Where is Taurean...? | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Where is Taurean...?

eh, I say give him the release. He doesn't want to be here, fine. Looks petty. Wish him well and move on.
TT can have his release. It just can't be to the Hall. You can't allow schools to come in and poach your players. It looks to Syracuse like the Hall tampered. It is pretty obvious that Syracuse welcomes an investigation in to this. Otherwise, they would say here is your release TT. Go where you want.

TT can have his release. It just can't be to the Hall. You can't allow schools to come in and poach your players. It looks to Syracuse like the Hall tampered. It is pretty obvious that Syracuse welcomes an investigation in to this. Otherwise, they would say here is your release TT. Go where you want.

Out of curiosity, what would an investigation lead to if they found Seton Hall guilty of tampering?

So..if we block the seton hall transfer/not release him, he can't play there period even after the year sit out...am I correct on that?

So..if we block the seton hall transfer/not release him, he can't play there period even after the year sit out...am I correct on that?
No. The only think it changes is that he can't get a ship this year. Financial aid will do that for him. It doesn't change much. But if he is the only kid you have ever blocked, it sends a message that we know you cheated and we aren't happy about it.

Out of curiosity, what would an investigation lead to if they found Seton Hall guilty of tampering?

He'd never be able to play there and probably some other wrist slap type penalties.

He'd never be able to play there and probably some other wrist slap type penalties.

Doesn't seem worth it to me. Sanctions against the Hall I can get behind, not letting the kid play basketball at his school of choice seems unnecessarily vindictive

eh, I say give him the release. He doesn't want to be here, fine. Looks petty. Wish him well and move on.
Moving on is one thing. If JB decides to do that, fine. Wishing him well? Yeah, no, sorry, not doing that at this point.

Doesn't seem worth it to me. Sanctions against the Hall I can get behind, not letting the kid play basketball at his school of choice seems unnecessarily vindictive

Not vindictive at all in my view. There have been numerous players that have transferred over the years from SU, and SU has repeatedly allowed them to do it seamlessly, without issue. Why, because the correct protocol/procedure was followed. TT is not a child, but a young man/adult who needs to be held accountable for his actions and in the manner in which he - voluntarily chose - to handle the situation. There are obvious reasons (as some have mentioned) why procedures are in place here...and there are/should be consequences for not acting in accordance with them.

A poster on the Seton Hall board (one of their 4 fans) said a week ago that TT and his mom told the staff he would be transferring back in May. JB said fine, I'll give you your release but not to Seton Hall. That's when they fell out of communication. SU coaches were then in the dark if he would just suck it up and return because the family made no announcement and never asked for a release. Does anyone believe this?

This is not about TT, it is about tampering and showing other programs and athletes that there is a price to be paid by both for either party involved. You simply can not allow this to go unchallenged.
TT could have avoided this by just announcing his intentions early in the cycle and requesting a release, he did not, therefore he needs to pay for his behavior. This is not vindictive this is justice.

Bingo. It's not "petty" to refuse the release given what went on here. In fact, all due respect to CraigForth, saying we're "petty" puts the blame on us, when this has nothing to do with us. Only two of the three parties here knew what was going on. SU was left in the dark, from all appearances. Normally I'd take the high road. But when the staff's got a team assembled, classes have started and you find out another school's poaching your players ... then it becomes about THEM.

Last edited:
Not vindictive at all in my view. There have been numerous players that have transferred over the years from SU, and SU has repeatedly allowed them to do it seamlessly, without issue. Why, because the correct protocol/procedure was followed. TT is not a child, but a young man/adult who needs to be held accountable for his actions and in the manner in which he - voluntarily chose - to handle the situation. There are obvious reasons (as some have mentioned) why procedures are in place...and there are and should be consequences for one's negligent actions.

It's over though, sometimes its better to just move on. Just from a PR standpoint, unless we can prove tampering, I would recommend just moving on. Do we want to look like Pitt did when they wouldn't release their player to UNC. They got excoriated in the national media. The court of public opinion has shifted in the direction of giving kids a wide birth in transferring. Jay Bilas wrote a lengthy article talking about this very subject like two weeks ago. The NCAA is setting up a committee to look into the subject. Does Syracuse want to be a case study in these discussions?

This is not about TT, it is about tampering and showing other programs and athletes that there is a price to be paid by both for either party involved. You simply can not allow this to go unchallenged.
TT could have avoided this by just announcing his intentions early in the cycle and requesting a release, he did not, therefore he needs to pay for his behavior. This is not vindictive this is justice.

giphy.gif

Ok man

It's over though, sometimes its better to just move on. Just from a PR standpoint, unless we can prove tampering, I would recommend just moving on. Do we want to look like Pitt did when they wouldn't release their player to UNC. They got excoriated in the national media. The court of public opinion has shifted in the direction of giving kids a wide birth in transferring. Jay Bilas wrote a lengthy article talking about this very subject like two weeks ago. The NCAA is setting up a committee to look into the subject. Does Syracuse want to be a case study in these discussions?
This isn't the standard situation where a player wants to attend another school and isn't happy with whatever -- playing time, coaching, team chemistry ... that's up to the player in most situations.

In TT's case, way too much time passed and way too many things were going on behind the scenes. You can't let other programs poach your players and just say oh well. That's not fair to TT's teammates, the fans or the University. Screw public opinion. When people find out what went on they're not going to blame SU.

Last edited:
Bingo. It's not "petty" to refuse the release given what went on here. In fact, all due respect to CragForth, saying we're "petty" puts the blame on us, when this has nothing to do with us. Two of the three parties here knew what was going on. SU was left twisting in the wind. Normally I'd take the high road. But when the staff's got a team assembled, classes have started and you find out another school's poaching your players ... then it becomes about THEM.

No doubt Taurean (his mom) went about this the wrong way. That's not even a question in my mind. I think I would take the high road and be done with it, just my opinion, I understand why people feel the way they do about the situation.

I think pretty clearly we can show any difference with any other school. We never block anyone. This was done at the last possible moment. It is obvious we were victimized here. If they want to make us the case study, be my guest. Let it be the case study in poaching.

I think the only way SU takes such a hard stance here is if they have hard evidence of the tampering.

Perhaps the silence is an indication that SU is patiently waiting for SHU to play its hand? If they tampered, they won't go to NCAA to look into the issue. Either way, he's gone and out of our hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom