ACC Meetings ... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Meetings ...

I posted step by step as the process was unfolding. It was ours every step of the way until Warner decided to speak with UVa and make some threats.
Interesting. I heard it blew up when we asked the ACC to bring the rest of the BE with us.

lmao-crying-laughing.gif

Yeah, that's not how it went down either.
There was still great emphasis put on "markets" back then (and later--see Rutgers to the B1G). Boston's was certainly preferable to Syracuse's. But BC had pledged--along with SU, Pitt, etc.--to hang together and make the BE work. Their backstabbing earned them the title "Fredo".

The goal for the program right now is to reset the floor in conference. Too many 2-6 years, need to find a way to lock in two more wins.

Dino has at least one win against everyone he’s played in conference except Miami. Since Dino took over Clemson has lost to 8 different teams, one being Syracuse. The only team to beat them twice is Pitt. The only other conference loss was NC St. And SU could be 3-2 against them if they had made a couple more plays in the 2018 and 2021 games, essentially two fourth down conversions by Clemson.

3-3 vs BC, 2-0 vs VT, 1-0 vs GT, 1-1 vs Duke and UNC, 2-4 vs wake. Dino has not been good in the Division and against Pitt, 1-5 against Clemson, FSU, Pitt, Lville, and NCSt. That has to get better

There probably isn’t a team in the conference that will benefit more from dropping divisions.
I would wager that our Chancellor will trade his vote to where the ACC should move to in exchange for divisional blowup.

Thought the news that the football coaches vote on whether to ditch the divisions was a 7-7 tie was interesting. We know Narduzzi desperately wants to keep the division setup, with no changes to the teams in each division. Gotta think most coaches in the Atlantic want to get out of that tough division, and most of the coaches in the Coastal want to leave things like they are now.

Good thing their votes have no weight.

I wasn’t around way back then. I understand it was 3 teams. And Va Tech was a last minute add. So my question is, why did it become BC that followed Miami and Va Tech? How was the third team decided between Syracuse and BC and why was it BC over Syracuse?

Thought the news that the football coaches vote on whether to ditch the divisions was a 7-7 tie was interesting. We know Narduzzi desperately wants to keep the division setup, with no changes to the teams in each division. Gotta think most coaches in the Atlantic want to get out of that tough division, and most of the coaches in the Coastal want to leave things like they are now.

This makes too much sense. The teams in the weak division want to stay there and the teams in the hard division want to re-arrange. Of course the coaches, who’s jobs depend on winning want to stay or leave depending on the division they are in because their jobs depend on it.

Wow. I had no idea. I thought most coaches would be highly in favor of going 3-5-5. I guess a coach's vote should carry little weight, though, since at least some of them probably won't be coaching in the ACC in 3 years. But that's weird

Coastal Chaos.

7 different Coastal champs in 7 years.

Wow. I had no idea. I thought most coaches would be highly in favor of going 3-5-5. I guess a coach's vote should carry little weight, though, since at least some of them probably won't be coaching in the ACC in 3 years. But that's weird
I think every single fan in the ACC is in favor of the 3-5-5. We know what that’s worth. Might be time to storm the castle.

I think every single fan in the ACC is in favor of the 3-5-5. We know what that’s worth. Might be time to storm the castle.
From what I have read, it sounds like the 3-5-5 plan is going to happen if ESPN approves. Where approved means sweetens the pot somewhat.

Sounds like the ACC is willing to give ESPN significant input deciding who the 3 teams each ACC program will be paired with if this results in more revenue.

Don’t think they will commit to the plan until they get feedback from ESPN. If ESPN is willing to pay more, the ACC will let them do what they want. Which should result in more games featuring the big name programs, and less games against big name programs for Syracuse. This would be great for Syracuse.

But most of the games ESPN wants to see are already annual games. ESPN doesn’t need to be nice to the ACC. Not until 2034 or so (if we are lucky).

If ESPN doesn’t come up with more money for the ACC, I think the conference still does a 3-5-5 based schedule, but where the 3 permanent rivals for each school are driven more by history and location and school preference. This is where we probably end up getting stuck with UL as a rival.

I respect Teel and his contact network and in an article in the z Richmond Times a couple of days ago, he had UL as SU’s third rival. The Athletic article by Fortuna and Staples had our third rival as FSU. Sounded like they wanted us in part to get more exposure/retain exposure in the Northeast and in part to get an easy win on the schedule ESC he tear to help balance annual games against Clemson and Miami.

Miami would be our ideal third permanent rival. I think Georgia Tech would be my second choice, followed by FSU and UVa.

This will be a big test of John Wildhack’s ability to bring home a big win for the football program. If he gets us anyone other than UL, I think he has done well.

Please keep in mind how many coaches are meatheads.

They're the last ones I'd ask for a vote on this.

Ultimately Syracuse/BC/Pitt joining the ACC will be looked at as short sighted on a 50 year horizon. It put a few more bucks in our coffers, our basketball has suffered, our football has flatlined essentially, and our geographical connective tissue with our regional rivals has been fractured.

By 2036 who knows what SU Sports will look like. I think we all know this but are afraid to admit it. The move to the ACC was the right move if everything is determined by money. Decisions solely decided by money never work out in the long run.

FWIW, Dabo said in an interview Tuesday that his preference is to keep the divisions.

How would having NE teams other than PSU add eyeballs? Northeasterners are passionate about the NFL, the NBA, MLB, and the NHL - not CFB. Syracuse's main value is in hoops. BC has no value.
There are CFB fans here and anywhere there are large population centers, there will be a portion who follow it. You’re talking to some. But the best way to make that number go down is to not have any teams in the NE play the sport competing for a national championship - in fact that’s probably what’s been happening slowly over the past 30 years.

What have the people in power done to promote parity? To grow the game where it lags?

Alabama got the other D1 school in the sport to drop its program for a bit. Too much “gotta get mine” and not enough people looking out for the whole of the sport. That, in a nutshell is how we, CFB, got here.

From what I have read, it sounds like the 3-5-5 plan is going to happen if ESPN approves. Where approved means sweetens the pot somewhat.

Sounds like the ACC is willing to give ESPN significant input deciding who the 3 teams each ACC program will be paired with if this results in more revenue.

Don’t think they will commit to the plan until they get feedback from ESPN. If ESPN is willing to pay more, the ACC will let them do what they want. Which should result in more games featuring the big name programs, and less games against big name programs for Syracuse. This would be great for Syracuse.

But most of the games ESPN wants to see are already annual games. ESPN doesn’t need to be nice to the ACC. Not until 2034 or so (if we are lucky).

If ESPN doesn’t come up with more money for the ACC, I think the conference still does a 3-5-5 based schedule, but where the 3 permanent rivals for each school are driven more by history and location and school preference. This is where we probably end up getting stuck with UL as a rival.

I respect Teel and his contact network and in an article in the z Richmond Times a couple of days ago, he had UL as SU’s third rival. The Athletic article by Fortuna and Staples had our third rival as FSU. Sounded like they wanted us in part to get more exposure/retain exposure in the Northeast and in part to get an easy win on the schedule ESC he tear to help balance annual games against Clemson and Miami.

Miami would be our ideal third permanent rival. I think Georgia Tech would be my second choice, followed by FSU and UVa.

This will be a big test of John Wildhack’s ability to bring home a big win for the football program. If he gets us anyone other than UL, I think he has done well.

Honestly I think this goes beyond John Wildhack... Kent will be involved also (obviously). I have enormous faith in both. I say this comparing them to others who held their positions since I arrived on campus in 1989.

I wasn’t around way back then. I understand it was 3 teams. And Va Tech was a last minute add. So my question is, why did it become BC that followed Miami and Va Tech? How was the third team decided between Syracuse and BC and why was it BC over Syracuse?
There was no approved ACC deal for Miami, BC, and Cuse. That was what I called then the Miami Plan. That is what Miami wanted to go down, and FSU backed it fully. In fact, Bobby Bowden spoke to the press about it before there was an official vote. But VT was never going to sit still and allow anybody to get into the ACC ahead of it without a fight. So VT pulled every political string it had, which lead to UVA refusing to vote to go to 12 unless VT was voted in as #10. That could happen only because some ACC schools wanted VT in the ACC ahead of BC or Cuse.

VT was added as the 10th ACC member. Immediately after, Miami was voted in as #11. And then there was the delay because schools were split over #12.

Boeheim was on record as being pro-BE, and BC was campaigning hard for the ACC. Tranghese specifically campaigned for Syracuse to stay BE. So the next year, BC became the 12th.

If BC had stayed, the ACC would have then offered Pitt or WVU.

FWIW, Dabo said in an interview Tuesday that his preference is to keep the divisions.
That makes sense to me. If they change things, it’s going to make their schedule harder. They are probably the only program currently in the Atlantic division whose schedule would get tougher.

There was no approved ACC deal for Miami, BC, and Cuse. That was what I called then the Miami Plan. That is what Miami wanted to go down, and FSU backed it fully. In fact, Bobby Bowden spoke to the press about it before there was an official vote. But VT was never going to sit still and allow anybody to get into the ACC ahead of it without a fight. So VT pulled every political string it had, which lead to UVA refusing to vote to go to 12 unless VT was voted in as #10. That could happen only because some ACC schools wanted VT in the ACC ahead of BC or Cuse.

VT was added as the 10th ACC member. Immediately after, Miami was voted in as #11. And then there was the delay because schools were split over #12.

Boeheim was on record as being pro-BE, and BC was campaigning hard for the ACC. Tranghese specifically campaigned for Syracuse to stay BE. So the next year, BC became the 12th.

If BC had stayed, the ACC would have then offered Pitt or WVU.

This isn't all true but that's fine. You're beating a 19 year old horse. Public campus visits and press conferences might've been a bad idea but it was a done deal at that point.

After Mark Warner decided he wanted to go native your school and Duke played the games you play.

What JB said didn't matter to the guys that count the beans at SU.

I would wager that our Chancellor will trade his vote to where the ACC should move to in exchange for divisional blowup.
This for sure...common sense to use a vote card especially since moving to a new city isn't an emotional issue to us compared to the original members.

After the ACC old guard politics got involved...several schools really didn't want us in (UNC and UVA were two of them)...and VTech received the invite after VA Governor Warner got involved...Cuse had cake on their face so we said mea culpa to the Big East and tried to make it work. Yes, Boeheim ran his mouth and old ACC fans cite that but Virginia Tech won on a power play and ACC traditionalists wanting a Piedmont centric league.

BC played both sides against the middle and when 11 teams scuttled an ACC FB Championship they secretly worked to get the 12th slot.

I loved much of what the Big East was all about but if we didn't go to the ACC we'd be UConn in FB right now playing in a Dome with fresh paint but no new roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom