15 - 10 with 6 games to go | Syracusefan.com

15 - 10 with 6 games to go

RF2044

Living Legend
...need only 1 more win to guarantee a non-losing season.

I know, I know -- that's setting the bar low, as a function of historical program performance. But I don't want to have another losing season.

Team has gotten a LOT better over the course of the season. We struggled to win close games earlier, and now have won back-to-back games where we closed exceptionally strongly, and put both teams away on the road.

I think we're squarely in the NIT. NCAA is a longshot at this point. Need to go 3-3 AT LEAST over the remaining games just to stay in contention, and then win 2 in the ACCT. And that still might not be enough. But at least we'd have a puncher's chance.

As stated, the team has gotten a lot better from the beginning of the year.

Last edited:
Two back to back wins on the road. BC was a good road win. They’ve been tough at home and won last night at VT. Now, we have to play well at home.

I know, I know -- that's setting the bar low, as a function of historical program performance. But I don't want to have another losing season.

Team has gotten a LOT better over the course of the season. We struggled to win close games earlier, and now have won back-to-back games where we closed exceptionally strongly, and put both teams away on the road.
Six conference games with four of them at home. Anything can happen.

The next two games are at home against the two ACC teams just in front of us in the standings, NC State and Duke. These are big games if we want to finish in the top 5 or 7 in the conference.

Sad we have no game this weekend.

This has been a weird and not very enjoyable conference schedule all season.

Same I thought we would be about the same as last year. I think we are a tick better this year and I think that is due to having an actual PG on the roster compared to last year.
I'm starting to think that our record reflects the parity in college basketball this year - especially in the ACC. Young team, learning how to play together, we're pretty close.

NC State will be, if not tough, at least, interesting, expecially for Jesse. I've watched Burns play a couple times and Jesse will get pushed around and on the edge of fouling most of the time. The young guy is good.

I looked at State's roster and for those on Twitter, Burn's handle is beastboyburns. Gives you a clue to how he thinks of himself.

State is the highest scoring team in the ACC. Hopefully we can do almost as good a job on them as Virginia did.

I think we're squarely in the NIT. NCAA is a longshot at this point. Need to go 3-3 AT LEAST over the remaining games just to stay in contention, and then win 2 in the ACCT. And that still might not be enough. But at least we'd have a puncher's chance.

As stated, the team has gotten a lot better from the beginning of the year.
<fist bump gif>

<fist bump gif>
the office fist bump GIF

I'm starting to think that our record reflects the parity in college basketball this year - especially in the ACC. Young team, learning how to play together, we're pretty close.
10 years ago there were .45 three point shots per minute played
This year there are .54 three point shots per minute played

It's not just the shot clock, two point shots are about the same per minute (.89 now, .91 then)

Teams shoot the same percentage from three 34% but they take more of them. I think more guys that can shoot all over the place increases parity

team is a lot better than it was in November. We need Jesse, Judah, and Joe to be good and a reasonable bit of help from the forwards and/or Symir. I have noticed Symir passing up some decent mid-range jumpers lately. I wonder if he or coach think we are better off with him not shooting. We have some challenging tests coming up, but no games should be considered sure losses. Season goes too fast for me but at least the end of the season coincides with the ending of Winter.

10 years ago there were .45 three point shots per minute played
This year there are .54 three point shots per minute played

It's not just the shot clock, two point shots are about the same per minute (.89 now, .91 then)

Teams shoot the same percentage from three 34% but they take more of them. I think more guys that can shoot all over the place increases parity

Those stats imply that teams are playing faster/more possessions. I wonder if more possessions increases parity.

Last edited:
At 15-10 with 6 to go. Does 20-11/19-12 give us a puncher's chance to be in the discussion for the tournament? Or is it win out (and the ACC) to be 24-10 to get us to an 11 seed?

i'm confused what the realistic chances are for this team going into March. I'm discounting the NIT because I think if we get to over 500 we'll be selected there

Those stats imply that teams are playing faster/more possessions. I wonder if more possessions increase parity.

Overall per Ken pom the possessions per 40 min data hasn't moved all that much compared with how much 3pt shooting volume has increased. You can look at it through the tempo column if interested.

The zone naturally positions us as a slower tempo team and naturally slows the game for our opponents too. Given the zone is used on occasion for most teams vs full time, you don't have that variable and really the only variable is the shot clock. 30 seconds hasn't had a huge impact. 24 seconds i feel would be a different animal and I think that's where they should take it.

At 15-10 with 6 to go. Does 20-11/19-12 give us a puncher's chance to be in the discussion for the tournament? Or is it win out (and the ACC) to be 24-10 to get us to an 11 seed?

i'm confused what the realistic chances are for this team going into March. I'm discounting the NIT because I think if we get to over 500 we'll be selected there

It's tough because at 97 right now with 6 to go it's going to take getting to 20 wins to likely be in the 70s. First we need to get to 20 then see where that positions us in the NET. I would expect an ACCT semi puts us in the last 8 out but that's still just a guess.

NC State will be, if not tough, at least, interesting, expecially for Jesse. I've watched Burns play a couple times and Jesse will get pushed around and on the edge of fouling most of the time. The young guy is good.

I looked at State's roster and for those on Twitter, Burn's handle is beastboyburns. Gives you a clue to how he thinks of himself.

State is the highest scoring team in the ACC. Hopefully we can do almost as good a job on them as Virginia did.
Big boy Burns is a grad student, since he redshirted at Tennessee before his 3 years at Winthrop, wonder if he’ll take his Covid year and come back to NCSt?

Six conference games with four of them at home. Anything can happen.

We have done well vs Rutgers south and Duke has talent but just isn't that good.

Clemson and Pitt- not sure what to expect. We seem to be having a Jamie Dixon redux issue with Capel and Pitt of late. Those two will be tough nuts to crack. Should we somehow get all 4 of those then we legit could get to 21 wins and it really gets interesting. First things first gotta beat NCS and then Duke. Get to 17 wins.. then gotta have everyone playing their best at the same time to get Pitt or Clemson.

Those stats imply that teams are playing faster/more possessions. I wonder if more possessions increases parity.
They changed the shot clock in that time, maybe? I can't remember when they did that. If anything more possessions would amplify the advantage better teams have per play or per possession

I think the problem with basketball is we started with 2 points. a three point shot really shouldn't be worth 50% more. it would be better if a 2 point shot were worth three and a 3 point shot were worth four but that breaks our rules of thumb about how well individual players score.

it takes a long time to get smart and realize that 22 footers worth 3 are better than 17 footers worth 2. Eventually basketball got there.

Beat NC St and Duke and I think we start hearing light bubble conversations. Remaining schedule (outside of GT) gives us some chances at quality wins. Would 20-12 and a ACC tourney victory or 2 get us in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom