Will JB be forced out if ‘22-‘23 is another losing season? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will JB be forced out if ‘22-‘23 is another losing season?

JB is at the point now where he will leave when he decides to leave.
I disagree. At some point the conversation has to be had around a forced retirement. We’ve been on a slow and steady descent into almost being irrelevant. Another losing season just adds to that descent into irrelevance. Do we want Syracuse basketball to end up like Syracuse football? A once proud program that only clutches to its decades old history?

The program is teetering on an edge.

We had just won 4 games in a row. Jesse was certainly playing better later than he was early.
We weren’t making the tournament with a healthy Jesse. Stop playing the hypothetical games to try to justify the abysmal team that JB rolled out on the floor this year. The ACC only got 5 teams in the tournament this year. VaTech wasn’t getting in without winning the ACCt. ND and Miami barely got in. We finished below .500 in the worst season of ACC basketball in the past 40 years. We stunk and the whole conference stunk.

Within the past month or so, a few people here made references to Boeheim recently doing some aspect of running his practices/coaching from a screen in his office instead of in person. Could somebody elaborate on this, and why that change was made, if so?

Within the past month or so, a few people here made references to Boeheim recently doing some aspect of running his practices/coaching from a screen in his office instead of in person. Could somebody elaborate on this, and why that change was made, if so?
It's been talked about for a few years that the assistants run a lot of the practices while he watches from his office. I have 0 knowledge of it other than what is mentioned here.

It's been talked about for a few years that the assistants run a lot of the practices while he watches from his office. I have 0 knowledge of it other than what is mentioned here.
Not true. Individual work is done with assistants, but after that JB takes over.

100% Hop ran the practices on the court at Melo Center. JB would watch everything from his offices and then come down whenever he wanted and would take over.

No idea how practices at Dome were run but I would guess JB runs them entirely.

At the Melo center the assistants run the first half of practice. JB watches over.

I disagree. At some point the conversation has to be had around a forced retirement. We’ve been on a slow and steady descent into almost being irrelevant. Another losing season just adds to that descent into irrelevance. Do we want Syracuse basketball to end up like Syracuse football? A once proud program that only clutches to its decades old history?

The program is teetering on an edge.
Agree. We aren't talking about some lower level employee you can kind of cover for until they decide to call it quits. This is the president of a very important division of the SUAD, to put it in business world lingo.

Not a huge JAB fan but he deserves, if not has more than earned a respectful exit after next season. Beyond that he should be gone and given all the hoopla a 50+ year tenure deserves. But I would be extremely disappointed to see him coach beyond the 22/23 season. Hope the AD sees it this way.

He is not being forced out. No one up there has the stones to do that. He will coach until he decides not to or until Juli gives him an ultimatum.

I’ve been to about 100 practices over the years but admittedly none in the past few years. People are exaggerating. JB has always had his assistants and trainers handle the beginning of practice which includes stretching, warming up, running, some individual drills. Then JB takes over. Sometimes during that early portion he’s sitting on the bench or a chair and sometimes he’s in his office or elsewhere.

I think we're looking at a much easier non-conference schedule next year.
They lost to Colgate and Georgetown. G'Town lost every single conference game they played. How much easier are we talking here? Outside of Auburn and Nova, who did they really play OOC this year??

We weren’t making the tournament with a healthy Jesse. Stop playing the hypothetical games to try to justify the abysmal team that JB rolled out on the floor this year. The ACC only got 5 teams in the tournament this year. VaTech wasn’t getting in without winning the ACCt. ND and Miami barely got in. We finished below .500 in the worst season of ACC basketball in the past 40 years. We stunk and the whole conference stunk.
First, don't ever tell me what to do. Second, I wasn't doing that. You don't mind if I don't take your word for what we will look like next year before we know who is going to be on the team, do you?

I love Jesse, but we were losing games and meddling around .500 all year with Jesse. It’s not like the wheels fully came off after he went down.

jesses last 9 games - team record - 6-3

after jesse went down 3-6

Plus the team was playing its best of the season in his last 4 games - 4-0 winning streak

if you cant see that he made massive improvement through the season and was getting better and better not sure what to tell you...he was the key to the offense and winning basketball. the team finally "clicked" just as jesse went down...then cratered without him.

returning jesse, joe, sy, (?) cole, benny, frank...plus the infusion of talent next year (portal?) ...will be a better team almost undoubtedly...

Give me Cole, Jesse, a motivated JB (which he will be, I suspect) and a few roster upgrades, and we may see some significant improvement. Now, regarding the pressers…

I’ve been to about 100 practices over the years but admittedly none in the past few years. People are exaggerating. JB has always had his assistants and trainers handle the beginning of practice which includes stretching, warming up, running, some individual drills. Then JB takes over. Sometimes during that early portion he’s sitting on the bench or a chair and sometimes he’s in his office or elsewhere.

I can confirm this.

JB will retire when he wants to, he's never getting "forced out".

Also, no one will get hurt at all next year. Our starting center being unable to finish the season was a once-in-a-lifetime fluke that has never affected SU before. We can definitely assess next year's prospects assuming no one gets injured and we'll need minimal depth.

He is not being forced out. No one up there has the stones to do that. He will coach until he decides not to or until Juli gives him an ultimatum.
Then there is a bigger issue with the leadership of Syracuse University and their Athletic Department if they can't have an honest conversation and hold JB accountable for his decline in performance over the past decade.

I'll argue he's already had an extra 5-7 years beyond a normal exit time frame. He was supposed by be done in 2018. It's looking like Kent Syverud had it right back in 2015. I'm not sure what happened after 2018, other than Hop leaving. Did Hop's exit buy JB a lifetime contract??

jesses last 9 games - team record - 6-3

after jesse went down 3-6

Plus the team was playing its best of the season in his last 4 games - 4-0 winning streak

if you cant see that he made massive improvement through the season and was getting better and better not sure what to tell you...he was the key to the offense and winning basketball. the team finally "clicked" just as jesse went down...then cratered without him.

returning jesse, joe, sy, (?) cole, benny, frank...plus the infusion of talent next year (portal?) ...will be a better team almost undoubtedly...
The 6-3 record coincided with weaker opponents in the schedule. The 3-6 occurred after our schedule got tougher.

Again, I love Jesse, but let's not play some uber-hypothetical game by assuming we would have gone 10-0 after he went out. He probably would have made a difference in one or two more games, but he wouldn't have gotten us to the NCAAt.

I thought you might chime in because I know you and your Dad have been to many practices. Hope he’s doing well.

He's doing great -- soaking up some rays in Florida as we speak.

Following up on that practice question brought up earlier -- my experience [from 100s of practices, including a handful at the Melo center] is that JB is almost always around. It's true, he delegates more of the warm up part of the practice to others, and lets the assistant coaches coordinate work with their positional groups, but he leads the main portions of practice.

A typical practice starts with the players doing "extra" work before practice begins. So, some of the players will arrive early to get in extra shooting, or work on specific stuff -- either with the ACs or more commonly with the team managers. The coaches only have X amount of direct contact time per week they are allowed to have conduct practices, so they are diligent about following the NCAA rules [which is why the team managers help are the ones doing some of the peripheral extra stuff]. Some players will also be coming from class, and practices can be at different parts of the day, so you might have one or a few trickle in right as practice begins, depending on the day.

Then, the players go through a body warmup and stretching, led by an athletic trainer. This might be the portion of practice some posters are referring to -- but honestly, there's not much for JB to do while they are stretching. I suppose sometimes he's in his office beforehand, but more commonly he's around -- sometimes talking to reporters from the PS, or having conversations with recruits and their parents, talking with prominent visitors [like ESPN announcers who might be in town and stop by], etc. while the athletic trainer puts the team through the paces.

Then they usually do some form of drills to work up a sweat -- so full court running, UCLA drills, or competitive shooting [or some combination of all of the above]. Again, JB is there and observing, but the intent here is conditioning. Sometimes he intervenes, but he usually lets the ACs handle coordinating things while the team works up a lather.

From there, they do positional work. Again, the ACs lead this segment of practice, but JB mingles / roams around, and sometimes gets more directly involved.

When they begin working on structured offense, or scrimmaging, JB takes over and leads things from that point forward. But not all practices are the same. Early in the season, they might be doing more drills and position work. Once the games start, they're implementing game strategy and do more scrimmaging, so JB takes over practices earlier.

But it is hard for me to envision him just sitting in his office and communicating to the team through an intercom, like Charlie from Charlie's Angels. He usually is around but not directly involved only at the beginning, when the players are doing the boring stuff.

Last edited:
The 6-3 record coincided with weaker opponents in the schedule. The 3-6 occurred after our schedule got tougher.

Again, I love Jesse, but let's not play some uber-hypothetical game by assuming we would have gone 10-0 after he went out. He probably would have made a difference in one or two more games, but he wouldn't have gotten us to the NCAAt.
the first 10 games of the season they barely passsed the ball to jesse

next 10 they included him and won at a much higher rate

i have zero doubt that the team finishes comfortably above 500 if jesse doesnt go down. zero. i think they win 4 or 5 more games than they did, minumum ...starting with Duke in the ACCT.

why are you making this about making the tourney or not?

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT another possible losing season record not NCAAT.

yeah I agree...the roster was poorly constructed this year. and?

i think almsot all of the players on the roster could have individually been on a top 10 team with the right parts around them, though. and given proper roles.

the pieces are there...especially if other proper pieces are added. i dont think losing jimmy and buddy will hurt next years team mcuh at all...as evidenced by the duke loss in acct.

it may seem very very far away from a good roster given the record this season...but talent isnt exactly the issue here, imo. its fitting the pieces together and bringing in the right new adds.

point about jesse is - if jesse comes back and picks up where he left off - (which is at least a little questionable given his injury) he will be a major force next year.

he was the best player on the team before he went down...and likely to be even better next year.

i never said jesse going down was what cost the team a national title ...or even tourney birth - but with him I do think there was a chance of winning ACCT. va tech won it after all. losing jesse did indeed hurt the team.

i have zero doubt that the team finishes comfortably above 500 if jesse doesnt go down. zero. i think they win 4 or 5 more games than they did, minumum ...starting with Duke in the ACCT.

i think almsot all of the players on the roster could have individually been on a top 10 team with the right parts around them, though. and given proper roles.

the pieces are there...especially if other proper pieces are added. i dont think losing jimmy and buddy will hurt next years team mcuh at all...as evidenced by the duke loss in acct.

it may seem very very far away from a good roster given the record this season...but talent isnt exactly the issue here, imo. its fitting the pieces together and bringing in the right new adds.

point about jesse is - if jesse comes back and picks up where he left off - (which is at least a little questionable given his injury) he will be a major force next year.

he was the best player on the team before he went down...and likely to be even better next year.

i never said jesse going down was what cost the team a national title ...or even tourney birth - but with him I do think there was a chance of winning ACCT. va tech won it after all. losing jesse did indeed hurt the team.

His FGA/game was basically pretty steady with one or two outliers after we lost to Colgate.

The offense was never changing. Never. He was fifth in usage rate out of the five original starters.

It's water under the bridge now, but he was never getting more looks than he was going to get. We barely had anyone that could even pass him the ball.

We are clearly seeing different things and that’s okay. I see the worst Syracuse team in 50 years that we just watched. I think Jesse is a nice talent and he’s clearly improving.

But I look at our roster for next year and there’s not a lot to be hopeful about unless some things change fairly dramatically with the portal.

I can’t stress enough that we had our first losing season in over 50 years against what was arguably the weakest ACC conference over that same time period. It’s all about perspective. I see an extremely weak team. We are very far removed from the Syracuse basketball of the first 30 years under JB.

I know this was his first losing season in 46 years, but the downward trend is more concerning. Slow and steady decline over the past decade.

Will he be forced out if he has a losing season next year? Looking at the roster, we may be lucky to win 10-12 games. This year was the worst Syracuse team in 50 years, but next year could be worse.

I know JB won’t be fired, but I think you have to force him out if he has another losing season and doesn’t retire on his own. Hopefully JB does the right thing.
I want him out, no matter the results next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom