Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St

I don't know -- I think Woody was just ahead of schedule.

I can't imagine that he felt before the season that he was in line for big PT with Guerrier / Griffin starting ahead of him.

The issue is that once he saw the floor, he played so well that he deserved to be in the mix. Who knows what happened with COVID / recovery, but that he basically was dropped from the rotation after playing so well at the beginning of the season is probably what led to the hard feelings.
Yeah. I think this makes the most sense.

I don't know -- I think Woody was just ahead of schedule.

I can't imagine that he felt before the season that he was in line for big PT with Guerrier / Griffin starting ahead of him.

The issue is that once he saw the floor, he played so well that he deserved to be in the mix. Who knows what happened with COVID / recovery, but that he basically was dropped from the rotation after playing so well at the beginning of the season is probably what led to the hard feelings.

I think you're spot on. Pride is one of those 7 deadlies. Since this was a "free" year, he didn't lose a wink of eligibility regardless of JB's questionable/peculiar management of him. Those probable "hard" feelings most likely was at the crux of his bolting/obvious middle finger to JB and his rigid ways in my opinion.

I think you're spot on. Pride is one of those 7 deadlies. Since this was a "free" year, he didn't lose a wink of eligibility regardless of the questionable JB management of him. Those probable "hard" feelings most likely was at the crux of his bolting/obvious middle finger to JB and his set ways in my opinion.
Ah, come on. You interpreted a realistic explanation of how things might have played out in a frame that craps all over Woody as a person, with no actual reason to believe he's leaving because of some moral flaw he has.

Ah, come on. You interpreted a realistic explanation of how things might have played out in a frame that craps all over Woody as a person, with no actual reason to believe he's leaving because of some moral flaw he has.

What? Crapping all over Woody? Perhaps, you misinterpreted my post? Either that, or I did a poor arse job in offering my sentiment. Which, was in full agreement with RF's post...hence, the "spot on" remark.

What? Crapping all over Woody? Perhaps, you misinterpreted my post? Either that, or I did a poor arse job in offering my sentiment. Which, was in full agreement with RF's post...hence, the "spot on" remark.
You mentioned pride, "hard" feelings, said Woody bolted and gave JB the finger on his way out?

Newton was probably misled about playing time during his recruitment which lead to entering the portal...playing for Boynton is a good move for Woody...you have to walk it like you talk it in todays recruiting world with the portal in play. The days of a coach controlling a kids destiny are over.
Stopped reading after “probably”

He was more advanced and "ready" then the coaches thought which sounds like a good thing but when you have folks in front of him, it kind of ruins the "plan". He really improved from junior to senior year in HS and that jump shot got sweet. They were hoping he would get limited time the first two years and really blossom junior and senior year.
Yeah the "plan" was to tell everybody that Jesse, Kadary and Woody weren't ready and play them spot minutes ... Edwards wasn't ready until sports announcers covering our games questioned why he was on the bench when we had no center ... covid forced Boehiem to play Woody for all to see and Kadary was only supposed to play 10-12 minutes a game but covid again forced Boehiem's hand and we all got to see what we had. l'm normally disappointed when a player DOESN'T live up to their billing...guess l don't get the ''PLAN'

I think you're spot on. Pride is one of those 7 deadlies. Since this was a "free" year, he didn't lose a wink of eligibility regardless of JB's questionable/peculiar management of him. Those probable "hard" feelings most likely was at the crux of his bolting/obvious middle finger to JB and his rigid ways in my opinion.
So he and Gottlieb will have something in common to discuss at OSU functions.

He was more advanced and "ready" then the coaches thought which sounds like a good thing but when you have folks in front of him, it kind of ruins the "plan". He really improved from junior to senior year in HS and that jump shot got sweet. They were hoping he would get limited time the first two years and really blossom junior and senior year.
Poor Allen Griffin must not be happy that he keeps finding and landing all these underrated guys and diamonds in the rough like Kadary, Woody and Braswell, and then JB either mishandles them or doesn’t play them enough or at least fails to earn their trust that he will develop them and get them where they want to be.

I wonder if Griff is frustrated about hustling his butt off and convincing kids to come here and then the old man goes and blows it up (I know I’m being reductive and that’s not the whole story, but still...) Since this was such a crazy year with Covid, maybe he’s chalking up some of the departures to the difficulties of retaining kids in such a trying and isolating year where it was harder to build stronger ties to the school and the team. Bulldog or anyone else have any insight?

We did. But so did most teams.

Woody and KR will be Syracuse footnotes and can always say they played here, but never in front of 30k+ like all of the players from the last 30 years
I agree. And what might have been different if they had experienced it...

The transfer portal has really made me indifferent to the recruiting process. Guys like Woody and Richmond will never be Syracuse Guys in my opinion. If a SU player leaves as a grad transfer, I would probably feel differently - such as Hackett on the football team. I don’t wish Newton or Richmond ill, but I don’t really care much how they do at their next school.

Yeah the "plan" was to tell everybody that Jesse, Kadary and Woody weren't ready and play them spot minutes ... Edwards wasn't ready until sports announcers covering our games questioned why he was on the bench when we had no center ... covid forced Boehiem to play Woody for all to see and Kadary was only supposed to play 10-12 minutes a game but covid again forced Boehiem's hand and we all got to see what we had. l'm normally disappointed when a player DOESN'T live up to their billing...guess l don't get the ''PLAN'
Look, I’m not happy with JB and his relationship building and roster management, but your assertion is absurd. Here’s what JB had to say about Kadary to the Athletic the way back in July:
“I think he’s got a big, big upside, even right away,” coach Jim Boeheim said. “He gets to the rim better than anyone we’ve ever had lately.”
In the fall he said, “kadary’s very smart. He plays like a veteran player. He’s much more advanced than most freshman.”
I can’t find the quote online but he also compared him to some of the best attacking and passing guards we’ve had at Syracuse in recent years, including MCW, Tyler Ennis and Jonny Flynn. Talk about hype.

That’s not a coach who is trying to “hide” the talented guard he has on the bench. In fact that sounds he’s trying to hype him up. Look, I don’t like how Boeheim didn’t adjust his coaching and minutes-allotment to the new reality of the upcoming transfer rules. But I also hate this narrative from some posters that Boeheim was always criticizing Richmond. Yes, there was some constructive critiques in some of his post game comments but most of them were full of praise when he played well.

Look, I’m not happy with JB and his relationship building and roster management, but your assertion is absurd. Here’s what JB had to say about Kadary to the Athletic the way back in July:
“I think he’s got a big, big upside, even right away,” coach Jim Boeheim said. “He gets to the rim better than anyone we’ve ever had lately.”
In the fall he said, “kadary’s very smart. He plays like a veteran player. He’s much more advanced than most freshman.”
I can’t find the quote online but he also compared him to some of the best attacking and passing guards we’ve had at Syracuse in recent years, including MCW, Tyler Ennis and Jonny Flynn. Talk about hype.

That’s not a coach who is trying to “hide” the talented guard he has on the bench. In fact that sounds he’s trying to hype him up. Look, I don’t like how Boeheim didn’t adjust his coaching and minutes-allotment to the new reality of the upcoming transfer rules. But I also hate this narrative from some posters that Boeheim was always criticizing Richmond. Yes, there was some constructive critiques in some of his post game comments but most of them were full of praise when he played well.
Boeheim said Kadary was one of the best point guards in college basketball in the pre-season.

Makes things weirder, in hindsight.

Boeheim said Kadary was one of the best point guards in college basketball in the pre-season.

Makes things weirder, in hindsight.

The guy is going from playing with two guards to playing with four. So who knows.

As far as Newton goes I thought he was the prototypical Syracuse forward that would really develop over a couple of years while playing behind more established guys. Somewhere early on JB told Woody this is his free year (from some presser). But, those days are no longer.

End of the day, one ball, five guys, 40 minutes. Cannot make em all happy.

The guy is going from playing with two guards to playing with four. So who knows.

As far as Newton goes I thought he was the prototypical Syracuse forward that would really develop over a couple of years while playing behind more established guys. Somewhere early on JB told Woody this is his free year (from some presser). But, those days are no longer.

End of the day, one ball, five guys, 40 minutes. Cannot make em all happy.
Right, but... why Woody?

The dude had an impact on the court. His first four games he averages like 8 points and 4 rebounds, STELLAR production from a bench forward, and then he gets sporadic time and is starved for minutes when he does play?

1618609662126.png

Those are weird game log splits!

Woody ended up on a better team than Kadary

I think either Kadary settled, or he wasn't sure he could beat out the competition at a better school. Kentucky and Florida State contacted him the day he entered the portal.

I think either Kadary settled, or he wasn't sure he could beat out the competition at a better school. Kentucky and Florida State contacted him the day he entered the portal.
Seton Hall should have a strong team next year.

I think Kadary thinks he’s one and done, so perhaps he doesn’t care about the program and just wants to run point and play his game close to home on a good squad?

Right, but... why Woody?

The dude had an impact on the court. His first four games he averages like 8 points and 4 rebounds, STELLAR production from a bench forward, and then he gets sporadic time and is starved for minutes when he does play?

View attachment 199939

where did covid hit?

Right, but... why Woody?

View attachment 199939

His minutes dropped after the 2nd Covid shutdown.

I guess we'll never know how bad he was sick and how long it took him to recover. Everyone's different.

Frank wasn't able to resume practice until February.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom