Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St

Newton was probably misled about playing time during his recruitment which lead to entering the portal...playing for Boynton is a good move for Woody....you have to walk it like you talk it in todays recruiting world with the portal in play. The days of a coach controlling a kids destiny are over.

I was wrong, I didnt think he did enough to land at Power5 with many more experienced players in the portal.

Next time we see Woody (on TV) he'll have gained 20 pounds of muscle and have 15" biceps. After a serious lifting program. Also likely sporting a cowboy hat and boots.

Next time we see Woody (on TV) he'll have gained 20 pounds of muscle and have 15" biceps. After a serious lifting program. Also likely sporting a cowboy hat and boots.

If it makes you feel better our starting two guard will have gained twenty pounds after a serious lifting program as well. But it behooves you not to ask what exactly it is being lifted.

Newton was probably misled about playing time during his recruitment which lead to entering the portal...playing for Boynton is a good move for Woody...you have to walk it like you talk it in todays recruiting world with the portal in play. The days of a coach controlling a kids destiny are over.
He was more advanced and "ready" then the coaches thought which sounds like a good thing but when you have folks in front of him, it kind of ruins the "plan". He really improved from junior to senior year in HS and that jump shot got sweet. They were hoping he would get limited time the first two years and really blossom junior and senior year.

He was more advanced and "ready" then the coaches thought which sounds like a good thing but when you have folks in front of him, it kind of ruins the "plan". He really improved from junior to senior year in HS and that jump shot got sweet. They were hoping he would get limited time the first two years and really blossom junior and senior year.
It really is terrible when kids are better than they thought...

Think about how ridiculous that sounds, from a team who was an 11 seed.

Incredible.

So he was too good too soon and that was a problem?

"the plan" needs to be more flexible.

teams with regimented methods rarely are the very best.

they can usually be pretty good and maintain a decent level...and if the stars align and their plan actually equates to the best plan with what they have and everything clicks that year,,,then they can overacheive...

but, overall, really limits a lot of things a team can be...

the idea that a player like woody was too good for the plan just screams change the plan. somehow a great thing...that a player was more ready than anticipated became a negative bc of the plan.

idk...maybe every team must have a plan and this is just how it is.

JB is stubborn and has his plan refined and written in stone at this point...doubtful it will lead to a title...but the team can do "well" with it...

So he was too good too soon and that was a problem?
for woody, yes.

he was good enough to help this year. i couldve seen him as a big asset vs teams like houston for instance.

if he is good enough in practice and knows he is as good or better than those on the court...it would be a big problem ofr such a player. I would leave asap if i was in his shoes...and he did.

"the plan" needs to be more flexible.

teams with regimented methods rarely are the very best.

they can usually be pretty good and maintain a decent level...and if the stars align and their plan actually equates to the best plan with what they have and everything clicks that year,,,then they can overacheive...

but, overall, really limits a lot of things a team can be...

the idea that a player like woody was too good for the plan just screams change the plan. somehow a great thing...that a player was more ready than anticipated became a negative bc of the plan.

idk...maybe every team must have a plan and this is just how it is.

JB is stubborn and has his plan refined and written in stone at this point...doubtful it will lead to a title...but the team can do "well" with it...
and when was your induction ceremony into the HOF?

JB is a great coach...but he is not perfect.

the way he managed jess, frank, kadary and woody this year was questionable, imo.

using marek at center for the first half of the season was bogus...and we saw once he stopped doing that for 40 minutes, the team started winning...I, and many others, were callijg for that since last year.

we'll see how woody and kadary do at their new home, i reckon well.

besides, JB has gotten a LOT MORE regimented than he used to be...I remember when he would switch defense up..play box and 1 or man...been watching since the 80s. He has undoubtedly gotten more formulaic than he used to be...which I think is part of the reason that recent season W-L records have been mediocre.

besides, JB has gotten a LOT MORE regimented than he used to be...I remember when he would switch defense up..play box and 1 or man...been watching since the 80s. He has undoubtedly gotten more formulaic than he used to be...which I think is part of the reason that recent season W-L records have been mediocre.
Formulaic = lazy if you ask me.

Formulaic = lazy if you ask me.
me too...and in this era of analytics and internet ...scouting by other teams has gone way up.

If you play a SDSU who has no clue thats one thing...but the ACC has the formula down pat.

Dumb, if true. Unless the guys in front of him are Carmelo Anthony and Hakim Warrick, you can expand that rotation if the guy is good enough to be in the rotation.

Is OSU a “good enough” program for those few guys on here to avoid “celebrating” his “bad” landing spot?

At least we know he still likes the color orange. See ya, Woody.

so wait.. Woody was first forward off the bench to start the year but the coaches didnt have a plan to play him?

he didn’t play vs Bryant and had less mins than Bras vs Niagara. I believe he was first forward off bench in 3 games total looks like

Hes f@&$ing with you fyi

he didn’t play vs Bryant and had less mins than Bras vs Niagara. I believe he was first forward off bench in 3 games total looks like
I’m guessing that was because Braswell was hurt.

Good luck Woody. Okie State has a good program, he will face a lot of good competition there too.

Hope he gets the playing time he craves and has a good career there.

Newton was probably misled about playing time during his recruitment which lead to entering the portal...playing for Boynton is a good move for Woody...you have to walk it like you talk it in todays recruiting world with the portal in play. The days of a coach controlling a kids destiny are over.

I don't know -- I think Woody was just ahead of schedule.

I can't imagine that he felt before the season that he was in line for big PT with Guerrier / Griffin starting ahead of him.

The issue is that once he saw the floor, he played so well that he deserved to be in the mix. Who knows what happened with COVID / recovery, but that he basically was dropped from the rotation after playing so well at the beginning of the season is probably what led to the hard feelings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom