Will JB be forced out if ‘22-‘23 is another losing season? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Will JB be forced out if ‘22-‘23 is another losing season?

I disagree. At some point the conversation has to be had around a forced retirement. We’ve been on a slow and steady descent into almost being irrelevant. Another losing season just adds to that descent into irrelevance. Do we want Syracuse basketball to end up like Syracuse football? A once proud program that only clutches to its decades old history?

The program is teetering on an edge.
Awful comparison between SU basketball and football. We have been mostly irrelevant in football besides late 80's and the 90's. JB has had the basketball team relevant for a much longer period. It's hard not to imagine him retiring after next season though as he will be pushing 80. I'm scared of what the post JB era may bring if they hire internally or bring back Hop.

Awful comparison between SU basketball and football. We have been mostly irrelevant in football besides late 80's and the 90's. JB has had the basketball team relevant for a much longer period. It's hard not to imagine him retiring after next season though as he will be pushing 80. I'm scared of what the post JB era may bring if they hire internally or bring back Hop.
Look at the bright side, Crean is now available. and I think Stallings is as well.

We had a shot of making the tourney this yr if Jesse were healthy

My issue is that we're turning into football, seems to be a key injury or two, and we don't have the depth.

I like the potential starting 5 of Symir, Joe, Benny, Jesse, Cole. Behind them you have Frank and 5 freshmen (hopefully a 6th one who would push for a starting job).

Not a lot of room for error or injury as currently constructed.

Look at the bright side, Crean is now available. and I think Stallings is as well.
One of the weirdest and predictably awful-est (is that word? eh it works) hires ever.

My issue is that we're turning into football, seems to be a key injury or two, and we don't have the depth.

I like the potential starting 5 of Symir, Joe, Benny, Jesse, Cole. Behind them you have Frank and 5 freshmen (hopefully a 6th one who would push for a starting job).

Not a lot of room for error or injury as currently constructed.

this assumes no portal jumpers... i am expecting at least a couple portal jumpers.

this assumes no portal jumpers... i am expecting at least a couple portal jumpers.

I think Frank, if anything. I really don't know the JBA status, but I didn't even list him, I thought people are assuming he would leave.

I'd be really surprised if that starting 5 goes anywhere.

Next years roster is way better than this year. Way deeper, way more options... just by numbers we should be able to find a combination that works

We are clearly seeing different things and that’s okay. I see the worst Syracuse team in 50 years that we just watched. I think Jesse is a nice talent and he’s clearly improving.

But I look at our roster for next year and there’s not a lot to be hopeful about unless some things change fairly dramatically with the portal.

I can’t stress enough that we had our first losing season in over 50 years against what was arguably the weakest ACC conference over that same time period. It’s all about perspective. I see an extremely weak team. We are very far removed from the Syracuse basketball of the first 30 years under JB.
well im looking at it like i always do with a bit of orange colored glasses

BUT

I think the pieces in place - Jesse, Joe, Sy, Frank, Benny, Cole (?) etc

thats the majority of this years roster

PLUS

the 5/6 recruits

PLUS

2-3 portal players

depending on who the staff adds from the portal and how the freshman play -(im assuming at least a few of them will be ready to jump in and contribute)...I can see the team being a lot better. its basically this years team minus the bros...which as good as they were at shooting, they held the team back defensively a lot and limited the offense to iso ball...i think merely losing the boeheims will be addition by subtraction.

Of course

IF

cole doesnt come back, if benny doesnt improve, if any unexpected departures happen, if none of the freshman are ready, if none of the portal players added are good, then yeah...the team will be pretty bad.

But I think the roster will be deep and full of options for JB to use...hes just gotta show he knows how to balance a roster at this point.

hes shown that he gets it right by the elimination games of a season over the last few years...but needs to get it right much earlier, generally.

Next years roster is way better than this year. Way deeper, way more options... just by numbers we should be able to find a combination that works
Way younger. Don't forget way younger.

Outside of youth, my biggest concern is there's no top flight player that's the next heir apparent to lead the team. I think we all want Benny to rise up to his 5 star talent, but he'll need to make some major leaps forward in the offseason, and I'm just not hopeful that he will, especially if he's rehabbing an injury.

Do we really think JG3 is the go-to guy next year?

Way younger. Don't forget way younger.

Outside of youth, my biggest concern is there's no top flight player that's the next heir apparent to lead the team. I think we all want Benny to rise up to his 5 star talent, but he'll need to make some major leaps forward in the offseason, and I'm just not hopeful that he will, especially if he's rehabbing an injury.

Do we really think JG3 is the go-to guy next year?
i actually think thats a good thing. buddy for example was the de facto "man" of the team

and the guys did better without him jesse and benny in the last game of season

i think balanced teams are better, generally

yeah it would be nice to have a carmelo but aside from that...when there isnt a dominant ball hog or genuine star...it opens things up for everyone else to play

AS A TEAM

if i had one wish for the offense its get away from iso play

not having a go to guy makes that more likely

i actually think thats a good thing. buddy for example was the de facto "man" of the team

and the guys did better without him jesse and benny in the last game of season

i think balanced teams are better, generally

yeah it would be nice to have a carmelo but aside from that...when there isnt a dominant ball hog or genuine star...it opens things up for everyone else to play

AS A TEAM

if i had one wish for the offense its get away from iso play

not having a go to guy makes that more likely
The best Syracuse teams typically have at least one, if not two, top flight players as the go-to guys. I’d say Buddy really wasn’t on the same level as many of our go-to players of the past.

I think we were all hoping Benny was our next go-to guy, but he didn’t really show anything this year that would make me think he’s going to be that guy for us.

So many open questions about next year’s team. Right now I’m a glass half empty type of guy because I’m not seeing a lot of positives about our future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom