2022 Spring game is Friday April 1 | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Spring game is Friday April 1

Serious question - Do we have more place kickers than tight ends on scholarship; and, are any of them any good?
I think we have Andre and an incoming freshman as far as placekickers on scholarship, you may be confusing some walk ons. Andre is good.

Williams was banging his punts in warmups.

I think we have Andre and an incoming freshman as far as placekickers on scholarship, you may be confusing some walk ons. Andre is good.
2018 Andre Szmyt was good. I'm hoping Hawkins and Williams are walkons then. Penn State has like 8 TEs on their roster. We need to bring in some TEs fast.

2018 Andre Szmyt was good. I'm hoping Hawkins and Williams are walkons then. Penn State has like 8 TEs on their roster. We need to bring in some TEs fast.
8 is way too many. Like 10% of their roster.

Was good is more appropriate. Has to redeem himself this season after 2 not so good years.

Quick thoughts/observations:
Good format and lots of snaps with lots of reps for a ton of guys. Was very entertaining to watch live and I'm hoping to go back and watch the TV broadcast.

1st team defense looked solid. Very active up front and they just make it tough with the different looks they give you and how reactive the back 8 are after the snap. They squeeze the seams and close ground incredibly fast.

Very impressed with Denis Jaquez and Jatius Geer. Both of those guys are going to be players. Jaquez has a great first step and seemed to set the edge with ease. Most of his reps were against Enrique Cruz, who I thought also looked really good, just tended to set a little too far outside which led to him getting beat once badly where Jaquez ended up with a sack.

WR group looks bigger and more physical than any in recent history. Gadsden and Hatcher really stand out with how fluid they are in and out of their breaks and I thought they both caught the ball very well. Kendall Long also impressed me with his route running. I was disappointed that he wasn't targeted. Surprise of the night was Donovan Brown. He looked terrible in warm ups, seemed like he misjudged the ball a lot and ended up short on a lot of his routes. In live action I thought he was impressive given that he just got on campus. He's got size and speed and caught the ball fairly well. Biggest surprise was how instinctive he was after the catch, usually picking up extra yards by fighting through contact and finding space.

We are stacked at running back. Price and Allen both looked really good.

I don't want to wish the summer away, but August can't get here soon enough.

Lotta stress here about the TEs (or lack there of). I have similar wonderment, but, … Anae and Beck use the TE a lot in the passing game. Last year, they got a transfer, Jelani Woods from OKie State and he caught 44 balls for ~600 yards and eight TDs for the Hoos. What’s more, Woods rarely stayed in to block when in the game. He was a passing threat. He’s very likely to be drafted this year.

Will it happen this year at SU? Staying tuned. But it will happen before long.

Last edited:
Lotta stress here about the TEs (or lack there of). I have similar wonderment, but, … Anae and Beck use the TE a lot in the passing game. Last year, they got a transfer, Jelani Woods from OKie State and he caught 44 balls for ~600 yards and eight TDs last year for the Hoos. What’s more, Woods rarely stayed in to block when in the game. He was a passing threat. He’s very likely to be drafted this year.

Will it happen this year at SU? Staying tuned. But it will happen before long.
I hope so too. But, a lot of the portal TEs are already gone.
Maybe catch the 2nd wave after Spring ball.

I hope so too. But, a lot of the portal TEs are already gone.
Maybe catch the 2nd wave after Spring ball.
Well, flying blind here, but Woods was listed at 6-7, 259 by UVa last year. This spring, Max Mang is listed at 6-7, 254; while Mahar admittedly/likely has some more work to do. He’s listed at 6-5, 232.

So I heard Dino was definitely pushed to do more for the spring game. He was told the fan base needs to see more. So he is making it like a game. I still don’t expect to see a whole lot schematically. They don’t have the whole offense in. Particularly the passing game.
This is endlessly frustrating to me. Why does Dino have to be pushed? imo its a given we play a spring game. I think SS started this nonsense by only doing drives inside the 50.
Idgaf who the coach is the job description includes a spring game for the fans.

Last edited:
Dino said Barron had off-season back surgery.

They’re being extra cautious w him, but he’ll be ready to go.
Spoke to him as well. Hes big and really well built. Looks the part. Said he will be 100% this fall

It was most likely mentioned somewhere in here, but Price looks really good, our backfield is going to be something this year. Tucker, Price, and Allen. If Anae and Beck get our passing game to even average, our offense could absolutely explode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom