ACC to Boeheim | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC to Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think boeheim cares about the acc he is going to say what he wants and there isn’t anything they can do about it

I don’t think boeheim cares about the acc he is going to say what he wants and there isn’t anything they can do about it
Some doctoral psychology student is going to have a ball doing a study onBoeheim’s psyche. Small town son of a funeral director, had to walk on into a starting role. Was on the verge of being bypassed for his first head coaching job until he threatened to leave. Disrespected until 1987 as a coach who couldn’t win the big one. Had a 20 year period at the pinnacle of his position and reverted at the end of his career with a defense mechanism to attack those who question his coaching acumen.

Will be a fascinating read. But more than a painful rollercoaster to live through!

I'm usually working while watching so don't catch much of the crew most nights.

Not sure why simply agreeing his comments were out of line and the response being casual vs what the ACC said ruffles so many feathers. Seems even a post like mine ruffles more feathers than anything JB ever says. Not like I'm insulting him or my Alma mater ffs.

I'll just leave with this - an EVP where I work that I know personally with 25 yrs of experience in a critical role publicly called out some of our customers and a competitor in an article in an industry journal last year. It was in poor taste and awful timing. He was wrong and it was dumb. He lost his job over it. I know his family well- he's a good person. It was a dumb and dishonest comment and not a good look for the company or him. I felt that response was too extreme. Some of you are feeling that the ACC just saying something more stern, as the conference those other schools play in is too much. They didn't get him fired they were just comments.

On a more important note- we have 6 games left and the ACCT- let's go win them all and have the narrative around JB and the program shift back to being who no one wants to play in March.
I wasn’t talking about you, I was talking about Jordan Cornette.

Cornette doesn’t own an SU fan card and he doesn’t wear orange-colored glasses, yet somehow - in his capacity as an analyst for the ACC Network - he offered a rational defense of Boeheim’s comments. So I can only assume he’ll be reprimanded for defying his overlords in North Carolina.

I wasn’t talking about you, I was talking about Jordan Cornette.

Cornette doesn’t own an SU fan card and he doesn’t wear orange-colored glasses, yet somehow - in his capacity as an analyst for the ACC Network - he offered a rational defense of Boeheim’s comments. So I can only assume he’ll be reprimanded for defying his overlords in North Carolina.

What you are implying is not at all what I have said.

It's like I said- I don't get why such an opinion as mine ruffles feathers. I've already said I get both views I just don't agree/share the overtly pro JB view in this case and see some of it as SU bias from this community. That wasn't to say there would or wouldn't be folks like Cornette.

Last edited:
Sorry to have an opinion on this whole mess. And I admit it. I am extremely biased. You would be hard pressed to find someone who is more so.

There is no question that the person at fault here is Boeheim. He was out of line with some of what he said and should have been more civil. That being said:

I find the term bullying to be unnecessary hyperbole in this case having had some personal experience with true bullying and it’s effects.

I find the ACC to be somewhat hypocritical when it says nothing about one of it’s programs that clearly tampered with and poached another school’s players.

I think it’s a bit odd that Thamel sat in a press conference where he could have asked anything and waited to ask those questions in a more casual, unguarded environment. I suppose that can be seen as good journalism but I wonder what it does to his relationship not only with Boeheim, but with other coaches who find themselves in that situation

Nobody is asking you not have an opinion, or not to post your opinions. You did, and Horn88 disagreed with it. Respectfully and thoughtfully, imo.

I disagree that to call what happened bullying is hyperbole. According to dictionary.com, bullying is seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable). J-Bone was definitely trying to intimidate, and you can't deny the power differential between a HOF coach and a student journalist.

As for Thamel. For the sake of argument, let's assume the worst of his intentions and that he was trying to bait JB into lowering his guard and ambush him in a more unguarded environment. Well, if JB hasn't learned how to exercise due caution around reporters after 47 years, at this point I'm not sure he's going to. I think a simpler explanation is that JB simply thinks he can say whatever he wants so he doesn't really worry about speaking to Thamel in any environment. To that end, I'd imagine he's like LTC Jessup in A Few Good Men, he wants to tell everyone he ordered the Code Red, he just needs to be asked.

What you are implying is not at all what I have said.

It's like I said- I don't get why such an opinion as mine ruffles feathers. I've already said I get both views I just don't agree/share the overtly pro JB view in this case and see some of it as SU bias from this community. That wasn't to say there would or wouldn't be folks like Cornette.
Look around. You’re in the majority. Do you really need everyone to agree with you?

If you get both views, why the passive-aggressive and condescending comments?

Look around. You’re in the majority. Do you really need everyone to agree with you?

If you get both views, why the passive-aggressive and condescending comments?

What in any case is passive aggressive/condescending? It's just been responding while making it clear there is absolutely nothing derogatory. I think you are trying to read something into my responses that simply isn't there. Hell, I even added a caveat to make sure it was clear there was nothing of the sort.

I could care less who agrees or disagrees either as we are all here for the same reasons at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Some doctoral psychology student is going to have a ball doing a study onBoeheim’s psyche. Small town son of a funeral director, had to walk on into a starting role. Was on the verge of being bypassed for his first head coaching job until he threatened to leave. Disrespected until 1987 as a coach who couldn’t win the big one. Had a 20 year period at the pinnacle of his position and reverted at the end of his career with a defense mechanism to attack those who question his coaching acumen.

Will be a fascinating read. But more than a painful rollercoaster to live through!
Might make for a good movie! The story needs a climactic ending though - we’ll see if J-bone can deliver on that front.

And who would play older J-bone? Gene Hackman? Bill Murray? Larry David?

Last edited:
What in any case is passive aggressive/condescending? It's just been responding while making it clear there is absolutely nothing derogatory. I think you are trying to read something into my responses that simply isn't there. Hell, I even added a caveat to make sure it was clear there was nothing of the sort.
They’re your words. If I defend Boeheim, it’s because I’m biased and afraid of losing my fan card. And if I disagree with you, it means my feathers are ruffled.

How about we just disagree without over-analyzing or taking offense?

Nobody is asking you not have an opinion, or not to post your opinions. You did, and Horn88 disagreed with it. Respectfully and thoughtfully, imo.

I disagree that to call what happened bullying is hyperbole. According to dictionary.com, bullying is seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable). J-Bone was definitely trying to intimidate, and you can't deny the power differential between a HOF coach and a student journalist.

As for Thamel. For the sake of argument, let's assume the worst of his intentions and that he was trying to bait JB into lowering his guard and ambush him in a more unguarded environment. Well, if JB hasn't learned how to exercise due caution around reporters after 47 years, at this point I'm not sure he's going to. I think a simpler explanation is that JB simply thinks he can say whatever he wants so he doesn't really worry about speaking to Thamel in any environment. To that end, I'd imagine he's like LTC Jessup in A Few Good Men, he wants to tell everyone he ordered the Code Red, he just needs to be asked.
What’s the Code Red in this scenario?

The issue of when and how Jim Boeheim's tenure should end is a complex one. It's unfortunate that some people view every defeat or every controversial comment as a fireable offense just because they want to be rid of him.

They’re your words. If I defend Boeheim, it’s because I’m biased and afraid of losing my fan card. And if I disagree with you, it means my feathers are ruffled.

How about we just disagree without over-analyzing or taking offense?

Not gonna litigate this further. What I said was not written as how you are taking it. How you positioned it above is your doing. No offense taken or projected.

That said if it's bothering folks- I'll head out for a couple weeks and lurk. Never the intent( not a passive aggressive statement even if it sounds.it).

The issue of when and how Jim Boeheim's tenure should end is a complex one. It's unfortunate that some people view every defeat or every controversial comment as a fireable offense just because they want to be rid of him.

It’s possible though that they represent increasing data points in a growing body of evidence.

It’s possible though that they represent increasing data points in a growing body of evidence.
Should the losses to Miami, UNC, and UVA (second time) be among the data points, though?

Should the losses to Miami, UNC, and UVA (second time) be among the data points, though?

Taken in aggregate with the bad losses earlier in the year in addition to the years of mediocrity that proceeded them, I mean I think so.

We can’t beat anything approaching a good team and are on our way to consecutive seasons without a tourney berth, the fifth in nine years. Seems to be a pretty big issue.

Taken in aggregate with the bad losses earlier in the year in addition to the years of mediocrity that proceeded them, I mean I think so.

We can’t beat anything approaching a good team and are on our way to consecutive seasons without a tourney berth, the fifth in nine years. Seems to be a pretty big issue.
So anything less than an undefeated record in conference play is a fireable offense? If that’s not the line, where is it? Win one of the three games I mentioned? Two?

Technically, there have only been eight tournaments in the last nine years, so we would be missing a fourth, not a fifth.

So anything less than an undefeated record in conference play is a fireable offense? If that’s not the line, where is it? Win one of the three games I mentioned? Two?

So me saying that those three losses should be among the data points means that I think undefeated season or gt fo. Fair enough. I was writing to SUAD every day after we lost @ Notre
Dame back in 2012 calling for Boeheims head.

Technically, there have only been eight tournaments in the last nine years, so we would be missing a fourth, not a fifth.

Technically, but we weren’t gonna be selected Covid or not so it’s academic.

If there are people here who “view every defeat or every controversial comment as a fireable offense just because they want to be rid of him…”. Why would that be I wonder. Like what could have precipated such animosity. Guess we will never know.

So me saying that those three losses should be among the data points means that I think undefeated season or gt fo. Fair enough. I was writing to SUAD every day after we lost @ Notre
Dame back in 2012 calling for Boeheims head.

Technically, but we weren’t gonna be selected Covid or not so it’s academic.
I clearly stated that if that’s not the line, then define where it is.

It’s not academic. We won our last game that season. More importantly, the tournament didn’t exist. You can’t penalize someone over something that didn’t happen. How many MLB managers were fired or even criticized for not making the playoffs in 1994?

I clearly stated that if that’s not the line, then define where it is.

It’s not academic. We won our last game that season. More importantly, the tournament didn’t exist. You can’t penalize someone over something that didn’t happen. How many MLB managers were fired or even criticized for not making the playoffs in 1994?

I don’t really know what you want from me. You asked me if they should be counted, I said yes. If you want me to say what the line is, the answer is I don’t know. All I know is In this universe we lost all three of those games and have yet to beat anyone better than…Cornell? Va tech? With a couple of bad losses thrown in.

First part is probably true. Last part isn’t true.

I don’t really know what you want from me. You asked me if they should be counted, I said yes. If you want me to say what the line is, the answer is I don’t know. All I know is In this universe we lost all three of those games and have yet to beat anyone better than…Cornell? Va tech? With a couple of bad losses thrown in.
Sounds like SWC was spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors