World Cup Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

World Cup Thread

Is Spain trying to set a record for most passes in a soccer match?

Too much passing, bunched up too much, too much trying to show off their foot skills. Very little attacking.

So Croatia vs. England/Sweden Semifinal most likely.

We are going to get an interesting final IMO.
Best teams left are France and Belgium.

Is hate Russia and even I think that was a PK. Spain needed more urgency, a little too methodical. Pains me to say it, Russia has delivered the big win that USMNT still hasn’t imo.

Is hate Russia and even I think that was a PK. Spain needed more urgency, a little too methodical. Pains me to say it, Russia has delivered the big win that USMNT still hasn’t imo.
Our win over Spain at the 2009 Confederations Cup which prevented Spain’s win streak record was a better win.
This was a round of 16 PK win on a team with turmoil and lost its coach before the tournament.

Our win over Spain at the 2009 Confederations Cup which prevented Spain’s win streak record was a better win.
This was a round of 16 PK win on a team with turmoil and lost its coach before the tournament.

Bigger stage today. Host of World Cup wins as big underdog over WC favorite.

Spain = Puke. Congrats on a record number of backwards and sideways passes. Much deserved result for the host nation.

Croatia vs France/Brazil is my guess. Croatia has looked fantastic. Grit, quality in midfield, hearty defenders.

Bigger stage today. Host of World Cup wins as big underdog over WC favorite.
Anyone watching knows Spain wasn’t in form and in disarray.
They fired their coach the day before the tournament started because he took the Real Madrid job.

They weren’t in form. That performance by Russia was pathetic they didn’t put any pressure on Spain and got lucky in a PK.
It wasn’t a great performance.

They fired their coach the day before the tournament started because he took the Real Madrid job.

They weren’t in form. That performance by Russia was pathetic they didn’t put any pressure on Spain and got lucky in a PK.

I can't argue with any of that but it was on a much bigger stage. It wasn't like Russia was a moderate underdog today either. They were +550. Spain (whether in bad form or not) was the co-favorite to win the WC at 4-1.

Too much passing, bunched up too much, too much trying to show off their foot skills. Very little attacking.
Played right into Russia's hands they were hoping to force Spain into a mistake and if not win it in penalty kicks.

Casuals don’t know that. Only the hardcore even know what Confederations Cup is.

Every time USA has had a big game in the spotlight, with big casual viewership they have laid an egg. Russia is delivering on the big stage.

Casuals don’t know that. Only the hardcore even know what Confederations Cup is.

Every time USA has had a big game in the spotlight, with big casual viewership they have laid an egg. Russia is delivering on the big stage.
I know what it is wouldn't watch it if it was played in my backyard its about the world cup.

Great day of soccer except the outcome of the first game.

How was that not a red card at the end of the Croatia-Denmark game when they got a Pk?
Yeah, that had to be red.

Great day of soccer except the outcome of the first game.

How was that not a red card at the end of the Croatia-Denmark game when they got a Pk?

Conflicted feelings about the first game, but in the end glad Russia won. Brings an element of surprise and Spain didn’t earn the win. Their endless pointless backwards and sideways passing killed the 1st half. Almost fell asleep. At least the Russian penalty (well called imo) made the second half interesting. But their defense was solid and Akinfeev was spectacular. Much as i dislike the politics of it all (no way they should’ve been awarded the Cup after Sochi and the subsequent invasion of Ukraine) the team has done very well. At this point it’s all about the game anyway.

And that was definitely a red card - very surprising it wasn’t called. But that was kind of meaningless. Luka should’ve put it away - glad he at least nailed his in the shootout. They should take care of Russia, but their style will give Croatia problems. Should be interesting.

Was rooting for Messi and Argentina, but that was a very entertaining game! Not a fan of Suarez but at least Ronaldo is gone ;) Neimar - next!

Think you’re being too harsh. Yes, Spain wasn’t ‘in form’ but it had something to do with Russian D and goalie. And the early lucky own goal, which sucked the life out of the match afterwards. The Russians were not pathetic because they didn’t pressure, but rather patient and smart. Instead of chasing short passes and exhausting themselves they waited for chances on counters. And PK’s were their only hope. So they got there and won. Yeah, maybe lucky, but it was experienced Spain that couldn’t convert them. IMO it was Spain who was pathetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom