Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St

I mean... no? I guess I don't get it.

Shooting does not make them unathletic (it's all relative of course). Being below average athletically makes someone below average athletically. We have shooters that are not overly athletic. We've historically had plenty of athletes that cannot shoot. Any many combinations in between.

Does anything exist in hoops similar to SparQ in football or the draft combine numbers( vertical, 3 cone etc)? We tend to evaluate by eye test which is obviously helpful but be interesting to evaluate with actual numbers to compare.

Good luck, Woody.

Hope that you will be successful there at Oklahoma State.

will be rooting for you to succeed.

Looking for Junior to commit within the next two hours...
college basketball sport GIF by Duke Men's Basketball

I guess being able to shoot the ball is unathletic.
It's a skill for sure, not an athletic trait. Even so, you gonna just have 4 guys hang out around the perimeter? They're gonna be shooting A TON of contested threes because of the lack of dribble penetration and athletes that can get by their defenders. I'm not saying this team can't win, I am just very concerned with the lack of athletes. This doesn't even take into account the defensive end where we have seen the limitations on the top of the zone with JGIII and Buddy because of their lack of athleticism.

Does anything exist in hoops similar to SparQ in football or the draft combine numbers( vertical, 3 cone etc)? We tend to evaluate by eye test which is obviously helpful but be interesting to evaluate with actual numbers to compare.
I think they do. It might even just be SparQ modified some for hoops.

For some reason I recall Andy Rautins did a lot better on that than some expected.

I think they do. It might even just be SparQ modified some for hoops.

For some reason I recall Andy Rautins did a lot better on that than some expected.

Would love to track that down for our guys as a comparison.

I guess being able to shoot the ball is unathletic.
Shooting the ball has nothing to do with athleticism. Shooting is a skill that can be mastered by unathletic people. I would agree with what I think your point is in that if I had to choose between a skilled player or an athletic player, I would take the skilled player. I think a group of skilled players is more fun to watch play, at least offensively, than a group of really good athletes (although nothing says we cant have skilled players who are also athletic). However, the lack of athletes Cuse will have on the roster next year is concerning for games against pressure man to man teams. I do like the experience/IQ factor they will have going for them, and I can see the chemistry being strong as well.

It's a skill for sure, not an athletic trait. Even so, you gonna just have 4 guys hang out around the perimeter? They're gonna be shooting A TON of contested threes because of the lack of dribble penetration and athletes that can get by their defenders. I'm not saying this team can't win, I am just very concerned with the lack of athletes. This doesn't even take into account the defensive end where we have seen the limitations on the top of the zone with JGIII and Buddy because of their lack of athleticism.
I’m not sure they’ll be as contested as you say. 3-4 guys who can shoot like we look like we can will spread the defense way out past the 3pt line. That typically does good things for offensive basketball. Ball movement can make up for some dribble penetration. I’m intrigued.

(Also think “sky is falling!” is boring, lame)

Interesting landing spot for him, as they were also mentioned as a candidate for Kadary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom