2023 Spring Practice | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Spring Practice

Think Jobity is going to be really good, just a matter of when
Agree on Jobity. I loved that pick up when we got him. He hadn't played football very long and was very sucessful instantantly in HS. He just seemed to have the size, athleticism and aggression to excel as a DE. Tons of raw potential. I think he is going to be a terror very soon.

Agreed. There hasn’t been much noise on the DL this spring. Feel like that unit is probably the deepest in the team
If Perry comes in ready to play, we could go 6 deep in the middle. In 2021, I think 4 DTs averaged more than 10 snaps a game - there are certainly reps to go around, so the more capable hands the better.

Surprisingly, I think there are more question marks on the outside positions beyond Caleb and Geer. Is Jobity ready, as he was forced into the lineup last year because of injury? Can Jacquez stay healthy? Can Simmons, and can he contribute? Is Nolton ready after a RS year?

If Perry comes in ready to play, we could go 6 deep in the middle. In 2021, I think 4 DTs averaged more than 10 snaps a game - there are certainly reps to go around, so the more capable hands the better.

Surprisingly, I think there are more question marks on the outside positions beyond Caleb and Geer. Is Jobity ready, as he was forced into the lineup last year because of injury? Can Jacquez stay healthy? Can Simmons, and can he contribute? Is Nolton ready after a RS year?
I mean Jacquez and Simmons both went down with upper body injuries I believe. That’s just bad luck really. Certainly in the case of Jacquez’ broken wrist it was. The edge should be fine. Caleb, Geer, Simmons, Jobity and then also Thompson and Lowery who are really hybrid OLBs.

I mean Jacquez and Simmons both went down with upper body injuries I believe. That’s just bad luck really. Certainly in the case of Jacquez’ broken wrist it was. The edge should be fine. Caleb, Geer, Simmons, Jobity and then also Thompson and Lowery who are really hybrid OLBs.
Everyone is assuming none of these players decide to portal. Maybe they don‘t want to be part of the depth chart, but want to play starter minutes. It’s going to be difficulty for SU and maybe for others to maintain depth.

Everyone is assuming none of these players decide to portal. Maybe they don‘t want to be part of the depth chart, but want to play starter minutes. It’s going to be difficulty for SU and maybe for others to maintain depth.
Yes we have a lot of potential on the depth chart for the DL. I think we all know their is a possibility of guys transfering out. That is true for every team at every position. But you can't worry about what if a guy here or there leaves. Only thing you can do is build an environment that they don't want to leave from and try to balance out the class year eligibility at each position group to try to help prevent departures. Then be ready to back fill any departures as needed.

Edit: And try to have enough NIL available to where they are satisfied and not looking for "greener" pastures.

Last edited:
Who wants to live their life worrying about that? It’s reality, sure, but what happens happens.

Yes we have a lot of potential on the depth chart for the DL. I think we all know their is a possibility of guys transfering out. That is true for every team at every position. But you can't worry about what if a guy here or there leaves. Only thing you can do is build an environment that they don't want to leave from and try to balance out the class eligibility at each position group to try to help prevent departures. Then be ready to back fill any departures as needed.

Edit: And try to have enough NIL available to where they are satisfied and not looking for "greener" pastures.
NlL for 2nd and 3rd string depth chart players? Can’t see how we would have enough to stop them from transferring if they are doing so to get more playing time.

NlL for 2nd and 3rd string depth chart players? Can’t see how we would have enough to stop them from transferring if they are doing so to get more playing time.
No. That comment was meant more for preventing the starters from leaving. Because really you need to try to prevent the starters and depth from leaving.

No. That comment was meant more for preventing the starters from leaving. Because really you need to try to prevent the starters and depth from leaving.

If they aren't starters and they aren't depth, to heck with them. :mad:

Last edited:
Yes we have a lot of potential on the depth chart for the DL. I think we all know their is a possibility of guys transfering out. That is true for every team at every position. But you can't worry about what if a guy here or there leaves. Only thing you can do is build an environment that they don't want to leave from and try to balance out the class year eligibility at each position group to try to help prevent departures. Then be ready to back fill any departures as needed.

How does the top 4 or 5 teams keep their D-line, three deep, and all 4* and 5* together?

Look this defense has the potential to be something special. I do believe if we had all these players healthy and able to play last year in that game against Clemson, we would have buried then. We were short handed and got tired out. (Not to mention a bad no call of a personal foul) You need rotational players and need quite a few. We have that now and good ones too and need the coaches to instill it in the team . To me a good D will stop a good O. And I believe we are going to see one of the best in the ACC with this team. BOU YA

How does the top 4 or 5 teams keep their D-line, three deep, and all 4* and 5* together?
Because they know once they get a chance to play they are likely headed to the NFL. But really I think they do lose players. But they are the guys on the fringe of if they are ever going to play or not. Then they replace them with some other young hungry stud prospect. Those teams don’t have to worry about their studs leaving for a perceived better opportunity.

Look this defense has the potential to be something special. I do believe if we had all these players healthy and able to play last year in that game against Clemson, we would have buried then. We were short handed and got tired out. (Not to mention a bad no call of a personal foul) You need rotational players and need quite a few. We have that now and good ones too and need the coaches to instill it in the team . To me a good D will stop a good O. And I believe we are going to see one of the best in the ACC with this team. BOU YA
Agree 100% and as good as Tony White is, I think Rocky is even better. Not to mention the value of having a DC who has almost 150 head coaching wins under his belt. We might have also won that Clemson game if Dino didn’t freeze up and waste 25 precious seconds before calling that late game timeout. Maybe Rocky will scream down from the booth and wake Dino up if he freezes up again!

Former Ivy Leaguer. Isaiah gets it. Kind of guy you love to root for.
The periphery of college sports may be going to hell, but I can still get excited about the game as it's played on the field. Wish I could make the Spring Game. Already set to tape record the game on my new cord-cutted Direct Streaming app. No Luddite me. It only took me 5 years to cut it.
Go Orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom