Class of 2019 - WR Jaelyn Lay (GA) Verbal to Clemson | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 WR Jaelyn Lay (GA) Verbal to Clemson

Jaelyn Lay poised to be next great wide receiver for Riverdale High (news-daily.com; Strickland)

Riverdale High School has a proud lineage of talented wide receivers. In 2013, Rashad Canty signed to continue his career at Vanderbilt. Last season, Greg White caught 10 touchdowns and eclipsed 1,000 yards en route to a college scholarship with North Texas.

The latest Riverdale wide receiver to garner attention from Division I programs is Jaelyn Lay. This summer, the rising junior has received offers from Syracuse, Oregon State, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Western Kentucky, among others.

“It feels great,” Lay said when asked how it felt to be the latest Riverdale wideout to receive recruiting love. “I still keep in touch with Rashad and Greg. I’m still learning from them how to handle situations and other stuff.”

At 6-foot-5, 210 pounds, Lay looks the part of a dominant wide receiver. Yet, Riverdale head coach Terry Herrod said that both the football and basketball coaching staffs have had to patient with Lay, allowing him the necessary time to grow into his body.

“When he came in, he was a man-child and we lost sight of the fact that he was 14,” Herrod said. “We really wanted him to take over and dominate on the football field and on the basketball court earlier than he was supposed to. Last year was his first year playing varsity sports and he went through those moments where he dominated and those moments where he looked like a sophomore.”

Herrod said he’s noticed a difference in Lay during the offseason — a higher confidence that is allowing his natural athletic gifts to shine through.

“This summer, the light switch has really gone off,” Herrod said. “He’s been a leader. We’re really excited about the next two years and what he’s going to be able to accomplish on the football field and on the basketball court.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom