leave if he didn’t get the HC job, it was to go to Rochester I think.

I might be misremembering but I’m pretty sure we saw someplace that JB told this incoming class he’d be there to coach them next year.

Jim wont retire until he gets the record.

We would be playing for championships with slick Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom