2025 Transfer Thread | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2025 Transfer Thread

Bummer city.

Maybe some of these legions of five stars will start looking for greener pastures?

Damn I really wanted him to come to SU. He's exactly what this offense needs. I wonder if Gait even made an effort for him?

Maryland not messing around. With Ford, Keegan and presumably Daniel Kelly in the mix, that's a good amount of lefties. Curious how they get them all on the field. Wonder if SU was in on him at all, just given his credentials (Long Island kid, Team 91 alum).

time to go get a job if you're daniel kelly

Maryland not messing around. With Ford, Keegan and presumably Daniel Kelly in the mix, that's a good amount of lefties. Curious how they get them all on the field. Wonder if SU was in on him at all, just given his credentials (Long Island kid, Team 91 alum).

Makes it look like Daniel Kelly isn't coming back.
Johnny Gardiner on the 4th wave of NB All-Americans is also a lefty.

i do not believe the orange were ever seriously in the malever sweepstakes

I don't think so either. Good player but again hard to see the fit for SU next year. Still think SU should look at one of the D3 middies. I don't see them addressing the attack unit.

I don't think so either. Good player but again hard to see the fit for SU next year. Still think SU should look at one of the D3 middies. I don't see them addressing the attack unit.
Dowd seems like someone who would be destined for ND. Dobson clone. Same high school as Parlette.

Dowd seems like someone who would be destined for ND. Dobson clone. Same high school as Parlette.
Dowd isnt an ACC/Big 10 type player. I understand the numbers he put in at Salisbury but he can't dodge. I see him at a mid-major. High Point (hard with no coach right now), St Joes, Drexel, Umass even maybe.

Cam Ryan?

Your guess is as good as mine. Usually it's pretty rare to see a high school close defender make the transition to short stick defensive midfield. Never say never but I have a hard time seeing it.

The current depth chart for shorties looks to be the following:

1st: Carter Rice, Nate LeVine
2nd: Wyatt Hottle, Jake Spallina
? - Max Rosa (sounds like he is moving on), Carter Kempney.

Anyone else they would be a midfielder who didn't play much offense last year and is willing to convert to defense. Or a freshman. That simply just doesn't look like a lot depth (or quality to be frank). Carter Rice is an All American defender, but LeVine looked a bit slow at times and was afraid to body his opponent. Hottle has all the things you look for in an SSDM, he is just so darn small, he's going to give up a goal or two every game. Spallina just looked overmatched for most of the season (again, avoiding contact). Rosa would be nice to have back but I'm not counting on it. Kempney lost his slot in a rotation early in the season.

Perhaps one or two of these guys takes a leap next year like Rice did this, but that's an awfully big ask. Unlike past years there were a number of SSDMs in the portal this year, which makes the lack of movement all that more frustrating. I really don't know what the plan is here.

i do not believe the orange were ever seriously in the malever sweepstakes

How he fits into Duke should be interesting. I liked Malever as a running mate for Spallina and Hiltz, but surrounded by what Duke has coming back, it looks a little less impressive.

Attack: Graham Blake, Eric Malever, Andrew McAdory
Midfield: Benn Johnston, Max Sloat, Aidan Blake
Midfield: Jack Pappendick, Luke Warrington (fr), Ian Dykes (fr)

Their midfield should be strong, but overall that's a pretty underwhelming lineup from Duke. They also have #16 ranked freshman Liam Kershis and #29 Austin Hicks, so perhaps one of them allows McAdory to play midfield again. Still feels like Duke should be ranked last in the ACC going into next year. Perhaps I am way off.

Me and Brent might be the only ones "concerned" regarding the Orange's lack of portal activity. Axe followed this up with a tweet highlighting Nestor from Salisbury. Should probably just be happy no significant outgoing transfer news has broken (fingers crossed), but sometimes you just want more.

edit - sorry, I was referencing a different tweet. My bad.

Last edited:
Still the only guy that bums me out is Hackler. Hackett would have been a nice piece, but not entirely necessary. If we get at least one depth piece for SSDM I will be happy. Got a nice one at LSM which is the other question mark next season. Not concerned at all.

Me and Brent might be the only ones "concerned" regarding the Orange's lack of portal activity. Axe followed this up with a tweet highlighting Nestor from Salisbury. Should probably just be happy no significant outgoing transfer news has broken (fingers crossed), but sometimes you just want more.

Don't know if concerned is the right word but I do agree it feels like SU may regret not bringing in a few of these guys though its unclear how involved they have have been on a few of them. SU clearly wasn't going to bring in anywhere close to what they did last year from the portal for a variety of reasons but it does feel like the pendulum has swung to far in the other direction. Don't think SU needs a ton, but a SSDM and a middie seem like 2 positions SU really needs to address via the portal.

The team doesnt have a lot of holes and in the problem areas, there are not really any high quality players. Also, you keep displacing young players and it will harm recruiting. 2026 should be a huge recruiting year for Syracuse. There will be lots of scholly money (though that may not matter by then) and NIL freed for that year and it looks like there will be some high level kids in Upstate.

Last edited:

A comment from the peanut gallery (i.e., a Big Fan/nonexpert): I am very happy where we are roster-wise. Of course as fans we always want more. After bringing in needed veterans the last two years (like Cole Kirst, Alex Simmons, Will Mark, Mason Kohn, Jake Stevens, Sammy English, and Christian Mule (I apologize if I left someone out I shouldn't have)) to fill in and support the great freshmen then sophmore class, the core of our team are now going to be juniors. If all Gary brought in for next year is LSM Michael Grace, AND we haven't lost anyone CORE to the team, I think we are doing well. My biggest fear since the season ended was losing one or more starters. Maybe we haven't (fingers still crossed) because Gary told them he wasn't going to bring in anyone who would displace them. This IS the team. For the next two years. Go Orange!!!

programs post-covid hangover, even a successful ones in a department like syracuse, will be dropping roster sizes. there's obviously a lot going on now with nc$$ changes, lawsuits, settlements and more.

part of that may be hitting big roster teams already. if it is, then every guy you bring in is one you have to cut. if you don't have to cut guys already. i don't know whether 'cuse is in that cycle yet. but most everybody will be.

besides dmids i don’t think we need anyone else if all who can stay does stay. Think it’s time to trust the young guys we have. Think we clearly have the talent on all sides just matter of giving some time to find their form or putting them in spots that plays to their strengths. Plus keeps team happy and intactd.

A comment from the peanut gallery (i.e., a Big Fan/nonexpert): I am very happy where we are roster-wise. Of course as fans we always want more. After bringing in needed veterans the last two years (like Cole Kirst, Alex Simmons, Will Mark, Mason Kohn, Jake Stevens, Sammy English, and Christian Mule (I apologize if I left someone out I shouldn't have)) to fill in and support the great freshmen then sophmore class, the core of our team are now going to be juniors. If all Gary brought in for next year is LSM Michael Grace, AND we haven't lost anyone CORE to the team, I think we are doing well. My biggest fear since the season ended was losing one or more starters. Maybe we haven't (fingers still crossed) because Gary told them he wasn't going to bring in anyone who would displace them. This IS the team. For the next two years. Go Orange!!!
Non-expert here as well and I agree.

On defense, I endorse bringing in RIT and a SSDM or two. However, on offense I would prefer for the guys that committed out of high school (and went through some bad years) to get more run than some kid that parachutes in with comparable (or less) talent. I don't know if he wasn't 100% healthy this year, but in 2023 Birtwistle was filthy - electric in the UMD game. Kid deserves more minutes than some random kid that has "upside" from SUNY New Paltz (not sure if they have a team).

I sound like the old man that keeps the neighbor kid's ball that comes over the fence, but I'm still undecided on the transfer portal. It's obviously been great for us but I guess I yearn for the good old days of years ago (like two or three) where if you weren't guaranteed minutes you worked your tail off and did something about it (Sergio Salcido). Your coach and fan base had your back too - they'd recognize that hard work and make sure you earned the minutes and recognition you deserved. You and nobody else.

That being said, CJ Kirst we have a starting attack spot with your name all over it. You want to play attack by yourself? 20 shots a game? Not a deal breaker. Let's talk.

Malever was a top recruit, and it is fair to guess that his not returning opened up a fair amount of scholarship money for Tillman to offer transfers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom