2023 PLL Season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2023 PLL Season

Nine athletes and one assistant coach are listed on 30-man training camp rosters as the PLL gets set for its fifth season. Former 'Cuse netminder and long-time official Matt Palumb will also be with the PLL for the 2023 PLL season.

As of May 23, Atlas lists Brendan Curry (midfield), Peter Dearth (short-stick defensive midfielder), and Drake Porter (goalie). Steven Brooks is back as an assistant coach after serving as the interim head coach and guiding Atlas to the title game for the PLL's Championship Series in February.

Cannons will trot out two former Orange, Steven Rehfuss (midfield) and Jakob Phaup (faceoff), while Chaos will have a similar number in the recently-claimed Alex Simmons (attack) and Brett Kennedy (defense), now in his second professional field season

The 30-man training camp roster for the Redwoods sports Cole Kirst (midfield), the 18th overall pick (third round) in last week's PLL College Draft.

Two-time PLL champion Whipsnakes LC drafted Tucker Dordevic sixth overall in this year's draft and have the versatile offensive player listed as a midfielder. Dordevic played at Syracuse from 2018-22. He elected to conclude his collegiate eligibility at Georgetown University for Spring 2023.

Fw5ahQUWcAA7SQM

Shrmdougluvr Jr and Shrmdougluvr III spent quite a bit of time hanging around the PLL practices over the past two days. If you live in the Capital District and can get to UAlbany, its worth checking out. You can basically watch four practices simultaneously. The players pass by where the spectators are so their is lots of interaction. Among others, my sons, and about about three of their friends, spent time talking with Michael Sowers (The III's favorite player), Zach Currier, Jules Heningberg, Paul Rabil, Cole Kirst (gave one of his friend's his head from Syracuse), Blaze Riorden, Brett Kennedy, Roman Pugliese, Jerry Ragonese, Jarod Neumann, Drake Porter, and many others. They have about five balls full of signatures, and several PLL cards.

I don't have a lot of observations about the play itself, obviously the level is top notch. My primary observation is how much bigger the players look now. A few years ago, they mostly looked like guys coming in to work a second job - former athletes. Height wise they are getting taller on average, and they almost all are fairly muscled-out.

Spent the most time talking to Brett Kennedy this morning. He is still really enthusiastic about Syracuse, both the Program and University. He was extremely high on Will Mark (Porter was too) and there must be a lot of talk around the fogo recruit in this class, as he specifically mentioned that addition.

Last edited:
Shrmdougluvr Jr and Shrmdougluvr III spent quite a bit of time hanging around the PLL practices over the past two days. If you live in the Capital District and can get to UAlbany, its worth checking out. You can basically watch four practices simultaneously. The players pass by where the spectators are so their is lots of interaction. Among others, my sons, and about about three of their friends, spent time talking with Michael Sowers (The III's favorite player), Zach Currier, Jules Heningberg, Paul Rabil, Cole Kirst (gave one of his friend's his head from Syracuse), Blaze Riorden, Brett Kennedy, Roman Pugliese, Jerry Ragonese, Jarod Neumann, Drake Porter, and many others. They have about five balls full of signatures, and several PLL cards.

I don't have a lot of observations about the play itself, obviously the level is top notch. My primary observation is how much bigger the players look now. A few years ago, they mostly looked like guys coming in to work a second job - former athletes. Height wise they are getting taller on average, and they almost all are fairly muscled-out.

Spent the most time talking to Brett Kennedy this morning. He is still really enthusiastic about Syracuse, both the Program and University. He was extremely high on Will Mark (Porter was too) and there must be a lot of talk around the fogo recruit in this class, as he specifically mentioned that addition.
That is great to know one can attend practices. Pumped for the CT stop on the season.

Nine athletes and one assistant coach are listed on 30-man training camp rosters as the PLL gets set for its fifth season. Former 'Cuse netminder and long-time official Matt Palumb will also be with the PLL for the 2023 PLL season.

As of May 23, Atlas lists Brendan Curry (midfield), Peter Dearth (short-stick defensive midfielder), and Drake Porter (goalie). Steven Brooks is back as an assistant coach after serving as the interim head coach and guiding Atlas to the title game for the PLL's Championship Series in February.

Cannons will trot out two former Orange, Steven Rehfuss (midfield) and Jakob Phaup (faceoff), while Chaos will have a similar number in the recently-claimed Alex Simmons (attack) and Brett Kennedy (defense), now in his second professional field season

The 30-man training camp roster for the Redwoods sports Cole Kirst (midfield), the 18th overall pick (third round) in last week's PLL College Draft.

Two-time PLL champion Whipsnakes LC drafted Tucker Dordevic sixth overall in this year's draft and have the versatile offensive player listed as a midfielder. Dordevic played at Syracuse from 2018-22. He elected to conclude his collegiate eligibility at Georgetown University for Spring 2023.

Fw5ahQUWcAA7SQM

Looks like all of the Cuse players made it to the final rosters. Great to see!

Looks like all of the Cuse players made it to the final rosters. Great to see!
Looks like brett kennedy didn’t make it. Don’t understand that dude is beast. Also never got why not have him play lsm instead of close in pll.

They all made the teams' 25 man rosters, but only 19 dress for gameday with an additional 2 in reserve.

Curry, Dearth, Porter, and Dordevic all made their teams' gameday rosters.

Rehfuss is a reserve for the Cannons.

Simmons is on the PUP list for the Chaos.

Kirst, Phaup, and Kennedy are all still on their teams, but didn't make the gameday/reserve rosters. If they remain that way (not on gameday or reserve) for 3 weeks, then other teams can claim them.

Regarding Kennedy - I agree. Though with the talent on the defensive side in the PLL, and the limited number of spots, it's so hard to crack the lineup. Chaos just brought in Bowen, and they have a solid core of defenders with Rowlett, Surdick (who will need to balance military commitments), and Neumann, who, at 29, is the oldest of the group but could have several years left in the tank. I do think Kennedy's future with this team, if there is one, lies at LSM. Costabile, while ageless on the field, is getting up there (33). Hard to know what happens at camp, but I feel that Kennedy should be battling with Reh for that second spot, but Reh does have a longer tenure and more familiarity with the coaching staff. All to say - I imagine/hope Kennedy is brought along and ultimately takes that second LSM spot. I'd love to see it happen sooner rather than later.

Was hoping Phaup could push Kelly for the Cannons FO job, and I don't think that battle is over. I wouldn't be surprised to see those two battle for a spot all season.

Happy Kirst got drafted but hard to see where exactly he cracks the lineup for the Woods - they have a lot of offensive pieces (and several still unavailable from the NLL). There's room on the roster for a solid 2-way middie, so if he develops those skills more, I think there's a chance.

Bummer Simmons is on PUP - Chaos is missing it's core offensive pieces right now so this would've been a huge opportunity. Not on the graphic, but Voight got called in for camp for the Chaos and did make the gameday roster.

Rehfuss on reserve is also a bummer, but not a terrible surprise. He had a great first year, but struggled last year (as did the whole Cannons offense). New coaches and a ton of new players left me a little nervous about how he'd fit it. Clearly, he had a decent camp - still being on the roster - but I don't know what his future with the Cannons is right now (or anyone's we'll see what they look like this weekend). They've got a lot of experimenting to do. I still feel like he has a unique and important skillset out of the box. With limited draft capital, I've also wondered if he'd be a potential trade for draft picks (Chaos and Chrome could use his skills right now). Either way, hope to see him getting some good playing time this season - his IQ and skills are fun to watch.

Also - so excited for the guys who made the gameday rosters. Dearth has really come along, and Porter and Curry finally have chances to prove they belong in the PLL. And of course, can't wait to see Dordevic in action for the first time.

Former LIU defenseman Chris Cambell made the Archers 25 man roster. He transferred to UMASS this past season for his grad yr when coach Wolf left. Became there number 1 cover guy. Wanted him at SU too with Mark and Murphy. Kid is a beast and was so underrated in college. Told u guys that LIU team had some underrated dogs on it. If Wolf stayed they would have been legit this yr. Just lacked depth behind all the guys who transferred out. Keep an eye on him u will enjoy his game he's an animal and highly skilled.

Former LIU defenseman Chris Cambell made the Archers 25 man roster. He transferred to UMASS this past season for his grad yr when coach Wolf left. Became there number 1 cover guy. Wanted him at SU too with Mark and Murphy. Kid is a beast and was so underrated in college. Told u guys that LIU team had some underrated dogs on it. If Wolf stayed they would have been legit this yr. Just lacked depth behind all the guys who transferred out. Keep an eye on him u will enjoy his game he's an animal and highly skilled.
We certainly would be a heck of a lot worse without the LIU guys from last season. Murphy will be missed

FWIW regarding Rhefuss being on the reserve roster for the Cannons -

Galloway and White were the only reason I ever watched the PLL I can’t stand Rabil or his league. I would much rather watch SU alums play box in the MSL or real field at Lake Placid but that’s just me

Gait mentioned during the season that Simmons was playing through an injury. Sounds like it was pretty serious. Kudos to Alex for battling through for the Orange.

Is Simmons out for season or just to start ?

Good insight on Rehfuss. I still have a feeling the new Cannons staff will not utilize him effectively this year.

For Simmons, depends on the recovery timeline but I think it should just be a few weeks? I could be terribly wrong.

Dearth having a good game so far. Solid on defense and plenty of ground balls out of faceoff scrums.

Tucker def has skill to be great pll middie for sure. Can snipe it with both hands even on run also. The thing i worry bout him is his passing. He really need to improve or work on his passing game. He was always so use to being the guy to just go n go for shot. Now he’s in league where all dudes are pretty much killers. Needs to be able to feed the ball more to teammates then college which think will open many lanes for him if does so. Be even more dangerous if they can’t play him as just shooter but have to play him as shooter/feeder. But curry is def someone i want to prove and stay out there on game day. Said pressler loves his pop n believe it kid has speed for days n nasty shot. He’s also good dishing ball. Great to see him score on his only shot of game.

Rehfuss least he was reserve player i guess instead of not at all. Grant call me crazy i think he is as good if not tad better then nolting. Nolting is bigger body and can play that way but think overal skill set him and rehfuss are same but rehfuss better feeder n better shot. Nolting id say better at in close finishing. Nolting also struggles with turnovers where i didn’t see rehfuss turn ball over much. Could be little bias maby but honestly feel rehfuss would be my choice over nolthin. Holman just to good to beat him out. Matty ice think has dropped off last two years production wise so i’d even argue rehfuss over him. Drenner holman donville prob only ones don’t think much of argument but prob wouldn’t mind arguing over some of others tho. Also not totally sold on donville but apparently he’s really good in coaches eyes or super impressed them last year and camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom