Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St

Problem is that those players you listed waited their turns. They played sparingly (to various degrees) in their early years, growing into full time starters and key cogs on some great teams. It appears that career track is no longer going to be normal in college basketball. Doesn't matter who the coach is, if a kid doesn't start and/or play big minutes right away, they will transfer. At least it appears that way.

CJ Fair played less minutes per game and started fewer games a freshman than Kadary did, for example.

I'm not sure how a coaching staff is supposed to deal with this new environment, but it will not be easy. We will live to see the CJ Fairs of the world learn a little bit with us and then blossom into stars for other teams. By the same token, their CJ Fairs will blossom on our roster instead of where they started, I suppose.
I have no inside info, but I think Woody was done dirty.

To my eyes, he was better than expected before JB was ready for him to be a part of a rotation. He showed that he would make things happen when given minutes. That was unexpected. JB wasn't prepared for Woody to be prepared.

My reaction to Carey, Goodine, and Washington leaving last offseason was a complete 180 from this. Couldn’t have cared less.

These two can play.
Especially since we knew Kadary was coming in. I wanted Goodine for depth and thought he could develop after another year or two. But you could tell Kadary was better than him already and would probably pass Joe as the starter. Ugh.

Problem is that those players you listed waited their turns. They played sparingly (to various degrees) in their early years, growing into full time starters and key cogs on some great teams. It appears that career track is no longer going to be normal in college basketball. Doesn't matter who the coach is, if a kid doesn't start and/or play big minutes right away, they will transfer. At least it appears that way.

CJ Fair played less minutes per game and started fewer games as a freshman than Kadary did, for example.

I'm not sure how a coaching staff is supposed to deal with this new environment, but it will not be easy. We will live to see the CJ Fairs of the world learn a little bit with us and then blossom into stars for other teams. By the same token, their CJ Fairs will blossom on our roster instead of where they started, I suppose.
You know how the coaching staff (I.e. JB) should deal with the new environment? Adjust how you construct your rosters and adjust your coaching and build relationships and trust with these kids.

It wasn’t just a party. It was a party in the middle of a pandemic and at least 50 people weren’t wearing masks. This jeopardized the health of everyone on campus, as well as the season. Why is this so difficult for some of you to grasp?
It's not difficult to grasp. It's stupid. Foolish. Whatever you want to call it. If it was sooooooo egregious and as bad as you state it is (which it is stupid), why didn't your hero kick them out of the program?

Don't know.

Maybe it's like when you are about to switch jobs - you never officially resign until you have a signed offer letter for the new gig. Maybe he has a few offers on the table now that he didn't last week.

Pure speculation. Maybe he was still talking it over with his family. Dunno.
I'm speculating he was waiting until he saw for sure that Kadary was gone.

To my eyes, he was better than expected before JB was ready for him to be a part of a rotation. He showed that he would make things happen when given minutes. That was unexpected. JB wasn't prepared for Woody to be prepared.
JB used to love when that would happen. He moved Moten into the starting lineup like the second or third game of his freshman season.

You know how the coaching staff (I.e. JB) should deal with the new environment? Adjust how you construct your rosters and adjust your coaching and build relationships and trust with these kids.

Do you think it was possible to ever run a college basketball program without doing those things?

JB used to love when that would happen. He moved Moten into the starting lineup like the second or third game of his freshman season.
JB hasn't yet fully adjusted to the new realities of college basketball:
1. that freshman with game won't accept sitting behind upper classmen and waiting "their turn."
2. Bringing in developmental players no longer works because kids don't stay 3-4 years to develop. Even guys who aren't developed leave after 2 years. If they have a good game in the NCAAT they leave after 1 year despite many holes in their game. If they don't play year 1, they will transfer out with the end of transfer restrictions. Need to bring in guys who can contribute something immediately.

I agree. These kids aren't stupid. They know what's going on. Kadary and Woody both deserved to be playing more minutes or, in Kadary's case, starting. It was very evident if you aren't one of Jim's chosen few, you aren't getting minutes.

Does Manny’s sell orange spray painted tin foil hats these days?

If they do, you guys let me know, my treat!

Meh, figured this for awhile. Was clearly being recruited over. Didn’t really have a spot with Cole and Jimmy JR coming in.

8 man rotation is set

It’s not about mean, it’s about lazy and poor recruiting and roster management that leaves us with a bunch of slow kids who can’t dribble or break a press when they’re guarded.

Maybe we can have another winning record and get an 11 seed though! Yippee!
I agree completely. We play Baylor and they beat us by 25 7 out of ten times. Hate to say it but it’s true.

We might as well be playing a different sport than Baylor and have zero chance to win a championship.

BAYLOR!!

Glad you’re ok with it.
You don’t care about competing for a NC.
It’s fine.

If you don’t have the expectations of being an elite team your attitude is fine.
I’ll give you that.

Weak arguments rely on this kind of stuff. You guys can do better.

The question isn't "are Syracuse fans ok with sweet 16s" it's "can JB still get us to a FF?" If the answer is even close to being yes (which, I don't know we were closer than 300 other teams, so probably?) than you roll with the guy with his track record. You just do.

But slinging "you don't care about winning championships" is a weird thing to say when the argument isn't close to conclusive.

CJ Fair played less minutes per game and started fewer games as a freshman than Kadary did, for example.

That development curve is our wheelhouse and in this brave new world that wheel is broke.

You do realize they are about to lose an entire recruiting class, right?
That matters a whole lot less now than it did 2-3 years ago. College bb has changed exponentially.

JB hasn't yet fully adjusted to the new realities of college basketball:
1. that freshman with game won't accept sitting behind upper classmen and waiting "their turn."
2. Bringing in developmental players no longer works because kids don't stay 3-4 years to develop. Even guys who aren't developed leave after 2 years. If they have a good game in the NCAAT they leave after 1 year despite many holes in their game. If they don't play year 1, they will transfer out with the end of transfer restrictions. Need to bring in guys who can contribute something immediately.
*Who* has adjusted well to this reality?

Virginia seems to be consistently good with non-1-and-dones and a hard to play against system on D, while Kentucky and Duke have has uneven results despite getting near any kid they want.

So maybe like a mix. Say not-quite ready to leave guys, some transfers, and a stud freshman? Hmmmmmm

And I think we all agree. Yet Joe continued to start. Why?
Because who starts the game is about as meaningful as a fart in the wind.

That is, of course, if one has the ability to see the bigger picture.

That matters a whole lot less now than it did 2-3 years ago. College bb has changed exponentially.
You think having to bring in an almost entirely new roster next year is no big deal? You think losing upwards of 8 guys with experience in your system is easy to replace with 8 guys with no experience in your system is no biggie? This program would be way better off with Kadary, Woody, AG, Frank etc all with a year under their belt. If you want to tell me Cuse is replacing them all with 5 star, high impact players that's a different story. But that isn't happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom