Where is Taurean...? | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Where is Taurean...?

What a wacky story.
I was about to suggest that Seton Hall isn't quite an NBA 'black hole,' since they recently had Whitehead drafted, but he only went #42 in 2016, and before that you have to go back to 2002 to find another NBA draft pick (two: Eddie Griffin and Samuel Dalembert). But, hey, talent will emerge. If he has it, he'll find his way.

Crappy thing to do, but whatever. The sting is gone for me. I liked his jumper and feisty play, but he was pretty much a wash when defense is considered. Best of luck to him, but now i get to see more MMoyer and Sidibe.

What a wacky story.
I was about to suggest that Seton Hall isn't quite an NBA 'black hole,' since they recently had Whitehead drafted, but he only went #42 in 2016, and before that you have to go back to 2002 to find another NBA draft pick (two: Eddie Griffin and Samuel Dalembert). But, hey, talent will emerge. If he has it, he'll find his way.

Crappy thing to do, but whatever. The sting is gone for me. I liked his jumper and feisty play, but he was pretty much a wash when defense is considered. Best of luck to him, but now i get to see more MMoyer and Sidibe.

That's pretty crazy. Thompson was 5 years old the last time a Seton Hall player got drafted in the first round.

Maybe so. If he does, what are the odds he takes mother with him? I mean, if Syracuse was too far...
"Take mom"??? You say this like it's a question, or that he has an option...Mommy is going!

I find it disturbing that people opine on familial relationships of families they have never met. All I know of his mom is that she raised a seemingly nice young man, who evidently did well in school and has never been in serious trouble.
By reports, the Battle family talked Tyus out of Michigan because it was too far away. Not sure I see a difference, other than timing and destination, yet the Battle's family dynamics are lauded here.

I find it disturbing that people opine on familial relationships of families they have never met. All I know of his mom is that she raised a seemingly nice young man, who evidently did well in school and has never been in serious trouble.
By reports, the Battle family talked Tyus out of Michigan because it was too far away. Not sure I see a difference, other than timing and destination, yet the Battle's family dynamics are lauded here.

A nice young man? He completely ignored his teammates and coaches all summer long. He held the program hostage and then no showed. A nice young man would've transferred in march so Syracuse could move forward. Him and his mom completely screwed the program. That's not something a nice young man with good parents does.

A nice young man? He completely ignored his teammates and coaches all summer long. He held the program hostage and then no showed. A nice young man would've transferred in march so Syracuse could move forward. Him and his mom completely screwed the program. That's not something a nice young man with good parents does.

Did you listen to Francis' pod re: Taurean? Also, re: Miami. Last year's offense for Miami wasn't pretty. When it counted it was a struggle to get to 50 points against them however in the ACCT. But, the past few years the numbers support the opposite regarding their offense. It's not just the weather re: Miami. They have very good coaches and are recruiting very well lately. So, obviously there are disadvantages for every school but their offensive play and scheme isn't one of them.

2016-17: Miami 135, Syracuse 38
2015-16: Miami 20, Syracuse 116
2014-15: Miami 64, Syracuse 188

Agree with your first sentence, but you don't see a difference? C'mon...

Last edited:
This is what happens when you take chances in recruiting and if Hop is here the situation never happens or Hop solves it! I just think with the Penalties that SU should be more careful in who gets those scholarships.

What a sugar-coated, naive, revisionist way to look at this. How about these differences off the top of my head:

1. Tyus made his own initial choice with michigan, then had second thoughts. His family supported him. TT made his own decision with SU and actually joined the team, then [add] after he got scolded for terrible defense, she had a hissy-fit, took over the process and started behaving like his agent-handler;
2. TB and his family were honest with UM staff about his change of heart, and communicated with the staff. TT pretended he was still on the team, kept staff in the dark and refused to return phone calls all summer;
3. TB communicated his change of heart in a timely manner. TT deliberately went underground and delayed his announcement until the first day of classes. This not only left his teammates twisting in the wind, it prevented the staff from recruiting a replacement.
4. With TB, SU didn't diminish itself and tamper with him once his initial decision was made. By contrast, TT's "Mom" was secretly hustling offers on the AAU circuit knowing that SU was counting on her son to report for the season, and it seems apparent that SH had contact before we granted any release.

I mean, BOL and good riddance. It's over and we've moved on. He's the Hall's problem now. But let's not pretend that this was cool.

Last edited:
I think it is because TT didn't go through the proper channels when leaving SU and going to SH. So it could be a loop-hole where he is a regular academic transfer student who will "tryout" for the team when his year is done. Then SH can give him a scholarship for the 3 years he has left. Here is the NCAA rule.

"If your current school does not give you written permission-to-contact, another school cannot contact you and encourage you to transfer. This does not preclude you from transferring; however, if the new school is in Division I or II, you cannot receive an athletics scholarship until you have attended the new school for one academic year."

So what this tells us, reading between the lines, is that SU was pissed at the way he did this, not leaving us a chance to recruit a proper replacement, so we denied our consent to Seton Hall.

Taurean is irrelevant to me now but inquiring minds want to know:
1. Did he ask for permission to talk to other schools and request a release?
If yes, proceed to question 2
If no, skip to question 3
2. Did Syracuse grant permission and release?
If yes, good luck Taurean
If no, proceed to question 3
3. Who is paying the roughly $60k it will cost for him to attend Seton Hall?

Taurean is irrelevant to me now but inquiring minds want to know:

3. Who is paying the roughly $60k it will cost for him to attend Seton Hall?

Grant in aid, based on family's income level, Pell Grants.

Grant in aid, based on family's income level, Pell Grants.

And if you think these come to anywhere near 60K, then you are very naive. Student loan mayhap, which he plans to repay from going pro, good luck on that.
In any case he gone, who cares.

What a sugar-coated, naive, revisionist way to look at this. How about these differences off the top of my head:

1. Tyus made his own initial choice with michigan, then had second thoughts. His family supported him. TT made his own decision with SU and actually joined the team, whereupon his mother had a hissy fit, took over the process and started behaving like his agent-handler;
2. TB and his family were honest with UM staff about his change of heart, and communicated with the staff. TT pretended he was still on the team, kept staff in the dark and refused to return phone calls all summer;
3. TB communicated his change of heart in a timely manner. TT deliberately went underground and delayed his announcement until the first day of classes. This not only left his teammates twisting in the wind, it prevented the staff from recruiting a replacement.
4. With TB, SU didn't diminish itself and tamper with him once his initial decision was made. By contrast, TT's "Mom" was secretly hustling offers on the AAU circuit knowing that SU was counting on her son to report for the season, and it seems apparent that SH had contact before we granted any release.

I mean, BOL and good riddance. It's over and we've moved on. He's the Hall's problem now. But let's not pretend that this was cool.
His mom had to sign the initial LOI.

This is great work by Mike. Very telling that no one will say whether TT was given his release.
The way Mike writes, " For now, TT is enrolled at Seton Hall," is ominous, and I see many different possibilities on the table. Very strange situation indeed.

Last edited:
Seton Hall tampered. We need to push for that investigation. It may also be why everyone is mum.
Typically we have shied away from ratting on programs, however, I wonder if this is the exception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom