Abrupt change in recruiting... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Abrupt change in recruiting...

No you say listen kid we want you we have wanted you even when we had Dior. But we have been burned by waiting for recruits before. We need to know within a certain timetable or we have to move on. That is all.
“We want you but other kids not committing to us when see fit made us sad. We know you have 2 years until you’ll be in college and are a 5-star recruit but if you don’t commit to us by December we don’t want you”

So here’s the quandary with the fan base with SU from what I have learned from this board ... everyone Wants the most elite players but complain up a storm when they don’t land them and say they should have been recruiting other players and not the top recruits because it ends up being a waste of time.
thennnn if they get the #92 ranked player, the staff shoulda been recruiting better players and didn’t work hard enough to land the big fish And the #92 ranked recruit is worthy enough to be at Syracuse

PLEASE MAKE UP YOUR MIND

So here’s the quandary with the fan base with SU from what I have learned from this board ... everyone Wants the most elite players but complain up a storm when they don’t land them and say they should have been recruiting other players and not the top recruits because it ends up being a waste of time.
thennnn if they get the #92 ranked player, the staff shoulda been recruiting better players and didn’t work hard enough to land the big fish And the #92 ranked recruit is worthy enough to be at Syracuse

PLEASE MAKE UP YOUR MIND

You recruit and offer all the top recruits at the positions you are looking to fill for that certain class. Why are we not recruiting G-Jaden Bradley from Rochester, NY top 10 recruit in the class of 2022 for example. This is what I want. If we lose Dior Johnson who is a top 10 recruit you don't replace him with going after back end of top 100 players if that like Copeland and Lindsay.

We don’t recruit like an elite program.
We never recruited like an elite program.
We have had tremendous recruiting classes but we never as a fanbase expected top 10 recruiting classes every year.
We recruit to a system.
The problem is the talent on the roster has gone down or been bad fits the last several years.

That is the problem. JB can talk and say whatever he wants. He has to be the lead dog on recruiting. He is the HOFer and HC. We can’t expect GMac to punch out of his weight class. He can be the lead recruiter but these kids sign up to play for Jim Boeheim.
Thus Jim Boeheim has to get them to play for us.

We have been mediocre in the regular season 5 years in a row. Sanctions hurt the program no doubt but they are gone. Last year the fanbase was patient and the growing pains were embraced. We need to see legitimate growth this year.

someone must have, because the five new faces coming to su in 2020 & 21 are way better than the 3 guys hop has lined up for uw
We have 1 top 30 recruit for 2021.
Washington has 1 top 75 recruit for 2021.

We have no clue who will be better. Jalen Carey got all the hype. Bryce Goodine got all the hype. Our fanbase should be putting lower expectations on freshman and let them exceed expectations.

Washington has 2 transfers coming in this year. I love how you know they aren’t WAY better than Richmond and Griffin.

Just because you spin doesn’t mean their talent is better.

We have no clue who will be better. Jalen Carey got all the hype. Bryce Goodine got all the hype. Our fanbase should be putting lower expectations on freshman and let them exceed expectations.

Carey and Goodine both could have been successful players here if the coach handled them differently.

It's didn't take us this long to recover from '93. We were in a championship game 3 years later.
Sanctions are why we brought our entire 2017 team back in 2018 started off ranked and were mediocre the entire season.

Oh wait it’s because Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett chose to train off campus and the coaching staff had no chance work with them.

The excuses are just weak now.
5 straight mediocre regular seasons we need to set expectations low and be happy when they are exceeded.

One year you don’t get to play in the rotation if you can’t defend, the next year it’s you can’t play if you can’t shoot.

But our talent being brought is superior to Mike Hopkins and Washington they say so.

Recruiting needs to produce.

It's didn't take us this long to recover from '93. We were in a championship game 3 years later.
nor were the penalties the same
Carey and Goodine both could have been successful players here if the coach handled them differently.
you are of course free to believe whatever you want, but that is a mere assertion & an unprovable one at that

Find a new slant

Players don't become solid and confident if you don't play them more than a couple minutes at a time. Didn't Buddy start out something like 1 for his first 22 from three as a freshman?

I don't think Carey and Goodine together had 22 attempts from 3 all last season.

Here is a question for everyone. Do you think that Football money and the move to the ACC has had a negative impact on recruitment? I know that it is a great conference, but did we lose some of our identity? Just curious what people think.

I have been bellyaching about our recruiting downward spiral for sometime. I think I even got banned for it at one time...lol

My take (yes, I've repeated it over and over)... It started with preparation for the 2016 OLyMPICS. JB took Hop (#1 recruiter at the time) away from the program. Their absence left GMAC ?? in charge. Bryan antoine (NOVA) and Scottie Lewis (UF) were a couple underclassmen top 20 recruits out of NJ. During the Olympic summer they visited Colgate. Yes, COLGATE!!! That's the kind of "sleeping at the wheel" recruiting that was going on in the Boss and Hop's absence. We are not Duke. Our rep was not going to get us top 10 recruits like Duke. Those kids should have been invited regardless of their interest.

Other recruits were obviously not identified or recruited to the level required to get the signatures of top players in that era. JB was not "killing it"" on the recruiting trail. Then...of course, Hop left and our recruiting just continued the downward spiral. Except for the current and most recent years, we're not bringing in the talent level required to consistently compete in the upper level of the ACC.
I also will acknowledge, that JB may be hesitant to bend rules like in the past due to getting hit by the NCAA 2X. .
I too think the second olympic run hurt the program. Great for JB and Hop, not so great for the program. I never bought the rationale that it would help recruiting by just being there.

You recruit and offer all the top recruits at the positions you are looking to fill for that certain class. Why are we not recruiting G-Jaden Bradley from Rochester, NY top 10 recruit in the class of 2022 for example. This is what I want. If we lose Dior Johnson who is a top 10 recruit you don't replace him with going after back end of top 100 players if that like Copeland and Lindsay.
Ah I forgot that we have every top 10 kid lining up to come here and we just choose not to offer them

he was coming here. People that ended up being “right” had no inside info of the scenario. They were speculating so they could say “see I told ya so”. The kid loved the campus. Loved the coaches. But he has some wild stuff happening in his life that he needs to focus on and the staff helped every way they could. He was always priority 1 for staff
I think people were speculating based on surveying the landscape and taking a more rational approach of believe it when I see it over he's coming, he's bringing a bunch of studs with him, and we are winning an NC. Saying he would never come doesn't mean it was an "I told you so" or had info. situation. Nobody said the kid wasn't great or that the staff blew it. Don't always have to be in the know to read the tea leaves.

That fact that we even need have this discussion is crazy. Not going say what I want to say because I will get banned. The youngster on the staff does not have the connections or the personality to take us where we need to go.

Here is a question for everyone. Do you think that Football money and the move to the ACC has had a negative impact on recruitment? I know that it is a great conference, but did we lose some of our identity? Just curious what people think.
The football money saved the athletic department.
We are a midmajor in the Big East without the football money.

We didn’t lose our identity we were good in 2014 with Tyler Ennis and Jeremi Grant and CJ Fair.

First team all-conference talent along with 2NBA draft picks.

In 2016 it’s fair to say the suspension of JB hurt the team as that team won the B4A and had the same formula Michael Gbinije first team all conference and 2 NBA draft picks.

That team showed how good it was.

Our recruiting is why we have become mediocre. We need all conference talent every year. Syracuse should have a first or second team all-ACC player almost every year.

Players don't become solid and confident if you don't play them more than a couple minutes at a time. Didn't Buddy start out something like 1 for his first 22 from three as a freshman?

I don't think Carey and Goodine together had 22 attempts from 3 all last season.
When Frank was hurt in 2018 and Carey got his spot, a real 4 star player would have thrown a lock on it, he didn't play great at all. Then he comes back with the starting spot handed to him in 2019 and he looked worse. Goodine broke his nose which set him back, and he didn't want to compete for minutes with KR, it seems.

When Frank was hurt in 2018 and Carey got his spot, a real 4 star player would have thrown a lock on it, he didn't play great at all. Then he comes back with the starting spot handed to him in 2019 and he looked worse. Goodine broke his nose which set him back, and he didn't want to compete for minutes with KR, it seems.
Jalen Carey played 2 games last year.
2 games.
Against the best defense in the nation.
The entire team sucked against Virginia.
Again the entire team sucked.

Then he played poorly game 2 and you want to use that as support.

Hilarious how you spin the way you do.

The kid has talent. Our staff needs to get the best out of player talent.
If he isn’t good then that is on the staff for targeting him over other players.

Jalen Carey and Brycen Goodine were hyped by our fanbase before their seasons started.

We can’t afforf to miss on 4 star recruits like we have. That is on the people who are in charge of recruiting.

Jalen Carey played 2 games last year.
2 games.
Against the best defense in the nation.
The entire team sucked against Virginia.
Again the entire team sucked.

Then he played poorly game 2 and you want to use that as support.

Hilarious how you spin the way you do.

The kid has talent. Our staff needs to get the best out of player talent.
If he isn’t good then that is on the staff for targeting him over other players.

Jalen Carey and Brycen Goodine were hyped by our fanbase before their seasons started.

We can’t afforf to miss on 4 star recruits like we have. That is on the people who are in charge of recruiting.
I thought Carey was injured. The reason the team sucked against UVA is because Carey played abysmal at point. SU beat them the second time at UVA, without Carey. Goodine couldn't even beat out HoWa for minutes. They were both 4 star misses, it happens.

If Carey/Goodine performed well in practice, they would have played. To think they were stellar in practice and JB just flat out refused to play them in games in silly. JB even made a comment in FEBRUARY last year that Brycen was finally practicing better. 2 weeks before the season ended.

will they be good players at PC and URI? Certainly possible. But how often had a kid transfer out and he was fantastic at his new school?

Early on when Kadary sees more PT than those 2 ever did, maybe people will realize that the staff sees these guys play way more than we do

If Carey/Goodine performed well in practice, they would have played. To think they were stellar in practice and JB just flat out refused to play them in games in silly. JB even made a comment in FEBRUARY last year that Brycen was finally practicing better. 2 weeks before the season ended.

will they be good players at PC and URI? Certainly possible. But how often had a kid transfer out and he was fantastic at his new school?

Early on when Kadary sees more PT than those 2 ever did, maybe people will realize that the staff sees these guys play way more than we do
Neither of those guys think they can take Kadary, that's the bottom line. Good luck to them at their new schools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom