Word leaking out that Doug is staying... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Word leaking out that Doug is staying...

I agree...his assistant coaches are surely fielding lots of calls from concerned parents and recruits.
very disconcerting

this class has some good prospects - but not depth.
would really hurt to lose a few because of this.

Ebo was an anticipated loss
Smith is a loss that would definitely hurt, but one I could live with if DM returns
Losing Zach Allen? Well......lets just say that stuff would start gettin real, really quick.

I think if we get to the point of potentially losing Zach, that's when the "powers that be" need to buck up and make a decision on Doug. Replace Doug with one of the coordinators...on the quick.

Losing Zach would be the Mendoza line for Marrone. Point of no return.

Smith is a loss that would definitely hurt, but one I could live with if DM returns
Losing Zach Allen? Well......lets just say that stuff would start gettin real, really quick.
I dont think we can lose ZA. He signed his LOI, but he already reached out to fellow commit Malik Allen who tweeted that Tennesse is coming to visit him. Now we have Laray Smith delaying his decision. Keon Lyn may be going pro and who knows What else is going on that we dont know.

I didn't say he isn't good enough for Syracuse. He clearly is. I think he's done a very good job. He's not good enough to sit idly by while he has his agents announce to the world that he's available for anyone that's interested in interviewing him.

You're probably right about available candidates. I said the course of action was legitimate, not something that should definitely be done. It depends on the circumstances of the situation.

Let's say we are right back here next year with Marrone pimping himself to anyone and everyone (including other colleges... Like Wisconsin this year), and gross has worked his contingency... Are you saying that NO MATTER the circumstances the school should just wait out Marrone's job search?

Yes. Do you want to be like Boston College and flush the program down the toilet once it is finally heading in the right direction because the Head Coach hurt your feelings by having the audacity to interview for on the the 30 jobs at the pinnacle of his profession? Like I said look at how it worked out for BC.

I'm not sure how official that signing day was for Zach.There was a bit of doubt as to whether he actually signed. Either way, the point is moot. He could redshirt the spring and transfer for the fall anyways...

The University should give Marrone through the weekend. That is a fair amount of time for him to get his affairs in order. If he isn't committed after this weekend, the University should start a public search for a replacement.

Yes. Do you want to be like Boston College and flush the program down the toilet once it is finally heading in the right direction because the Head Coach hurt your feelings by having the audacity to interview for on the the 30 jobs at the pinnacle of his profession? Like I said look at how it worked out for BC.
Colin Cowerd went in on this subject with Bill O'Brien. He thinks PSU should get rid of him because he will always be a hinderance to recruiting and will inevitably leave them and probably soon. Im NOT advocating we do this, just saying there are alot of people who think once your coach gets the itch you need to scratch them.

I'm not sure how official that signing day was for Zach.There was a bit of doubt as to whether he actually signed. Either way, the point is moot. He could redshirt the spring and transfer for the fall anyways...

The University should give Marrone through the weekend. That is a fair amount of time for him to get his affairs in order. If he isn't committed after this weekend, the University should start a public search for a replacement.
If something sketchy were to go down and we somehow lost Zach Allen due to this...this board would riot. Literally cyber police and internet SWAT would have to descend upon Syracusefan.com to keep the peace.

I think our best move is to do nothing as far as moving on. Do our best to keep Doug happy and if this becomes a regular occurrence let the new administration figure out a succession plan.
Maybe by then Chip will have laid a turd in Cleveland and we can pursue him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I don't think sitting on your hands waiting for Marrone is an option right now. He started this process on Monday. The university will have given him a week (with little public fanfare) to interview and sort out his business.

This is more than fair. If by Monday he's uncommitted to the university, they have to start moving in a different direction. Time is of the essence. They can't risk losing any more of this recruiting class.

If he enrolls at SU next week and decides to transfer out ... he has to sit out the 2012 season at his new school. Which defeats the whole purpose of enrolling early so he can compete for the starting job in 2012.

If anything, he could delay his enrollment until the Fall, which would give him until April to change his mind (signing period runs from Feb 6 to April 1). He won't come here for a few months and leave.

Colin Cowerd went in on this subject with Bill O'Brien. He thinks PSU should get rid of him because he will always be a hinderance to recruiting and will inevitably leave them and probably soon. Im NOT advocating we do this, just saying there are alot of people who think once your coach gets the itch you need to scratch them.

Colin Cowerd doesn't know .

I think if we get to the point of potentially losing Zach, that's when the "powers that be" need to buck up and make a decision on Doug. Replace Doug with one of the coordinators...on the quick.

Losing Zach would be the Mendoza line for Marrone. Point of no return.
He has all ready signed LOI will be here this month

There is absolutely no need for that kind of rush. It's much more important to get this right than to do it quick.

There is absolutely no need for that kind of rush. It's much more important to get this right than to do it quick.

There is a need to do it quickly because
1) the available pool of candidates is drying up quickly and
2) the new coach needs as much time as possible to attempt and save this recruiting class. (Dead period ended Jan 3rd)

Time is absolutely of the essence on finding a replacement (if needed)

If something sketchy were to go down and we somehow lost Zach Allen due to this...this board would riot. Literally cyber police and internet SWAT would have to descend upon Syracusefan.com to keep the peace.

kim-jong-il.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't think sitting on your hands waiting for Marrone is an option right now. He started this process on Monday. The university will have given him a week (with little public fanfare) to interview and sort out his business.

This is more than fair. If by Monday he's uncommitted to the university, they have to start moving in a different direction. Time is of the essence. They can't risk losing any more of this recruiting class.

So again, we are suggesting firing Marrone. It's been all of a week, NFL coaching searches can take weeks to play out, and you want to fire our guy (for whom we have no viable replacement) over a week.

You are worried about recruiting? Well a heck of a lot more recruits will turn tail if Marrone is fired than if there is nervousness that he is leaving. Until he leaves, they won't go, once he is officially gone, then they will leave in droves. Stay the course and let's see what happens. I'm still betting on Marrone not getting a job, and coming back for at least one more year

I'm just waiting to see if he shows up at the AFCA Convention tomorrow in Nashville and makes a statement.

He wants an NFL gig. Say he doesnt get one this year and comes back. Will he have the fire in his belly to do the job, or will he half-ass it while waiting for something to open up? If you don't want to be somewhere, how can you give it your all? And, recruits know you want out, why should they commit to someone with one foot out the door?

one more year aint worth it -

if he looks like a short term guy no recruits will touch him-

find a guy who wants to be here-

the long drag out isnt very good , kids are getting a earful from other schools that even the biggest bologna marroney fans can agree-

when you interview at every open job its a sure sign you dont want the one you have- if he interviewed at 1-2 nfl teams is one thing-to go to every opening shows you have no respect for the position you have now -

This is all second hand but from a good friend who as always been very honest. My friend is close to one of the current players mother. According to her the players are all very nervous that Marrone is going to leave. She feels the reasons are things that have been promised to Marrone have not been delivered and he is very frustrated. All of this is not news, I know. The most important thing that she said is that her son and the other players will welcome Marrone back with open arms. She believes the players are saddened by the NFL discussions but REALLY like Marrone and the current staff and think they have a great chance to compete for a BCS bowl NEXT year if everyone comes back.

So again, we are suggesting firing Marrone. It's been all of a week, NFL coaching searches can take weeks to play out, and you want to fire our guy (for whom we have no viable replacement) over a week.

You are worried about recruiting? Well a heck of a lot more recruits will turn tail if Marrone is fired than if there is nervousness that he is leaving. Until he leaves, they won't go, once he is officially gone, then they will leave in droves. Stay the course and let's see what happens. I'm still betting on Marrone not getting a job, and coming back for at least one more year

No, I am not suggesting we fire Marrone. I hope Doug stays. I hope he chooses to spend a fairly healthy portion of his career here in Orange. I hope his kids go to school here. I hope his family is comfortable here and he doesn't want to leave. However, my concern for Syracuse University is paramount over Doug Marrone.

We will soon reach the "stuff or get off the pot" moment with Doug. The school is being very fair in their treatment of DM. They are giving him space to do his work. He's done his interviews and should have a very accurate idea of where he stands with each team.

If IF IF we need to hire a new coach, that coach will need as much time as possible to evaluate his staff and catch up on recruiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom