2025 Transfer Thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2025 Transfer Thread

Koleton Marquis is apparently in the portal. Best friends with Trey Deere and played on the Orangeville Northmen with Spalinna, et al. Hasn’t played much in the ncaa much.

Ya no surprise figured this was coming. He barely played last year and not at all this year. Not sure where he will end up, could excellent in the right spot but needs to find a good fit.

rumblings that luke staudt is between ND and hop with hop the favorite

if marquis is looking for playing time then cuse would not be a great fit but i expect gait to at least kick the tires anyway...if not could see him doing well at albany, st joes, or vermont where they just let these box kids do their thing

if marquis is looking for playing time then cuse would not be a great fit but i expect gait to at least kick the tires anyway...if not could see him doing well at albany, st joes, or vermont where they just let these box kids do their thing

I know Cuse recruited Marquis out of HS but it's hard to see him being a good fit with the current roster. Despite the fact that SU is trying to trim the roster a bit with Thomson and Deere already on the roster it's hard to see a clear path for PT as you alluded.

I do think Albany or St. Joes would be a really good fit for him. Albany especially fees like a great fit. I can think of a few other schools who could really use the O help but not sure if they would be great fits ie Loyola, OSU etc.

Basically the only guy I could really see us using on offense is Hackett from Bryant, assuming Balsamo is off the table. With Spallina, Thomson, Deere, Elijah Brown, and others already in the fold, I think we are maxed out with guys who are not going to be breaking ankles and drawing slides, but will still get you a heck of a lot, with either passing/two man stuff or off ball play. None of those attack candidates move the needle enough for me where they could beat out Spallina Leo or Hiltz. They are either lefties, where there is overcrowding already, or not strong enough off the dodge.

Hackett could step in and be at the very least the same sort of dodging problem that Stevens was on offense. Maybe could play the wing as well, even though he (or anyone) will be a downgrade compared to Stevens there. His first step is high quality. Only significant concern is his 27% shooting, but that is with him consistently drawing the longpole matchup, which he is far less likely to receive here. He also appears to be a lefty, but we have more of a need for those at middie if Leo is slotted at attack next year.

I agree with Hackett being my first choice, I think with his speed he would certainly fill a need for SU. It's almost freaky how much he reminds me of Sam English. He struggled shooting last year, but shot 41% as a freshman (with 40 goals), so you know he has the ability. If he matches the shooting from his freshman year with the passing of his sophomore year (24 assists), then watch out. Anyone have any idea where he's looking? He's from Illinois so no obvious geographic connection to make.

I am intrigued by Malever. If a tweet popped up saying he was Syracuse bound I would think that's a good pickup. He had a very up and down season last year - combined for nine points against Princeton and Notre Dame in back to back games early in the year, had five points against Princeton in the first round NCAA game, but also had back to back games against Hopkins and Penn State with zero points. That said, as a profile, like another poster pointed out, he would certainly fill a need, being a righty X attackman would really help balance the offense. If he could regain his health pre-knee injury then that would be a really good pickup. Obviously that is hard to predict. Like Hackett he went from shooting 40% one year to 20% the following. I think he'd be worth rolling the dice for. I do wonder what his market would be like? If he really wants to play attack, most high level programs are "full" in that regard. Syracuse and Duke are the two teams that would have spots, depending on how head coaches feel about what they have coming back.

I was initially interested in Patterson from Hobart, if only because Statesmen fans were pretty upset he entered the portal. He's a righty, but putting up just 26 and six against a schedule like Hobart's last year leaves a lot to be desired, even if he was just a freshman. Keegan and Grayum like you said are lefty attackmen, which SU has an abundance of now. Would they move to midfield? Keegan looks like he could, but at that point are you just taking players just to take them?

Marquis looks to be a bit more jittery than the standard box player, but it's hard to see him breaking the SU starting lineup if he couldn't do it at Hopkins. Agree that SU should be looking for someone with a bit more speed. I do like the storyline of potentially reuniting the Orangeville "attack" line, but trying to recreate something that works well in box doesn't always translate to the field game. Hope he lands in a good place.

Ramsey I think would be a big pickup, but he has had some injury concerns (I am not sure how serious). Obviously if he's looking to be the number one choice, Syracuse isn't the place. Does anyone know what Mason Kohn's plans are? His LinkedIn still says he's a graduate student at SU, though he might not have updated it.

If it's true the roster is going to be cut further, I wonder how that effects SU's transfer plans? I can't remember the timeline from last year, but it seemed like SU had brought in a few guys by this time in 2023. Do you cut the roster to 43 hoping to get to 45 by the fall? Is there a mandate not to take on transfers? Does not look like SU will be filling their SSDM need with the portal, unless there are mystery players in there now we don't know about.

For whatever it's worth, it looks like Marquis is playing this summer with Owen Hiltz in the MSL on the Peterborough Lakers (Sam English is playing for the Oakville Rock in the same league) -

I agree with Hackett being my first choice, I think with his speed he would certainly fill a need for SU. It's almost freaky how much he reminds me of Sam English. He struggled shooting last year, but shot 41% as a freshman (with 40 goals), so you know he has the ability. If he matches the shooting from his freshman year with the passing of his sophomore year (24 assists), then watch out. Anyone have any idea where he's looking? He's from Illinois so no obvious geographic connection to make.

I am intrigued by Malever. If a tweet popped up saying he was Syracuse bound I would think that's a good pickup. He had a very up and down season last year - combined for nine points against Princeton and Notre Dame in back to back games early in the year, had five points against Princeton in the first round NCAA game, but also had back to back games against Hopkins and Penn State with zero points. That said, as a profile, like another poster pointed out, he would certainly fill a need, being a righty X attackman would really help balance the offense. If he could regain his health pre-knee injury then that would be a really good pickup. Obviously that is hard to predict. Like Hackett he went from shooting 40% one year to 20% the following. I think he'd be worth rolling the dice for. I do wonder what his market would be like? If he really wants to play attack, most high level programs are "full" in that regard. Syracuse and Duke are the two teams that would have spots, depending on how head coaches feel about what they have coming back.

I was initially interested in Patterson from Hobart, if only because Statesmen fans were pretty upset he entered the portal. He's a righty, but putting up just 26 and six against a schedule like Hobart's last year leaves a lot to be desired, even if he was just a freshman. Keegan and Grayum like you said are lefty attackmen, which SU has an abundance of now. Would they move to midfield? Keegan looks like he could, but at that point are you just taking players just to take them?

Marquis looks to be a bit more jittery than the standard box player, but it's hard to see him breaking the SU starting lineup if he couldn't do it at Hopkins. Agree that SU should be looking for someone with a bit more speed. I do like the storyline of potentially reuniting the Orangeville "attack" line, but trying to recreate something that works well in box doesn't always translate to the field game. Hope he lands in a good place.

Ramsey I think would be a big pickup, but he has had some injury concerns (I am not sure how serious). Obviously if he's looking to be the number one choice, Syracuse isn't the place. Does anyone know what Mason Kohn's plans are? His LinkedIn still says he's a graduate student at SU, though he might not have updated it.

If it's true the roster is going to be cut further, I wonder how that effects SU's transfer plans? I can't remember the timeline from last year, but it seemed like SU had brought in a few guys by this time in 2023. Do you cut the roster to 43 hoping to get to 45 by the fall? Is there a mandate not to take on transfers? Does not look like SU will be filling their SSDM need with the portal, unless there are mystery players in there now we don't know about.
With Malaver Patterson and Marquis I think there is some danger of another Mule situation. They may have some of the skills we would like to see out of an attack, but will not challenge their long pole matchups nearly as much as we would like. Really do not think there is anyone in the portal right now at attack that would outplay Spallina Hiltz and Leo as ball carriers/passers, or out play a guy like Deere in a more offball role. Think our best bet is just one reliable traditional dodger out of the midfield just to ensure we have enough options for drawing slides from that position. There is no Zawada type attack in the portal this year as of yet. Hackett is still my #1 guy. This Salisbury guy could maybe play that role as well.

Surprised Hopkins would be leading this sweepstakes over Notre Dame. NIL considerations? Perhaps he just wants to stay local to Baltimore. If he does moves across the street, the Jays have done a good job of filling holes through the portal this offseason, pains me to say. They apparently have a DIII fogo transfer and they've done their best to remake their SSDM room with the Yale guys. Goalie is a glaring need. Not sure Staudt would be as good as Irelan, but he wouldn't be a giant question mark.

Syracuse imo needs an alpha type (who doesn't), either at attack or midfield, but there is no one out there like that... and Spallina is the starting X until he's not here anymore.

Unless it's a goalie or a lock down SSDM I don't think this years role playing portal guys help. It's hard to believe these type of kids don't already exist on a 60 man roster.

Surprised Hopkins would be leading this sweepstakes over Notre Dame. NIL considerations? Perhaps he just wants to stay local to Baltimore. If he does moves across the street, the Jays have done a good job of filling holes through the portal this offseason, pains me to say. They apparently have a DIII fogo transfer and they've done their best to remake their SSDM room with the Yale guys. Goalie is a glaring need. Not sure Staudt would be as good as Irelan, but he wouldn't be a giant question mark.

Had heard Staudt was likely to end up at Hop, they had a real need and NIL.

Sounds like Aimone to PSU
hey is it good when your leading returning goal scorer transfers to your biggest rival..? asking for my friend brian...

staudt is a nice get for hop. hes underrated, turns a question mark into a possible strength. hop's NIL ability is starting to become a storyline to watch...

word on the street is that tillman is reaching out to every offensive player in the portal who has a pulse. they already have two guys and will prob get a few more...

hey is it good when your leading returning goal scorer transfers to your biggest rival..? asking for my friend brian...

staudt is a nice get for hop. hes underrated, turns a question mark into a possible strength. hop's NIL ability is starting to become a storyline to watch...

word on the street is that tillman is reaching out to every offensive player in the portal who has a pulse. they already have two guys and will prob get a few more...

Brutal result for Rutgers. I know they got the D3 fogo of the year but man that team is gonna struggle to score next season big time. They lost their top 3 O players and have no one that can replace Scott or Knobloch.

Staudt to Hop makes a ton of sense and where I figured he would land. Hop needed a veteran goalie and there weren't a lot of obvious high end landing places besides Hop and maybe ND. Hop did a good job replacing most of their losses especially on D and at the X. Still worry about that offense though, still no alpha attackmen or dodging threat.

Maryland needs help offensively in the worst way. I think Tillman realizes that with Weirman gone he can't count on a 65% winning day at the X pretty much every game. Maryland has some skilled O players for sure but they struggled mightily at times this past season and relaying on freshmen is always tricky.

Good post. Cuse seems to be caught in a catch 22. They could use some portal help but also have some young guys who have been waiting their turn and a guy in Anderson they likely want to get on the field in some capacity from the word go.

The other issue you pointed out is the potential that the lax staff was given the directive was directed to reduce the roster size. Assuming that is accurate, it's unlikely is bringing in a horde of portal guys again. The twitter saga of a potential high end lax guy bolting also adds another layer to deal with.

At this point unless someone else jumps in or SU hits up D2 or 3, it appears SSDM isn't gonna be addressed via the portal. I don't know what the long term plan is there but I do wonder what SU's plan is there. SU absolutely needs a fresh face or 2 there, gonna have to come up with something.

Offensively there are some intriguing names but seem to have some sort of flaw or blocked path here. Malever and Patterson are both intriguing but hard to see where either fits in right now unless SU is fine with keeping Leo at middie and running Anderson there as well. I find Patterson very intriguing with the 3 years of eligibilty remaining. I wouldn't be overly concerned about his stats form last year, Hobart was a mess for most of the year and Patterson was playing #2 to Datellas.

Hackett and the D3 middie seem like the best fits but again your fighting against UVA, Maryland and probably ND and others so I wouldn't hold my breath on landing either.

Marquis is intriguing but his skillset is already here in Thomson and Deere. If he couldn't get on the field at Hop with their O issues down the stretch how is he gonna get on the field here?

Interesting time for the SU staff. Feels like a big move for an O player while not necessary would really go a long way for next year.

do not believe patterson is an option for the orange. he's down in carolina visiting your pals in durham & chapel hill. an ivy or two could also be an option...

Good post. Cuse seems to be caught in a catch 22. They could use some portal help but also have some young guys who have been waiting their turn and a guy in Anderson they likely want to get on the field in some capacity from the word go.

The other issue you pointed out is the potential that the lax staff was given the directive was directed to reduce the roster size. Assuming that is accurate, it's unlikely is bringing in a horde of portal guys again. The twitter saga of a potential high end lax guy bolting also adds another layer to deal with.

At this point unless someone else jumps in or SU hits up D2 or 3, it appears SSDM isn't gonna be addressed via the portal. I don't know what the long term plan is there but I do wonder what SU's plan is there. SU absolutely needs a fresh face or 2 there, gonna have to come up with something.

Offensively there are some intriguing names but seem to have some sort of flaw or blocked path here. Malever and Patterson are both intriguing but hard to see where either fits in right now unless SU is fine with keeping Leo at middie and running Anderson there as well. I find Patterson very intriguing with the 3 years of eligibilty remaining. I wouldn't be overly concerned about his stats form last year, Hobart was a mess for most of the year and Patterson was playing #2 to Datellas.

Hackett and the D3 middie seem like the best fits but again your fighting against UVA, Maryland and probably ND and others so I wouldn't hold my breath on landing either.

Marquis is intriguing but his skillset is already here in Thomson and Deere. If he couldn't get on the field at Hop with their O issues down the stretch how is he gonna get on the field here?

Interesting time for the SU staff. Feels like a big move for an O player while not necessary would really go a long way for next year.

Good stuff Jeremy. This year sort of reminds me of '21, the year after covid shut things down and SU brought back pretty much everyone except for Nick Mellen. There were a lot more transfer options out there compared to this year, but SU help pretty much pat, taking Mitch Wykoff and Cole Horan on defense, and adding Brett Tenaglia. The following year expectations were obviously super high, and SU definitely did not live up to them. Not saying if the Orange fail to bring in anyone else next year the same will happen, but I think it should be lesson that they should be a little aggressive in trying to add to the roster.

It is tough, though. If they, say, bring in Jack Dowd what happens? You would assume that Leo moves to attack and Dowd goes to the first line (hard to believe he would come to SU to play on the second line). Depth wise that's great, but you have to assume neither Jackson Birtwistle or Luke Rhoa would be thrilled about seeing a spot open up and not getting moved up. Maybe they don't care, but to build a good culture, you probably want to reward players that have produced. To entice good players to come in through the portal, you probably have to offer something more than second line midfield runs. It's a good problem to have, but there are two sides to the coin I guess.

I still think Malever would be a good addition, he'd be a natural fit on the attack line. You would keep Leo on the first line, which would still hold Rhoa and Birtwistle back, but it's a bit more understandable if it's a teammate you've been playing with for two or three years rather than a newbie. Plus I think you'd get a pretty motivated player wanting to prove doubters wrong, and someone with championship experience. That's not easy to find. Plus I like the connections he already has to SU through Banks and Zulberti.

We shall see where all these guys end up, but some of the landing places have surprised me. Patterson getting looks from Duke and UNC is really something, given his relatively low output. Though maybe they see him as a middie? Graham Blake shot the ball well for Harvard, but is he supposed to replace one of the best finishers in school history in Dyson Williams? He had 29 goals (and one assist last year), and 11 of those goals came in the first two games of the year against Providence and Bryant. Duke brings in a ton of transfers, and a good amount who don't end up playing much, but still seems surprising I guess.

Bummer city.

Maybe some of these legions of five stars will start looking for greener pastures?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom