2023 Transfer Thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Transfer Thread

Grant he’s attackman and haven’t caught many bryant games but numbers stand point are good so what bout going after logan mcgovern ?

SU's pretty set at attack right now, seems unlikely.

Yea knew bryant kid was attackman and midfield is a get we need. But can’t hurt to have someone proven at attack plus if plagued by injuries again could come in handy. May push a young guy but but believe mcgovern does have two years left.

Yea knew bryant kid was attackman and midfield is a get we need. But can’t hurt to have someone proven at attack plus if plagued by injuries again could come in handy. May push a young guy but but believe mcgovern does have two years left.

SU will be 4 deep at attack going into next year not counting Kirst who will likely play midfield and Thomson who can play both. Seems unlikely SU would bring in a guy with 2 years left who right now doesn't have a path to significant PT. He will likely end up at Rutgers or a BE school.

Certainly hear you and know that’s case. After looking at some bryant game highlights tho dude is clearly skilled. Kirst is big body, clearly comes from a talented family and good as is simmons. Mcgovern just from little bit i’ve seen of all 3 (haven’t gotten to in-depth of course) but would prob take mcgovern over both. Just my opinion.

Casting a wide net for sure
A85B22BD-423A-4765-8FE3-DCDF6835DB49.jpeg

Just playing devils advocate.. lmao
7 players one coach and one future transfer ;)

Those weren't recent follows. He's probably followed all of those people for a long time. He very recently followed Galloway, like in the last 24 hours. Along with Jack Rowlett (former UNC player, now a Georgetown assistant), St. Joe's FOGO Zach Cole, two players at Harvard, and the Harvard and Georgetown official accounts. Have not seen any recent follows hinting at Cuse.

Those weren't recent follows. He's probably followed all of those people for a long time. He very recently followed Galloway, like in the last 24 hours. Along with Jack Rowlett (former UNC player, now a Georgetown assistant), St. Joe's FOGO Zach Cole, two players at Harvard, and the Harvard and Georgetown official accounts. Have not seen any recent follows hinting at Cuse.
He did very recently follow Michael Leo. So there’s that haha

In the end, I'm a bit dubious about this.
While it does depend a bit on IL's rankings, it seems to me that usually a highly touted (top 25) Canadian attack recruit will start, if there is an opening for him.
Adding to this, is that Thomson committed to Syracuse last fall, and is thus Gait's

This statement got me thinking - how many IL Top 25 recruits actually do make an impact as freshmen, and how big is that impact? I looked at the last three seasons, though I will admit it's not the perfect data set. 2020 was obviously a shortened season, 2021 the Ivy League didn't play and 2020 had the Ivy freshmen who didn't play lumped in. Still I think the results are pretty fascinating.

In terms of actually seeing playing time, the Top 25 has a pretty good hit rate. Below is the breakdown by season of the % of their team's games the Top 25 played.

2020: 76%
2021: 73%
2022: 75%

In terms of % of their team's games started, however, the numbers are a good bit lower.

2020: 46%
2021: 34%
2022: 39%

There is an obvious split between production between attackmen and midfield, which isn't surprising. Points per game is below:

Attack:
2020: 2.5
2021: 3.0
2022: 2.3

Midfield:
2020: 0.9
2021: 0.6
2022: 1.2

So it might feel really random that I spent time looking this up. But with so many freshmen expected to play prominent roles next year for the Orange, I was curious what our expectations should be? It seems fair to expect Spallina, if he starts next year to have something like 40 points. That would be impressive, Hiltz had 49 his freshmen year. Playing a lot of freshmen at midfield might not be super fruitful, if they are only going average about a point a game. Of course these numbers vary wildly as some players put up huge totals (Graham Bundy averaged a little over 3 points per game in 2020, someone like Reilly Gray at Notre Dame played in 1 game and didn't register a point).

So, in regards to Thomson, and Zach's statement, he might be on to something, as 80% of Top 25 attackmen recruits do play as freshmen, and 65% start. I should point out that I assigned positions based on what they were listed on their college roster, I counted hybrid players like Griffin Schutz and Brendan Grimes as midfielders. So it might come down to where the coaches see him as a college player, if it's as an attackmen he looks like he's in good company. If they try and play him at midfield it will be a rockier transition. We will just have to see what Fall Ball brings.

HS lax in NJ and LI lax tend to be more physical than many areas and produces a lot of top flight defenseman though you never know it given IL hype of local preps. Kyology is a good young player and be good addition . Might recall his older brother Kyle who walked on to UVA and started four years . Not as big as big bro but otherwise similar. Suspect he'll wind up at UVA

Could also be Rutgers. They lose a pole or two and god knows Brecht is not going to allow a player currently on the roster to fill that hole.

This statement got me thinking - how many IL Top 25 recruits actually do make an impact as freshmen, and how big is that impact? I looked at the last three seasons, though I will admit it's not the perfect data set. 2020 was obviously a shortened season, 2021 the Ivy League didn't play and 2020 had the Ivy freshmen who didn't play lumped in. Still I think the results are pretty fascinating.

In terms of actually seeing playing time, the Top 25 has a pretty good hit rate. Below is the breakdown by season of the % of their team's games the Top 25 played.

2020: 76%
2021: 73%
2022: 75%

In terms of % of their team's games started, however, the numbers are a good bit lower.

2020: 46%
2021: 34%
2022: 39%

There is an obvious split between production between attackmen and midfield, which isn't surprising. Points per game is below:

Attack:
2020: 2.5
2021: 3.0
2022: 2.3

Midfield:
2020: 0.9
2021: 0.6
2022: 1.2

So it might feel really random that I spent time looking this up. But with so many freshmen expected to play prominent roles next year for the Orange, I was curious what our expectations should be? It seems fair to expect Spallina, if he starts next year to have something like 40 points. That would be impressive, Hiltz had 49 his freshmen year. Playing a lot of freshmen at midfield might not be super fruitful, if they are only going average about a point a game. Of course these numbers vary wildly as some players put up huge totals (Graham Bundy averaged a little over 3 points per game in 2020, someone like Reilly Gray at Notre Dame played in 1 game and didn't register a point).

So, in regards to Thomson, and Zach's statement, he might be on to something, as 80% of Top 25 attackmen recruits do play as freshmen, and 65% start. I should point out that I assigned positions based on what they were listed on their college roster, I counted hybrid players like Griffin Schutz and Brendan Grimes as midfielders. So it might come down to where the coaches see him as a college player, if it's as an attackmen he looks like he's in good company. If they try and play him at midfield it will be a rockier transition. We will just have to see what Fall Ball brings.
Great analysis! Thanks for doing. I think the numbers certainly support what you're saying. The other thing I would add is that the player evaluations i.e. rankings have been getting more accurate over time IMO. The players who were ranked 1-2 over the past couple of years have proven to be legitimate stars right away - O'Neill, Hiltz, Shellenberger etc. This should bode well for Spallina who has been ranked #1 for a while now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom