Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St

Look I'm just gonna throw this out there - do we have any actual confirmation that Woody had Covid?
I don’t recall him being in sweats and not his uniform like frank.

Right, but... why Woody?

The dude had an impact on the court. His first four games he averages like 8 points and 4 rebounds, STELLAR production from a bench forward, and then he gets sporadic time and is starved for minutes when he does play?

View attachment 199939

Those are weird game log splits!
Stellar production against a much less than murderer’s row schedule (other than RU). Didn’t he also contract Covid in late December or early January? If so that could have influenced his minutes going forward.

dah, pay wall

Woody Newton, a freshman on the Syracuse University basketball team, has entered his name in the NCAA’s transfer portal, according to VerbalCommits.com.

Newton, a 6-foot-8 forward, appeared in 11 games for the Orange this past season. He played in six of Syracuse’s first seven games, but his playing time shrunk following a bout with the coronavirus over Christmas.

I don't know -- I think Woody was just ahead of schedule.

I can't imagine that he felt before the season that he was in line for big PT with Guerrier / Griffin starting ahead of him.

The issue is that once he saw the floor, he played so well that he deserved to be in the mix. Who knows what happened with COVID / recovery, but that he basically was dropped from the rotation after playing so well at the beginning of the season is probably what led to the hard feelings.
He saw Buddy playing minutes at 3 while Buddy was struggling and thought hey I showed I can play let me show. JB didn’t want to develop a bench.

Instead JB wants to play 7 and expect kids to wait when they can play elsewhere.

Woody Newton, a freshman on the Syracuse University basketball team, has entered his name in the NCAA’s transfer portal, according to VerbalCommits.com.

Newton, a 6-foot-8 forward, appeared in 11 games for the Orange this past season. He played in six of Syracuse’s first seven games, but his playing time shrunk following a bout with the coronavirus over Christmas.
hmm

Seton Hall should have a strong team next year.

I think Kadary thinks he’s one and done, so perhaps he doesn’t care about the program and just wants to run point and play his game close to home on a good squad?
The last sentence (other than the geography) I think sums up his attitude about SU too.

Stellar production against a much less than murderer’s row schedule (other than RU).
He saw Buddy playing minutes at 3 while Buddy was struggling and thought hey I showed I can play let me show. JB didn’t want to develop a bench.
tenor.gif

The last sentence (other than the geography) I think sums up his attitude about SU too.
Perhaps.

And others have made the point that he didn’t get to really experience the typical SU hoop player’s life off the court or the huge crowds and hype around the games.

Most of these ex players always talk about how great of a time they had in those aspects.

Instead JB wants to play 7 and expect kids to wait when they can play elsewhere.
Agreed. And it was infuriating to watch in real time. Buddy should’ve been the 5th option to ever get minutes at small forward this year - after Griff, Woody, Braswell, and Quincy.

Look, I’m not happy with JB and his relationship building and roster management, but your assertion is absurd. Here’s what JB had to say about Kadary to the Athletic the way back in July:
“I think he’s got a big, big upside, even right away,” coach Jim Boeheim said. “He gets to the rim better than anyone we’ve ever had lately.”
In the fall he said, “kadary’s very smart. He plays like a veteran player. He’s much more advanced than most freshman.”
I can’t find the quote online but he also compared him to some of the best attacking and passing guards we’ve had at Syracuse in recent years, including MCW, Tyler Ennis and Jonny Flynn. Talk about hype.

That’s not a coach who is trying to “hide” the talented guard he has on the bench. In fact that sounds he’s trying to hype him up. Look, I don’t like how Boeheim didn’t adjust his coaching and minutes-allotment to the new reality of the upcoming transfer rules. But I also hate this narrative from some posters that Boeheim was always criticizing Richmond. Yes, there was some constructive critiques in some of his post game comments but most of them were full of praise when he played well.
Ok...l hear your point but talk is just that...talk...Kadary would still be here if all that talk translated to the court...he was playing behind a guard less talented and restricted to driving the lane. His game would of never grown here until JG3 left. Coaches always tell recruits to come in ready to play then when they do everybody acts surprised...not playing/developing kids is gonna hurt us down the road...why do think its so hard finding a ready to play center. The game/kids have left Boeheim behind ...Roy William saw it.

Won't have a problem going up to 8 when Jimmy Jr is #8.

There is no point crying over it though Kadary and Woody on next years team with limited minutes wasn't going to work for either side.

The teams been filled out with guys who have all played together and are experienced. It might work.

You can't project Girard into an NBA PG but he could definitely be a lot better as a year 3 starter with all the experience he has if conditioning improves.

Perhaps.

And others have made the point that he didn’t get to really experience the typical SU hoop player’s life off the court or the huge crowds and hype around the games.

Most of these ex players always talk about how great of a time they had in those aspects.

A school with less restrictions and the obvious team dynamic regarding the coaches kids could have made these departures inevitable even if Woody and Kadary played more and Richmond was promised a fair crack to start next year. Heck even if he did start I could see wanting out.

If I was 18 right now I don't consider a college outside of Florida or Texas or the like for one second.

Thought Woody certainly had promise but it's strange to see all this angst about him. Feels a bit like Kadary bleedover. We have 5 stars coming in this year and next already and likely to be more. I get the Kadary frustration (talked to death)but people are acting like Kevin Durant just transferred. Kinda crazy. Woody is certainly capable and he is also replaceable.

Perhaps.

Not perhaps, he said as much in his interview when he went into the portal. His goal is to get to the NBA asap, that’s not a criticism just a fact, and the Syracuse system did not (he felt) let him highlight his game to that end.
Sometimes you just have to give credence to what people actually say.

I think either Kadary settled, or he wasn't sure he could beat out the competition at a better school. Kentucky and Florida State contacted him the day he entered the portal.
But Kentucky got Kellan Grady from Davidson who will be their star PG and Florida State only plays guys like 25mpg. The situation could be worse than he imagined it being at Syracuse (I think JB would have made him the starter if he did what he needed to do in the off-season AND would have let him shoot once he worked on his jumper). Willard probably told him whatever he wanted to hear.

Last edited:
You mentioned pride, "hard" feelings, said Woody bolted and gave JB the finger on his way out?

I mentioned pride as a consequential element to that part of RF's "what probably led to his hard feelings" comment. What is your definition of the word "hard feelings," or in the particular context in which it was displayed? Can a reasonable person not take those alleged "probable hard feelings" and 'pride' to be a related affect/parallel?

Is the word "bolted" offensive to you? He did bolt didn't he? If I had stated he left to pursue greener pastures, would that have been more appealing to your apparent very sensitive ears?

The giving JB the finger on his way out is in a figurative context, not literal. It's interesting that that actually needs explaining. Moreover, it was simply a take on the overall/comprehensive scope of his particular predicament that SUorangeSU relayed earlier. That Woody was better than what JB anticipated and how it didn't fit into JB's "plan." Hence, my questionable management/rigidness comment relative to JB's handling of Woody.

Your "craps all over Woody as a person" interpretation is just that, your own interpretation based upon your own thinking.

Last edited:
I mentioned pride as a consequential element to that part of RF's "what probably led to his hard feelings" comment. What is your definition of the word "hard feelings," or in the particular context in which it was displayed? Can a reasonable person not take those alleged "probable hard feelings" and 'pride' to be a related affect/parallel?

Is the word "bolted" offensive to you? He did bolt didn't he? If I had stated he left to pursue greener pastures, would that have been more appealing to your apparent very sensitive ears?

The giving JB the finger on his way out is in a figurative context, not literal. It's interesting that that actually needs explaining. Moreover, it was simply a take on the overall/comprehensive scope of his particular predicament that SUorangeSU relayed earlier. That Woody was better than what JB anticipated and how it didn't fit into JB's "plan." Hence, my questionable management/rigidness comment relative to JB's handling of Woody.

Your "craps all over Woody as a person" interpretation is just that, your own interpretation based upon your own thinking.
Ok.

Right, but... why Woody?

The dude had an impact on the court. His first four games he averages like 8 points and 4 rebounds, STELLAR production from a bench forward, and then he gets sporadic time and is starved for minutes when he does play?

View attachment 199939

Those are weird game log splits!
I liked him.

No idea what happened after covid. But it seems that Bras won the nod as the emerging forward of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom