WWE Thread | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

WWE Thread

For once, WWE has it right...although there's still plenty of time for them to screw it up. Becky is still booked to win at WM. Charlotte is now the super heel in the eyes of the fans. I think, though don't know, that Becky will pin Charlotte at WM, and will then do a one-on-one against Ronda at the next major event, which would then be the blow-off before Ronda goes off to raise her family. The pop for Becky winning at WM will be one of the biggest in WWE history. That's the plan. The more people hate Charlotte, the bigger the pop. Simple, basic, and effective booking.
It’s terrible long term booking.
Charlotte being shoe horned into the match doesn’t get her the right type of heat.
It gets the heat that makes fans hate and get frustrated at the product like they are now.
Charlotte could be a good heel like the new Daniel Bryan has gotten. Instead this authority garbage giving her the spot ruins the product. The creative team has failed her.
With Charlotte involved honestly the match shouldn’t go last at WM. The fans support towards Becky is going to take a hit as this storyline is just garbage even if she is going to win and it shows how awful Rousey is on the mic,
This storyline also exposes truly how awful Brock Lesnar is and the fact the “flagship” show doesn’t even have.a champion and the storylines for the top men are truly utterly pathetic. This is suppose to be the season they actually try and they single handily helping keep USPS business flowing how bad they are mailing in these shows.

You're right about the men's belts. They don't mean anything any more, and certainly don't draw money. Lesnar played Vince again b/c Vince didn't want to lose him to UFC. So did the Revival, who are now tag team champs just weeks after asking for their release. Just say you want to leave and Vince becomes an ATM spewing big bucks, now that he has even more big bucks to spew.

I, too, hate the whole McMahon authority figure angle, but it's been going on since Austin/Mr. McMahon, an angle they've never been able to replicate. In this case, though, the gimmick was a means to an end. Sure, they can overplay their hand. But I think the pop for Becky winning will send the fans home happy, and should go on last. Plus, they've got Asuka, who beat Becky clean, waiting in the wings. So, I respectfully disagree, but, if anyone can kill a sure thing, it's the current WWE.

You're right about the men's belts. They don't mean anything any more, and certainly don't draw money. Lesnar played Vince again b/c Vince didn't want to lose him to UFC. So did the Revival, who are now tag team champs just weeks after asking for their release. Just say you want to leave and Vince becomes an ATM spewing big bucks, now that he has even more big bucks to spew.

I, too, hate the whole McMahon authority figure angle, but it's been going on since Austin/Mr. McMahon, an angle they've never been able to replicate. In this case, though, the gimmick was a means to an end. Sure, they can overplay their hand. But I think the pop for Becky winning will send the fans home happy, and should go on last. Plus, they've got Asuka, who beat Becky clean, waiting in the wings. So, I respectfully disagree, but, if anyone can kill a sure thing, it's the current WWE.

WWE basically spent 6 months getting back to where they were in August(?)...Becky the incredibly over face and Charlotte the heel, chasing Ronda. That happened organically for the most part.

Instead WWE had to put their prints on it and they turned Becky heel and Charlotte face...only for the fans to reject it. Now they’re basically back where they started...and now they’re interfering again by getting Stephanie in it.

Morales became WWWF Champion b/c Bruno Sammartino wanted out of his killer schedule. Bruno dropped the belt to Ivan Koloff, who then dropped the belt to Morales. During Morales' nearly two-year reign as champ, he sold out the Garden at a higher percentage than Bruno had.

However, he was not nearly as 'over' in other WWWF cities, and ticket sales were the lifeblood of the industry. So McMahon paid a huge premium to get Bruno back. The transitional champion was Stan Stasiak, a journeyman who was touted as the 'Master Of The Heart Punch'. I think he held the title for three days after beating Morales.

In fact, Dave Meltzer told a story this morning about the TV tapings following Stasiak's win. Because they taped several weeks of TV at a time, the first hour of tapings featured Stasiak with the belt, and the second hour featured him without the belt b/c he was due to drop it to Bruno.

I said it before, but the Becky thing is simple to me. The people want to see her fight Ronda. The faceoff the night after Rumble was electric. Book that match! the one people want to see!

Watching backlash 2002 right now. Just your normal attitude era ppv, not a huge “name ppv”, but some legit matches.

Currently watching taker vs Austin with flair as the referee. And it’s in the middle of the show. Incredible ring psychology. Absolute legends in this ring. And the crowd. Just crazy stuff!! Highly suggest people get the network.

Watching backlash 2002 right now. Just your normal attitude era ppv, not a huge “name ppv”, but some legit matches.

Currently watching taker vs Austin with flair as the referee. And it’s in the middle of the show. Incredible ring psychology. Absolute legends in this ring. And the crowd. Just crazy stuff!! Highly suggest people get the network.

2002 maybe the most loaded roster they ever had from a star power perspective? They eventually brought in most of the big WCW guys. Still had most of their attitude era guys. Might be it

2002 maybe the most loaded roster they ever had from a star power perspective? They eventually brought in most of the big WCW guys. Still had most of their attitude era guys. Might be it
Hard to argue. Lesnar was there too. And some ecw guys.

Is it an app?

What is the $/month?

I’m an 80’s/90’s mark. Something like this seems right up my alley.

$10 a month. It’s basically like Netflix for wrestling. Pretty much everything WWF, WCW, ECW is on there.

WWE Network
008A51EC-CC7D-4C40-826C-34A464189DCF.gif

What a promo by Jericho...

Most underrated wrestler of all time.

Taking into account his peak, in ring skill, longevity, ability to adapt different gimmicks.

Unbelievable heel. Could argue one of the best ever. And the more I watch these attitude era ppvs the more I stand by it.

Most underrated wrestler of all time.

Taking into account his peak, in ring skill, longevity, ability to adapt different gimmicks.

Unbelievable heel. Could argue one of the best ever. And the more I watch these attitude era ppvs the more I stand by it.

Agreed. He’s the total package. I feel like the ONLY downside to his career, and it’s not his fault at all, is that they never pulled the trigger on giving him a baby face title run.

While his heel runs have been his bread and butter, he has also had a couple great face runs...but they never booked him to win enough as a face.

He could’ve had a great face title run circa 2000-01, and also during his “list of Jericho” run after Owens turned on him.

But yeah, he can do it all.

Underrated PPV 2001 No Way Out.
Jericho IC match, Austin-HHH best of 3 falls match, Rock-Angle main event.

I think I mentioned before, I've basically slowly been rewatching attitude era stuff from all 3 companies. I'm just about up to this show. I've seen the two big matches before, but not in a while, and not the whole show.

Agreed. He’s the total package. I feel like the ONLY downside to his career, and it’s not his fault at all, is that they never pulled the trigger on giving him a baby face title run.

While his heel runs have been his bread and butter, he has also had a couple great face runs...but they never booked him to win enough as a face.

He could’ve had a great face title run circa 2000-01, and also during his “list of Jericho” run after Owens turned on him.

But yeah, he can do it all.

Related to the above; they gave him that fake like one hour title reign or whatever it was in April of 2000. Crowd totally bought it and would've supported him as the champ. But, you know, he's kinda short.

I think I mentioned before, I've basically slowly been rewatching attitude era stuff from all 3 companies. I'm just about up to this show. I've seen the two big matches before, but not in a while, and not the whole show.

Related to the above; they gave him that fake like one hour title reign or whatever it was in April of 2000. Crowd totally bought it and would've supported him as the champ. But, you know, he's kinda short.

Yes. Crowd went insane. There was a stretch in the biggest era of wrestling where the only face that was ahead of him was The Rock at his peak(Austin was out hurt). Even without the title, he had classic matches and feuds with guys like HHH and Benoit, classic promos and was incredibly over.

I said earlier in this thread...I wasn’t even into wrestling at that time, and I still knew and loved Jericho.

Yes. Crowd went insane. There was a stretch in the biggest era of wrestling where the only face that was ahead of him was The Rock at his peak(Austin was out hurt). Even without the title, he had classic matches and feuds with guys like HHH and Benoit, classic promos and was incredibly over.

I said earlier in this thread...I wasn’t even into wrestling at that time, and I still knew and loved Jericho.

There's stuff I pick up viewing all this again many years later. I always knew they missed the boat of pulling the trigger on guys like Benoit/Jericho up the card, but man, they really did. Jericho came in 99, was pretty hot, but they basically debuted him in that promo against Rock and then moved him right down the card. He worked his way up, and was super hot by April of 2000 and the crowd totally would've supported him as champ. But, like I said, you know. So he gets put into a feud with Benoit; tough to hate, super great matches laand all that. But then you get back to December/January of 2000/2001, and...they're feuding with each other again. They did have a great ladder match at the rumble (which legit may have contributed like 10-15% to any brain damage Benoit had) but it was like they were treading water

The best “total package” guys in that they were great wrestlers, great talkers, were incredibly over, and were equally great heels or faces...

I think Jericho and Savage top the list. No flaws with either, IMO.

I’d put Eddie Guerrero up there too.

Then you get into guys where you can nitpick something...
Benoit(not a great talker)
Flair(not a great face)
Michaels(honestly think he was terrible on the mic for like 90% of his career)
Hart(pedestrian on the mic for most of his face years - got really good in ‘97)
Angle(not a great face for the most part)
Mr. Perfect - not a great face, never got to shine as a main eventer
Austin - not a great worker anymore due to injury once everything else came into play - same schtick always, no real nuance(not that he needed it as over as he was)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom