But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Who wrote this, Frozen?

Robert Frost.

Robert Frost?

Someone is using poetry from Robert Frost to make a point on a Syracuse sports message board? Can this be?

I'm stunned by the incongruity of it. I thought the English Majors were found in the library at game time.

On a Middlebury College sports board --- if such a thing exists --- one might expect it.

Robert Frost?

Someone is using poetry from Robert Frost to make a point on a Syracuse sports message board? Can this be?

I'm stunned by the incongruity of it. I thought the English Majors were found in the library at game time.

On a Middlebury College sports board --- if such a thing exists --- one might expect it.
Oh ye of little faith

Oh ye of little faith

Guilty as charged.

But when the TV camera pans across the assembled crowd in the Dome and when I read the majority of the posts on here, “erudite” isn’t the word that pops into my mind.

Is he under contract to us or something?

The guy left for playing time because he was only going to play with the walkons next year. He was #7 on the depth chart this year and barely saw 10 minutes of PT. Next year he goes from 7 to 10. When he made his decision he thought he had Bazley ahead of him too.

Hey I'd have taken him on my team to be the 10th guy in an 8/9 man rotation too I don't disagree with you I just don't think its reasonable to expect him to want to fill that role. Its not a huge loss good athlete but a lot of mistakes and he couldn't even hit FTs.

Playing time would be a weird reason to leave IMO. He either sat the bench a lot here and played against elite talent in practice or he goes somewhere else where he plays even fewer minutes b/c he transfers and has to sit out. Then, the following year, he's either in really good position to log a bunch of minutes here (baze and Brissett gone, he's a 4th-year player, a huge advantage against even a talented frosh) or in position to log a bunch of minutes somewhere else.

The only guaranteed PT is if he ended up going to a much lesser school, which is fine but then he's logging 35 mpg at a school in the MAAC in front of 1500 people.

I'm late to the discussion and it's the kid's decision, so it is what it is, but PT seems like a weird reason in his particular case.

Guilty as charged.

But when the TV camera pans across the assembled crowd in the Dome and when I read the majority of the posts on here, “erudite” isn’t the word that pops into my mind.
You can live vicariously for sports and still be erudite. Everyone had to take the SATs. Erudite is a good SAT word!

You can live vicariously for sports and still be erudite. Everyone had to take the SATs. Erudite is a good SAT word!

At Princeton High, we were frequently used as the test subjects for SAT questions as Edducational Testing Services (ETS) developed tests. ETS is located in Princeton.

When we took the SAT, there wasn’t a question on it we hadn’t seen before in one form or the other.

Another response.

There is plenty of beauty and pathos in sports.

The author James Michener grew up just north of Philadelphia in Bucks County.

He was once asked by an interviewer that given his happy, even privileged, upbringing, where did he experience the tragedy, disappointment and failure that an author would need to understand to write about those things.

Michener responded, “ Well, for years I have been a Philadelphia sports fan ...”

Alright! Enough already with Matt Moyer! He wasn't going to play next year because we had 4 other guys (Baz, Oshae, Hughes and Marek) who are WAY better than him. With Baz gone now its 3. He still isn't going to play.
I like the kid, but he was a turnover waiting to happen. Let him transfer down to a level where he can have some success.
Post Standard reporting MM taking official visit to Xavier. Wouldn't call that a level down. They were in Top 10 most of season.

Based on what we saw early in the season pre-ankle injury, does the interest of these teams seem surreal to anyone else?

I thought whoever posted early about him being a “MAC-level talent” had it right.

I guess a kid that big and athletic is worth a scholarship slot. After all, they have 12 of them. But it seems to me to be “betting on the come”.

Yes, letting this happen is a huge mistake by Boeheim.

Well, that would be “your opinion, Man”.

Don’t you at least want to see how this works out? How will Moyer do
At whatever school he ends up at and how might his replacement do, to the degree we can identify who that is?”

If he wants to be a starter and/or significant contributor any time soon, I don’t see that happening at Xavier.

Based on what we saw early in the season pre-ankle injury, does the interest of these teams seem surreal to anyone else?

I thought whoever posted early about him being a “MAC-level talent” had it right.

I guess a kid that big and athletic is worth a scholarship slot. After all, they have 12 of them. But it seems to me to be “betting on the come”.

I've never seen a kid under 7'0" that looked less prepared to play here after a year in the program - it could be that there is just a natural awkwardness to his game though (and maybe in practice you see the upside a bit more). He did have some nice moments in spite of that. I still think he'd be a contributor based on his athleticism, and a glue guy that could occasionally fill up a score sheet with boards (with a lot of put-backs), but he was definitely a head-scratcher for me considering his ranking.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear his name again after he leaves, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a nice tenure wherever he goes either. I have no clue as a lot of people seem to see something in the kid's game. I do know he was as spazzy as anything I've ever seen on the court at this level - that's counting walk-ons.

I am sorry but a Kansas State degree isn’t getting Moyer there.

He probably likes the coach but I can’t see the kid going to Kansas State which isn’t a good academic school.

Last edited:
I've never seen a kid under 7'0" that looked less prepared to play here after a year in the program - it could be that there is just a natural awkwardness to his game though (and maybe in practice you see the upside a bit more). He did have some nice moments in spite of that. I still think he'd be a contributor based on his athleticism, and a glue guy that could occasionally fill up a score sheet with boards (with a lot of put-backs), but he was definitely a head-scratcher for me considering his ranking.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear his name again after he leaves, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a nice tenure wherever he goes either. I have no clue as a lot of people seem to see something in the kid's game. I do know he was as spazzy as anything I've ever seen on the court at this level - that's counting walk-ons.

Yeah I agree. Just looks like a miss by the staff. Doesn’t resemble the player in H.S. who did do a lot of the garbage stuff well. Waters on a recent pod said he would be surprised if he contributes at Xavier or wherever he will land. He also said Moyer wasn’t happy with this role. Well what did he expect to be? A featured ISO guy, lol? The spazzy/awkwardness is just bizarre and can’t quite figure it out. He and Kaleb Joseph were two HUGE misses from the staff when numbers were down as they were expected to be solid program guys at minimum. Joseph can’t even get off the bench at Creighton.

I guess I can see it easier from the school’s perspective. It doesn’t appear the player and the parents learned very much from this experience.

Why not a school like Northwestern?

Status
Not open for further replies.