ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

1 million viewers is less than nearly all the late night talk shows draw, except these aren't on at 11 at night; they are during the day frequently on weekends or the holidays, or are prime time games at night.

1 million viewers is less than nearly all the late night talk shows draw, except these aren't on at 11 at night; they are during the day frequently on weekends or the holidays, or are prime time games at night.
The Military Bowl is not competing against night-time talk shows. Neither is ESPN. And definitely not at 2:30 pm ET on Tuesday, Dec. 27.

Many of these bowl ratings are 4-5x what ESPN gets during their morning programming. First Take, for instance, set records with 400,000+ viewers in November. That should give you a glimpse of why they value these bowl games.

And you are right, prime time bowl games do even better.

Bowls mean nothing anymore. Nobody watches. Ratings are awful.
Bowl games are for the local chamber of commerce and tourism board. The media make money from the advertising and the conferences make money from the games. "Nuff said.

OK, that's fair, but when they don't have enough bowl-eligible teams to qualify without choosing teams with 6-6 or even 5-7 records, that's too many bowls. They are supposed to represent a reward for a "successful" season, right?
I agree. While I wouldn't complain about a 6-6 Syracuse team making a bowl, the 6 win (sometimes 5) minimum rewards mediocrity. I would push the minimum up to 7 wins, if that means less bowls, so be it. Yes, it's football but how many people want to watch 6-6 Tulsa play 6-6 Old Dominion in the Myrtle Beach bowl?

I agree. While I wouldn't complain about a 6-6 Syracuse team making a bowl, the 6 win (sometimes 5) minimum rewards mediocrity. I would push the minimum up to 7 wins, if that means less bowls, so be it. Yes, it's football but how many people want to watch 6-6 Tulsa play 6-6 Old Dominion in the Myrtle Beach bowl?

Bowls are an exhibitions, the P5 should abolish the 6 win requirement. Then the alliance can cut off the SEC. Teams get pooled into Bowl levels.

Top 2 non playoff teams (this year Pitt, Wake, Ohio State, Michigan State, Utah, Oregon)
Rose- B1G #1 vs P12 #1
Orange- ACC #1 vs B1G #2
Fiesta- ACC #2 vs P12 #2

Teams 3-6 (WSU, ASU, UCLA, Oregon State, Iowa, Minny, Wiscy, Purdue, NC State, Clemson, Miami, ND)
Citrus- ACC vs B1G
Vegas- B1G vs P12
Pinstripe- ACC vs B1G
Alamo- B1G vs P12
Holliday- ACC vs P12
LA- ACC vs P12

Teams 7-10 (VA Tech, Louisville, FSU, UVA, PSU, Illinois, RU, Nebraska, Cal, USC, Washington, Colorado)
San Fran- B1G vs P12
Mayo- ACC vs B1G
CheezIt- ACC vs P12
Quicklane- B1G vs P12
Fenway- ACC vs B1G
Sun- ACC vs P12

Teams Remaining (UNC, SU, GA Tech, BC, Duke, Northwestern, Indiana, Stanford, Arizona)
Independence
New Orleans
Gasparilla
First Responder
Military

The Military Bowl is not competing against night-time talk shows. Neither is ESPN. And definitely not at 2:30 pm ET on Tuesday, Dec. 27.

Many of these bowl ratings are 4-5x what ESPN gets during their morning programming. First Take, for instance, set records with 400,000+ viewers in November. That should give you a glimpse of why they value these bowl games.

And you are right, prime time bowl games do even better.

That's terrific!

Participation trophies for everyone!

at this point every p 5 team and possibly g 5 should be bowling regardless of record

People in Tulsa and Norfolk

I’m beginning not to care. The more they take care of themselves without caring about the sport as a whole, the more it will suffer.
It's not just the SEC. The BT started that mad rush by controlling the one TV deal for all of D1 football. It did so to the advantage of the BT - surprise, surprise. Then ND did so by getting its own deal. The SEC was late to the game of whoring big time. But it is now the most successful because it produces the best product, hands down.

It's not just the SEC. The BT started that mad rush by controlling the one TV deal for all of D1 football. It did so to the advantage of the BT - surprise, surprise. Then ND did so by getting its own deal. The SEC was late to the game of whoring big time. But it is now the most successful because it produces the best product, hands down.
That is the reason I believe that everyone in the ACC should play an early season game every year against an SEC opponent.
Preseason every year the SEC gets 7 or 8 teams in the top 25.
Then even if a team is bad they get credit for beating a top 25 team.
The loser doesn't drop much because they
lost to a top 25 team. It would help the ACC in perception if they started to win these games.
It would also help the ACC in recruiting, every team in the ACC could say we are playing whatever the SEC team is this year.
"To be the best you have to beat the best". Ric Flair.

guessing when the acc number comes out we will be between 35 and 40

That is the reason I believe that everyone in the ACC should play an early season game every year against an SEC opponent.
lost to a top 25 team. It would help the ACC in perception if they started to win these games.
It would also help the ACC in recruiting, every team in the ACC could say we are playing whatever the SEC team is this year.
We've got 2025 covered.

SU vs Tennessee at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.
I'll be there!!

We aren't even playing the same sport haha
If you listened to Sankeys comments last summer after the Sooners/Longhorns poaching, the SEC is just getting started.

I agree with the premise. But SEC teams have a long history of preferring weak OOC schedules, while asserting that it all balances because SEC league play is so difficult. So I think the only way to pull off anything like that would be ESPN strong arming the SEC.

Think it would be funny if the SEC started paying players and then some giant company or big player (like Premiere league with bizzillionaires) bought up a team or league and played kingmaker. The door they want to open is a tad pandora-ish

I agree with the premise. But SEC teams have a long history of preferring weak OOC schedules, while asserting that it all balances because SEC league play is so difficult. So I think the only way to pull off anything like that would be ESPN strong arming the SEC.
It would be to ESPN's benefit to make it happen. Made for tv games that they have rights to, add in Notre Dame, every other year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom