Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game?? | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game??

Not for nothing but it’s the same group that defended Coach P at the tail end of his tenure following 3 horrible recruiting classes and 3 mediocre seasons.

Throw in some “newer” guys that clung to Shafer like cigar smoke till the bitter end.

In hindsight Shafer might’ve been better than Babers but I know for sure Tim Lester > than Gilbert. Lester by the way beat both Pitt (44-41) and the divine Sean Lewis at Kent St (64-31) this season.
How many top 25 teams did Shafer beat?
Only bowl he made was in the dead Big East.
For the love of god he is not better then Dino

The complex is going to be a game changer
Any particular reason they are waiting? Does the ship have to burn to the ground first?

Uh he won his bowl in the ACC lol. 2013 Syracuse Orange football team - Wikipedia

He also went 4-4 in the ACC that year. 2-6 in one year and 1-7 the other. Babers has gone 2-6, 2-6 6-2, 2-6 1-9... so we haven’t improved at all in the ACC

I don’t know the win versus VT and BC were nice. Difference between 3 and 5. I’m not the guy to answer though as I don’t think anyone can win here consistently. don’t care who you hire ( for the most part)

Gumprod was painful bc it was close to the success of P and proved that P wasn’t as bad as the lobbyists suggested. Made people look foolish

At this point we stink no matter what the decision is. That’s where I land and I feel like Dino represents my alma mader well. Seems to be a good steward of a terrible program. May get us to a bowl but if not he’s not a raving lunatic like shafer was

I’m with scooch in that I’m exhausted by SU football. Whatever happens is ok w me. I’m watching but w zero expectations. It’s still entertaining to me.

I’ll also add having a guy last through down years is a positive to me. May help the school PR wise NOT be a SEC meat grinder.
I respect both of you, and these posts are kind of my point. Seems like you both think SU will suck forever. It’s fine to feel that way. But if that’s the case, then why not just keep rolling the dice and hope we hit the lottery? What’s the point of keeping on with a guy almost no one thinks is anything special? Because Dino’s a nice guy? Hell, I’m an incredibly nice guy and a good leader to boot, give me a few million a year to run an irrelevant football program. I’ll be better at press conferences too. ;)

I’ll keep saying, I don’t expect Dino to be fired, and I’m not passionate about it either way. I just don’t find the program entertaining. Its become a chore to follow. I’m fine with moving on. Six years is a helluva audition.

Maybe not, but their record is strikingly similar in a lot of discouraging ways.

I respect both of you, and these posts are kind of my point. Seems like you both think SU will suck forever. It’s fine to feel that way. But if that’s the case, then why not just keep rolling the dice and hope we hit the lottery? What’s the point of keeping on with a guy almost no one thinks is anything special? Because Dino’s a nice guy? Hell, I’m an incredibly nice guy and a good leader to boot, give me a few million a year to run an irrelevant football program. I’ll be better at press conferences too. ;)

I’ll keep saying, I don’t expect Dino to be fired, and I’m not passionate about it either way. I just don’t find the program entertaining. Its become a chore to follow. I’m fine with moving on. Six years is a helluva audition.
I’m not disagreeing w that dice roll at all

I was thoroughly excited for Dino. I wasn’t prepared For this to flame out or worse become a situation where malaise set in. I assumed by year 6 we would be Ok St or some snazzy offensive machine.

We aren’t and I’m weirdly ambivalent. I have pro teams I root for that satiate my need for success and an SU hoops team that is deliriously intriguing and successful

SU Football is entertaining for me. I love watching it but it doesn’t life or death me anymore. I follow on this board so we can only imagine the point casuals are at. Not good

Marrone had the program poised to be on a sustainable path. It’s a shame he bailed before we were really on solid footing.
We thought Dino was there, then he wasn’t.

I get the feeling people are afraid we return to a GumpRob-esque status. To that I say, so what? Is there really a huge difference between being a 3 win program and a 5 win program. It all nets out the same: irrelevance.

It’s just so weird to me that people would be so hopeless, and yet want to retain the coach that seems to have shown he’s incapable of being anything more than mediocre.
Yup, complacency kills and so does fear of the unknown. And churning through coaches... Average tenure of a HC in the modern CFB era? Its ~4 years depending on how far back you set your snapshot. Churning through coaches every 3 to 4 years is status quo now. IMO no need to worry about a reputation anymore cutting 'em loose after 3 or 4. Its proven Dino cant hack it, move on

Yep, we thought that for an off-season and 5 quarters. Then it was over, we just didn’t entirely know it yet.

Again, if no one can win at SU, then why cling to Dino? At least turn things over every few years to inject some life into the fanbase.
It’s a valid point. I don’t know what Wildhacks business style is. He must have hired fired at ESPN. I suspect this isn’t a decision he makes alone.

It sits w JW and the board. No idea what they view SU FOOTBALL. They may already look at it as a huge sunk cost in light of hoops looking for a new coach in 3ish years too.

Rocky roads ahead either way he goes

And why keep following the program if you think it’ll never improve and a guy that loses 5/6 years is the best we can get. The best we can get wins 1 year out of 6, I can’t write that without laughing. So we hire someone new and hope it’s better, that guy loses all 6 seasons. What’s the difference lol.

My thing is how much do dollars matter and does jettisoning Babers this year (with big buyout) leave us searching bottom barrel for a replacement budget wise? If so I would rather keep Dino into next season, fire him if he fails (an expected lower buyout) but you have budget for a mid tier ACC salary and at least a better selection to choose from presumably. Also I could care less if our new coach has northeast ties. Not sure who you all think we are going to routinely reel in from a guy with NE ties. If you want good NE players, win games and go to bowls.

I guess no guarantees either way but would have been fun to watch. maybe he’d come back? He’s the OC at GB but doesn’t call plays.
He would not come back. He was a candidate for NFL head coaching positions last year. Just was listed as one of the top 20 head coaching candidates for NFL jobs. He isn’t coming back to Syracuse to potentially ruin that. He is on his way to being an NFL coach.

My thing is how much do dollars matter and does jettisoning Babers this year (with big buyout) leave us searching bottom barrel for a replacement budget wise? If so I would rather keep Dino into next season, fire him if he fails (an expected lower buyout) but you have budget for a mid tier ACC salary and at least a better selection to choose from presumably. Also I could care less if our new coach has northeast ties. Not sure who you all think we are going to routinely reel in from a guy with NE ties. If you want good NE players, win games and go to bowls.
Having NE ties is important to maybe keeping a successful coach here. The reason Coach White left Arizona and came to Cuse was because he has family in Queens. I doubt he jumps ship after this season to go back out west

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom