ACC to Boeheim | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC to Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can see things for what they are without sacrificing our fan cards. JB was out of line with his comments. Yes he retracted them and apologized but there was never a good reason for any of it. The ACC comments are a lot stronger than the 10 minute conversation that was referenced between JW and JB. That, while probably far more stern than how it was casually referenced, comes off pretty weak vs the ACC statements.
I guess Jordan Cornette won’t be an analyst for any more games this year.

Absurd. Had Coach K said the exact same thing, word for word, the ACC would have given him a medal.
Dont be stupid he never went crazy and broke a code you can't break to the press.

Boeheim said one of the worst things he could possibly say for no reason after beating BC. Its on him.

This has to be the last year regardless so whatever. No reason to roast JB excessively he'll probably do color on ESPNs top broadcast next year.

Dont be stupid he never went crazy and broke a code you can't break to the press.

Boeheim said one of the worst things he could possibly say for no reason after beating BC. Its on him.

This has to be the last year regardless so whatever. No reason to roast JB excessively he'll probably do color on ESPNs top broadcast next year.
Which part was that?

So if the ACC doesn't send this does the school say anything to him about the it's my decision line?

I guess Jordan Cornette won’t be an analyst for any more games this year.

I'm usually working while watching so don't catch much of the crew most nights.

Not sure why simply agreeing his comments were out of line and the response being casual vs what the ACC said ruffles so many feathers. Seems even a post like mine ruffles more feathers than anything JB ever says. Not like I'm insulting him or my Alma mater ffs.

I'll just leave with this - an EVP where I work that I know personally with 25 yrs of experience in a critical role publicly called out some of our customers and a competitor in an article in an industry journal last year. It was in poor taste and awful timing. He was wrong and it was dumb. He lost his job over it. I know his family well- he's a good person. It was a dumb and dishonest comment and not a good look for the company or him. I felt that response was too extreme. Some of you are feeling that the ACC just saying something more stern, as the conference those other schools play in is too much. They didn't get him fired they were just comments.

On a more important note- we have 6 games left and the ACCT- let's go win them all and have the narrative around JB and the program shift back to being who no one wants to play in March.

Last edited:
You guys are weird
Spider-Man Reaction GIF

Normal people don't spend lots of time on sports message boards... embrace it.

Years ago Geno Auriemma said he would say controversial things to take pressure off his team and put the negative spotlight on him. I assumed for years that JB was similar. But now it’s clear he’s just a thin skinned old man who can’t take change.

I don’t really follow women’s basketball. Could someone clarify what’s happened there that the ACC was also addressing in the statement?

Years ago Geno Auriemma said he would say controversial things to take pressure off his team and put the negative spotlight on him. I assumed for years that JB was similar. But now it’s clear he’s just a thin skinned old man who can’t take change.

That's the genius of his strategy!
Now everyone is fooled.
;)

Somewhere the Administration needs to step up and tell JB he can't embarass the school anymore.
He needs to step down at the end of this year, and the school needs to find another coach.
The Duke game will have the national press here.
They should not let JB do a press conference after that game.
It could end up very bad.

1. Let’s drop the “bullying “ reference. As someone who has seen the effects of bullying first hand it is offensive to paint telling a reporter they have a bad attitude as bullying. If you want to call it condescending or disrespectful, that’s fine but that is far from bullying.

2. What would the ACC say if Nijel Pack had transferred from Wake Forest to Miami? Boeheim should not have called out other programs like he did, but it seems like priorities are misplaced when the conference tries to clamp down on saying things that don’t conform with their version of sportsmanship while ignoring the blatant tampering with other programs players that one its institutions has become the poster boy for.
3. Boeheim felt he was having a walk and talk conversation with Thamel, not an interview. With his experience he should have known better. Thamel was doing his job by being a journalist, but part of that job is building relationships. I don’t imagine he will be getting many candid comments from coaches going forward

The university is running in fear of him? What?

The fact he’s been allowed to go on probation twice, lose 100+ wins, be bad to mediocre at his job for most of the last 9 years, oversee a precipitous attendance decline, routinely embarrasses the University and himself with asinine comments…and somehow keep his job to the point where he believes he can’t be fired.

All signs point to the University being terrified of him.

1. Let’s drop the “bullying “ reference. As someone who has seen the effects of bullying first hand it is offensive to paint telling a reporter they have a bad attitude as bullying. If you want to call it condescending or disrespectful, that’s fine but that is far from bullying.

2. What would the ACC say if Nijel Pack had transferred from Wake Forest to Miami? Boeheim should not have called out other programs like he did, but it seems like priorities are misplaced when the conference tries to clamp down on saying things that don’t conform with their version of sportsmanship while ignoring the blatant tampering with other programs players that one its institutions has become the poster boy for.
3. Boeheim felt he was having a walk and talk conversation with Thamel, not an interview. With his experience he should have known better. Thamel was doing his job by being a journalist, but part of that job is building relationships. I don’t imagine he will be getting many candid comments from coaches going forward

I want to in no way present this as criticism, but I do think that there is too much bias in your take which, I would expect on our own fan message board.

I think it's fair to point at Thamel but honestly if Jim is comfortable having these sidebars with reporters and it's not cleared through the university that itself is an issue. I mean I work for a company with over 4 trillion in assets( just a reference as i know many others work for big firms) and every executive is supposed to get any press comments or interviews vetted or go through our communications team. There is a process even with trust. Sometimes, as per my example, people don't follow even an approved script.

I think too much is being made of folks who are agreeing with the criticism of how he handled it and the pushback received. At the end of the day it was Jim who made the comments not the league. I don't see where criticism or league comments are unfair. I also totally get orange glasses slanted approach too which I no longer share after being in that camp up to the last couple years.

These are frustrating times and those with existing emotional investments manifest their views in different ways and from different perspectives. Until we look like the Syracuse we know, we will be here. Today it's the JB debate... in xx years it will be the who we hired debate... let's just hope we arguing over how to go from top 25 to top 10 instead of maybe NIT to NCAAs

Last edited:

Why grasp at all these straws? Is it that difficult to just say he’s been inappropriate and leave it at that? He’s a grown adult. He doesn’t need to be treated like a misbehaving teenager that has their parents making up excuses for him.

Imagine if parents were in a principal’s office saying “yes, I’ll concede my son was disrespectful and condescending to try and intimidate the younger student but I’m offended you’re saying he was bullying.”

Conference commissioners will 10/10 address a coach making public, and according to JB, baseless accusations of major NCAA violations against another member school. Even Sankey had words for Saban and Jimbo. Why bring up some hypothetical made up situation to try and deflect?

Third one is biggest reach of them all. If we have to worry that when JB speaks to reporters on record that they may actually report his quotes then he probably shouldn’t be in the job.

Why grasp at all these straws? Is it that difficult to just say he’s been inappropriate and leave it at that? He’s a grown adult. He doesn’t need to be treated like a misbehaving teenager that has their parents making up excuses for him.

Imagine if parents were in a principal’s office saying “yes, I’ll concede my son was disrespectful and condescending to try and intimidate the younger student but I’m offended you’re saying he was bullying.”

Conference commissioners will 10/10 address a coach making public, and according to JB, baseless accusations of major NCAA violations against another member school. Even Sankey had words for Saban and Jimbo. Why bring up some hypothetical made up situation to try and deflect?

Third one is biggest reach of them all. If we have to worry that when JB speaks to reporters on record that they may actually report his quotes then he probably shouldn’t be in the job.
Sorry to have an opinion on this whole mess. And I admit it. I am extremely biased. You would be hard pressed to find someone who is more so.

There is no question that the person at fault here is Boeheim. He was out of line with some of what he said and should have been more civil. That being said:

I find the term bullying to be unnecessary hyperbole in this case having had some personal experience with true bullying and it’s effects.

I find the ACC to be somewhat hypocritical when it says nothing about one of it’s programs that clearly tampered with and poached another school’s players.

I think it’s a bit odd that Thamel sat in a press conference where he could have asked anything and waited to ask those questions in a more casual, unguarded environment. I suppose that can be seen as good journalism but I wonder what it does to his relationship not only with Boeheim, but with other coaches who find themselves in that situation

The fact he’s been allowed to go on probation twice, lose 100+ wins, be bad to mediocre at his job for most of the last 9 years, oversee a precipitous attendance decline, routinely embarrasses the University and himself with asinine comments…and somehow keep his job to the point where he believes he can’t be fired.

All signs point to the University being terrified of him.

That’s not how being terrified works, but sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors