WVU deal to exit BE | Syracusefan.com

WVU deal to exit BE

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Supposedly $24M.

They wanted out, they got out. Good for them.

not that bad -- does SU get share of TCU / WVU buyout? Then use that money towards paying their own buyout?

If that is the case that would knock off $6 million ... so $18m is not bad considering they would be getting about $13m from ACC

IMO, we should be allowed to leave or sue the BE because the BE went against the supposed BE contract and allowed WVU to leave at all. Marinara put himself in the position to be sued by stating both publicly and in BE meetings that ALL teams had to remain the 27 months. SU needs to now sue the out of the BE for failure to live up to the contract. There are NO provisions for early buyouts.

Does SU even have a spare $24 mil laying around?
pretty sure they do. Just they might not want to spend it or have it scheduled in their "budget"

Plus what is the rush to get to the ACC? It's not like SU football is so scary that going there ASAP improves things. Another year in the minor leagues of the BE (especially a BE minus WV) might not be a bad thing for SU

not that bad -- does SU get share of TCU / WVU buyout? Then use that money towards paying their own buyout?
No. Jurrie posted the exact bylaw earlier today. Once we announced our exit, we get nothing from anyone's buyout.

No rush for SU to go to ACC yet IMO. I don't think we can compete with VT, Mia, GT, Clem, UVA type of talent week in week out just yet. IF WVU is gone, we may actually have a shot to go to the BCS in watered down Big East. I think we need one or two more year of weaker competition to build our football team.

pretty sure they do. Just they might not want to spend it or have it scheduled in their "budget"

Plus what is the rush to get to the ACC? It's not like SU football is so scary that going there ASAP improves things. Another year in the minor leagues of the BE (especially a BE minus WV) might not be a bad thing for SU
IIRC we were 1-0 against the ACC and 0-6 against the returning Big East teams this year.

You going to write the check?

If I win the lottery, I'll pay the 24 million exit. I don't play the lottery though. Maybe I'll start so we can get out of this ridiculous conference though.

Supposedly $24M.

That is the way it was always going to happen. WVU was not going to simply leave. The school was going to buy its way out.

Frighteningly predicable.

SU and Pitt could do the same thing tomorrow if they were so inclined - and had the money.

Getting to ACC more quickly would further enhance recruiting and most likely home attendance as new and interesting teams like Florida State, Ga. Tech, Clemson and and some old rivals like Va Tech and Maryland invade the Dome.

I would pay a bit to make it happen more quickly.

$24 million probably breaks the SU bank.

IMO, we should be allowed to leave or sue the BE because the BE went against the supposed BE contract and allowed WVU to leave at all. Marinara put himself in the position to be sued by stating both publicly and in BE meetings that ALL teams had to remain the 27 months. SU needs to now sue the out of the BE for failure to live up to the contract. There are NO provisions for early buyouts.

That is not a tenable argument.

There was no breech of contract.

There was a settlement.

A lawsuit was settled.

Even in the absence of a lawsuit, the parties could have reached a financial settlement to waive the BE contract.

SU can do the same thing if it is so inclined.

Reactions: 007
That is not a tenable argument.

There was no breech of contract.

There was a settlement.

A lawsuit was settled.

Even in the absence of a lawsuit, the parties could have reached a financial settlement to waive the BE contract.

SU can do the same thing if it is so inclined.

So Marinara lied then because he stated those exact things. He isn't looking out for the best of the BE and lied to its' members. For that he should be sued to get out of this hell hole. I hope the BE dies on the vine.

No rush for SU to go to ACC yet IMO. I don't think we can compete with VT, Mia, GT, Clem, UVA type of talent week in week out just yet. IF WVU is gone, we may actually have a shot to go to the BCS in watered down Big East. I think we need one or two more year of weaker competition to build our football team.
I'm a firm believer of this theory. I don't mind watching another year of Big East competition.

So Marinara lied then because he stated those exact things. He isn't looking out for the best of the BE and lied to its' members. For that he should be sued to get out of this hell hole. I hope the BE dies on the vine.

Bees - Please.

Most commercial disputes are settled by monetary payment. It's bad business going to trial. See the NFL and Al Davis.

The mere fact that one party insists, at the outset, that it will require full compliance with a contract by the second party is the appropriate way to approach an apparent breech.

And, there is nothing wrong, illegal or tortious with eventually settling the dispute rather than going to full scale war in court.

The BE Commissioner did not lie at all. He insisted upon compliance and by doing so was able to avoid a trial and to recover a substantial payment to the benefit of the conference - from a team that didn't want to remain a partner.

He has done a very good job.

And your hope that our former partners essentially die, is bad karma in my opinion.

Bees - Please.

Most commercial disputes are settled by monetary payment. It's bad business going to trial. See the NFL and Al Davis.

The mere fact that one party insists, at the outset, that it will require full compliance with a contract by the second party is the appropriate way to approach an apparent breech.

And, there is nothing wrong, illegal or tortious with eventually settling the dispute rather than going to full scale war in court.

The BE Commissioner did not lie at all. He insisted upon compliance and by doing so was able to avoid a trial and to recover a substantial payment to the benefit of the conference - from a team that didn't want to remain a partner.

He has done a very good job.

And your hope that our former partners essentially die, is bad karma in my opinion.

So the league is run by one man? SU and Pitt should do what WVu was going to do. Just don't show up. Marinara has bastardized a league that was already garbage. The league will be dead in another year so no worry about the karma. If he has done such a good job, why have so many jumped ship and eve more wanting to? I think you meant to say he has done a good job for Providence and the basketball schools.

One thing he did well was pull in $24 million + whatever else from TCU for everyone in the Big East not called Syracuse or Pittsburgh to share. It will be interesting to see if the Big 12 takes Louisville and Cinci (as rumored) in the next few months and they leave too. Will they be forced to give back their share?

One thing he did well was pull in $24 million + whatever else from TCU for everyone in the Big East not called Syracuse or Pittsburgh to share. It will be interesting to see if the Big 12 takes Louisville and Cinci (as rumored) in the next few months and they leave too. Will they be forced to give back their share?

The new rumor is that the B12 is now looking at ACC teams instead of BE teams. Clemson and FSU in particular.

At least we won't have go to West Virginia next year. They should be loaded. Now we have to find another game. I wonder how this might effect the season ticket price? SU could add another home game. Maybe one of the new football teams will play at SU. The Big East really NEEDS SU and PITT next year. We might actually have some leverage right now. I do not want SU to fork up 24 million to leave. If we have that kind of cash around, then we should already have a practice facility built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom