WWE Thread | Page 88 | Syracusefan.com

WWE Thread

So, either Lashley is coming back to do the job--or Vince has finally figured out that Omos is a stiff.
Yes. I'm wondering the same thing. I sure hope it isn't Lashley jobbing. He is so over. Crowd popped big for his return last night.

So, either Lashley is coming back to do the job--or Vince has finally figured out that Omos is a stiff.

He has had Omos destroying fairly competent people in handicap matches the last few weeks I would be stunned if he doesn't win. I'm sure the end goal is to get him to main event status within the calendar year -- but not sure how that can be successful in any way given that he can't even wrestle a competent match. This is no longer the 1980's!

Noticed MVP was not around last night. My guess is MVP turns on Lashley, helps Omos win by cheating, and they try to lessen the "job" of Lashley that way. Omos needs a mouthpiece as they keep pushing him

He has had Omos destroying fairly competent people in handicap matches the last few weeks I would be stunned if he doesn't win. I'm sure the end goal is to get him to main event status within the calendar year -- but not sure how that can be successful in any way given that he can't even wrestle a competent match. This is no longer the 1980's!

Noticed MVP was not around last night. My guess is MVP turns on Lashley, helps Omos win by cheating, and they try to lessen the "job" of Lashley that way. Omos needs a mouthpiece as they keep pushing him
I could see this scenario play out.

Omos is still stiff, but he is more athletic than some of the former giants (Khali, Gonzalez, etc) of the past. There is no doubt that he has been getting pushed.

Didn’t realize HHH was having serious heart problems and almost died? Scary.

Saturday Night
Wrestlemania or UNC/Duke.

What are you watching.

Saturday Night
Wrestlemania or UNC/Duke.

What are you watching.
I'll have Wrestlemania on my laptop but more focused on the basketball on tv

Hoops game. I have the bird channel and still haven't watched any WWE. For context I started to check out around 2006 and was fully out by 2010.

My choice to watch Wrestlemania on Saturday night has very little to do with the quality of Wrestlemania. Its more a commentary on my distaste for the Duke/UNC game and finding some alternative to it.

I will probably end up PVR'ing both.

As a sidenote I set a personal record of fast forwarding through RAW on Monday night in 8 minutes. I stopped at the Kevin Owens segment and that was about it. (I suppose my record is 0 minutes which has been tied on several occasions)

I will definitely watch UNC/Duke. I lived in Greensboro for awhile as a middle school kid. I fully “get” that rivalry as I lived it in the middle school hallways….literally EVERY kid down there picked a side and rooted. Even the so called “geeks” who weren’t otherwise into sports…they followed college hoops and rooted for a North Carolina team. Majority - UNC, with Duke and “State” having similar sized secondary bases. Nobody liked Wake….until all of the Duke and State kids loved them when Randolph Childress led them to the ACC title over UNC.

Me being a proud and defiant ahole by nature wore my Syracuse gear constantly while I lived down there…..my school was a huge and weird melting pot of country hicks and city kids….the “country” kids were either completely bewildered(they had no idea any other teams played college b-ball) and sometimes even slightly offended. They either had no idea what I was doing, didn’t like it, or both. The “city” kids always respected it and wanted to talk hoops with me, and assumed Syracuse and NYC were the same thing, and I must’ve come from the playgrounds where Kenny Anderson played.(lol)

Easy choice for me even if WWE was any good.

Also, this two days Mania is absolutely stupid and I will never support it. I’ll eventually watch the couple matches that I care about.

Jericho, Punk, and Bryan are the only WWE guys that I truly cared about at any point in the last decade and they’re all in the other company so…..WWE just doesn’t hold any clout with me now.

I will definitely watch UNC/Duke. I lived in Greensboro for awhile as a middle school kid. I fully “get” that rivalry as I lived it in the middle school hallways….literally EVERY kid down there picked a side and rooted. Even the so called “geeks” who weren’t otherwise into sports…they followed college hoops and rooted for a North Carolina team. Majority - UNC, with Duke and “State” having similar sized secondary bases. Nobody liked Wake….until all of the Duke and State kids loved them when Randolph Childress led them to the ACC title over UNC.

Me being a proud and defiant ahole by nature wore my Syracuse gear constantly while I lived down there…..my school was a huge and weird melting pot of country hicks and city kids….the “country” kids were either completely bewildered(they had no idea any other teams played college b-ball) and sometimes even slightly offended. They either had no idea what I was doing, didn’t like it, or both. The “city” kids always respected it and wanted to talk hoops with me, and assumed Syracuse and NYC were the same thing, and I must’ve come from the playgrounds where Kenny Anderson played.(lol)

Easy choice for me even if WWE was any good.

Also, this two days Mania is absolutely stupid and I will never support it. I’ll eventually watch the couple matches that I care about.

Jericho, Punk, and Bryan are the only WWE guys that I truly cared about at any point in the last decade and they’re all in the other company so…..WWE just doesn’t hold any clout with me now.

It's a great rivalry for those who care about it. And there are many - but not me.

I disagree on the two day thing. I actually prefer two days, but with a few provisions.

1. When WMania was good (or had compelling shows) a 5-6 hour show was just way too long.
2. I couldn't imagine watching a 5-6 hour show nowadays with all the filler between matches. The PPV's the WWE did do well on over the past year, that I didn't fast forward too much (or didn;t stop watching), were those that were 2:30-3:00 hours long. Not the major PPV's which drag. The shorter the better!

Of course the solution (other than making the show more entertaining) is to make WrestleMania a 3 hour (3:30 max) show and cut all the crap. But we know that is not what they are going to do.

Also at the end of the day most of my WWE watching is PVR anyway, so if its one or two days I suppose it does not really matter.

I disagree on the two day thing. I actually prefer two days, but with a few provisions.

1. When WMania was good (or had compelling shows) a 5-6 hour show was just way too long.
2. I couldn't imagine watching a 5-6 hour show nowadays with all the filler between matches. The PPV's the WWE did do well on over the past year, that I didn't fast forward too much, were those that were 2:30-3:00 hours long. Not the major PPV's which drag. The shorter the better!

Of course the solution (other than making the show more entertaining) is to make WrestleMania a 3 hour (3:30 max) show and cut all the crap. But we know that is not what they are going to do.

Also at the end of the day most of my WWE watching is PVR anyway, so if its one or two days I suppose it does not matter much
Yeah, I agree with all of that….except I want to be stubborn and say “no - one day show! 3-4 hours “.

Seriously - that’s what it should be. For everybody - if a fan is going to watch Wrestlemania - that should be a one day thing!

There’s no reason they can’t put on a good show of 10-12 matches in 4 hours. They don’t even build anybody up other than like 5-6 people! They just fill the show with the “2 weeks Super Bowl pregame” crap as if it’s a real sport, and it’s just SO stupid. I don’t need to watch Peter Rosenberg, Booker T, and a couple other people up there yapping like a fake ass Michael Strahan, Jimmy Johnson, etc. Just give us the matches, and briefer rundowns of the feuds. That’s it:

Yeah, I agree with all of that….except I want to be stubborn and say “no - one day show! 3-4 hours “.

Seriously - that’s what it should be. For everybody - if a fan is going to watch Wrestlemania - that should be a one day thing!

There’s no reason they can’t put on a good show of 10-12 matches in 4 hours. They don’t even build anybody up other than like 5-6 people! They just fill the show with the “2 weeks Super Bowl pregame” crap as if it’s a real sport, and it’s just SO stupid. I don’t need to watch Peter Rosenberg, Booker T, and a couple other people up there yapping like a fake ass Michael Strahan, Jimmy Johnson, etc. Just give us the matches, and briefer rundowns of the feuds. That’s it:

With the way WWE poorly builds things right now the best shows they have are when they have 7 or so matches. Which is probably why some of their lower tier shows are amongst the few that have been decent.

I listen to a few podcasts on Wrestling when I bike or walk. ( I spend more time listening to those, than the 20-30 minutes I actually watch the stuff during the week maximum). Its more entertaining to complain about the stupidity and flaws of the WWE then trying to find quality in it.

According to a review of their last WWE PPV, one of the guys kept a count of segments between wrestling matches from the time the main show started until the end. There was close to 25 segments surrounding the in ring matches!! (be it an interview in the back, an extended advertisement, a video package before a match an analysis before a match by the panel). This doesn't even include the pre-show.

Last edited:
I listen to a few podcasts on Wrestling when I bike or walk.

According to a review of their last WWE PPV, one of the guys kept a count of segments between wrestling matches from the time the main show started until the end. There was close to 25 segments surrounding the in ring matches!! (be it an interview in the back, an extended advertisement, a video package before a match an analysis before a match by the panel). This doesn't even include the pre-show.
I believe it. I do not have the attention span for that, and I wonder who does?

Its just a horrible product. Painful to sit through…and by choice!!

AEW>>>>>>

I believe it. I do not have the attention span for that, and I wonder who does?

Its just a horrible product. Painful to sit through…and by choice!!

AEW>>>>>>

I certainly watch much more AEW... its typically on PVR as well, but I don't fast forward much (if any of it) like the WWE.

The problem with AEW at times is they are going at 300 miles per hour.
The WWE on the other hand is going about 10 miles per hour.
The AEW needs to find the middle ground between the two - that being said its hard with their massive roster -- and they keep adding a few new goodies each week.

The last two Dynamites shoes were well paced.

The show from three weeks ago was like one massive Cocaine Binge from start to finish. Not that it wasn't entertaining, but it was just too much. Going off the top of my head.

- Start with a AEW Title match (a quality 15-20 minute match)
- Jericho comes out - apologizes to Eddie Kingston
- Jericho turns on Kingston, Santana, Ortiz
- Jericho sets up a new group.
- Introduced to Regal for first time on dynamite
Goes to Commercial and this is where it gets really insane.
- Out of the blue in a 30 second segment Tully Blanchard is fired
- Then we see Shane Strickland 30 second segment -- no time to show your recent big acquisition you promtoed the night before
- Matt Hardy. Andrade segment
- Matt Hardy is turned on
- Sting and Darby come in to save Matt
- Jeff Hardy comes out for first time in AEW to save Matt
- Backstage 20 second segment to see Keith Lee challenged by somebody (Couldn't give Keith Lee more time, and he is already geting overlooked because there is too much).
- Then Title Match #2 (don't remember much of that)
- Then a few minute filler o something
- Then TItle Match #3
- Title change
- Paige Van Zant signs a contract

That's a lot of things going on in 2 hours! On the other then significant things of interest that happen on a WWE show is typically less than 3. One of the central storylines on RAW the past month was Seth Rollins trying to "earn" a match for Wrestlemania and failing -- they had two main events around it. This week Vince tells Seth why didn't you just ask for a match. Making the slow storylines for the 3-4 week before that completely meaningless.

Last edited:
You could certainly do it in one day--IF you got rid of all the promo packages that anybody who watches WWE has seen at least ten times each. That's why even a shorter show (all things being relative) still feels long. Oh, and more thought goes into the entrances than into the matches.

But, hey, it's not rasslin', it's sports entertainment.

It's crazy to look back at the 80's and 90's and see how they built a feud out of nothing. For example they did the gimmick Rick Martel-Jake Roberts blindfold match and all they had to do was spray Jake in the eye with cologne.

I understand storytelling is much much more complex now but I think the WWE writers or Vince etc just have a massive understanding gap between them and fans. You can still tell good stories if you trust talent. Roman going heel is a good example.

How do neither of the midcard titles not have a spot on a 2-day Wrestlemania? Especially after Scott Hall’s death a few weeks ago - perfect opportunity to have a Ladder Match for the IC Title in his honor, especially with a high flyer like Ricochet holding the belt now. Just massive failures in booking matches this year.

How do neither of the midcard titles not have a spot on a 2-day Wrestlemania? Especially after Scott Hall’s death a few weeks ago - perfect opportunity to have a Ladder Match for the IC Title in his honor, especially with a high flyer like Ricochet holding the belt now. Just massive failures in booking matches this year.

Instead his role this week was to cross over to RAW to lose clean to Austin Theory (Seemed clean anyway, had no interest in slowing down my Fast Forward to capture context)

Basically they would rather put over a guy wrestling a celebrity Wrestlemania, instead of giving any credibility to the IC Title.

It's crazy to look back at the 80's and 90's and see how they built a feud out of nothing. For example they did the gimmick Rick Martel-Jake Roberts blindfold match and all they had to do was spray Jake in the eye with cologne.

I understand storytelling is much much more complex now but I think the WWE writers or Vince etc just have a massive understanding gap between them and fans. You can still tell good stories if you trust talent. Roman going heel is a good example.
It’s usually corny now. This is wrestling, not HBO. It doesn’t need to be complex. Just make me think that they don’t like each other, and have them settle their beef in the ring. Shouldn’t be that hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom