ACC to Boeheim | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC to Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
So anything less than an undefeated record in conference play is a fireable offense? If that’s not the line, where is it? Win one of the three games I mentioned? Two?

Technically, there have only been eight tournaments in the last nine years, so we would be missing a fourth, not a fifth.
If we miss the tournament again he 100% should be gone, but he won’t be. We are past the time when he should have left.

In the words of Dirty Harry Callahan
"A man has got to know his limitations."

Nobody is asking you not have an opinion, or not to post your opinions. You did, and Horn88 disagreed with it. Respectfully and thoughtfully, imo.

I disagree that to call what happened bullying is hyperbole. According to dictionary.com, bullying is seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable). J-Bone was definitely trying to intimidate, and you can't deny the power differential between a HOF coach and a student journalist.

As for Thamel. For the sake of argument, let's assume the worst of his intentions and that he was trying to bait JB into lowering his guard and ambush him in a more unguarded environment. Well, if JB hasn't learned how to exercise due caution around reporters after 47 years, at this point I'm not sure he's going to. I think a simpler explanation is that JB simply thinks he can say whatever he wants so he doesn't really worry about speaking to Thamel in any environment. To that end, I'd imagine he's like LTC Jessup in A Few Good Men, he wants to tell everyone he ordered the Code Red, he just needs to be asked.
My bad. I tend to have a bit of an emotional response when I see the word bullying used flippantly due to some personal experience. There are certainly varying levels and I should accept that.

Also, several games where he basically doesn’t even coach.
I would say that hasn’t happened since Richmond/SJU. What would you say?

He has several embarrassing controversial comments a year.
Aside from what JB retracted, which comments from the Thamel interview did you find embarrassing and/or controversial?

I would say that hasn’t happened since Richmond/SJU. What would you say?
Maybe? I’ll be honest - these games are out of sight out of mind once they’re over, these days.

Nobody at SU seems to care if we win or not, so I guess I don’t care enough to get invested and remember them as much.

Might make for a good movie! The story needs a climactic ending though - we’ll see if J-bone can deliver on that front.

And who would play older J-bone? Gene Hackman? Bill Murray? Larry David?
Great question. I'm going with James Cromwell:

OIP.jyzP1_HQC74wxqg0D_5AOAHaJM

JB used to always be the guy that says “I worry about my team and that’s it”. Now he complains about his team about how they never do what he asks or expects. Talks about the other teams. Talks about the other coaches. I truly don’t know what goes through his mind these days

JB used to always be the guy that says “I worry about my team and that’s it”. Now he complains about his team about how they never do what he asks or expects. Talks about the other teams. Talks about the other coaches. I truly don’t know what goes through his mind these days
It’s way past time to go and it’s sad he doesn’t see it.

Aside from what JB retracted, which comments from the Thamel interview did you find embarrassing and/or controversial?
Just like his comments calling out players by name, his comments about other programs should never have happened.
And yes, IMHO, those comments were embarrassing and uncalled-for especially for a HC who's on the record for violations of his own. Sometimes prudence is about what NOT to say, rather than shooting off at the mouth because you lack decorum or self-control. How bout worrying about your own program, instead of flapping gums about anyone else's.
Look, you wanna argue the merit or severity of what happened, fine. But the incident as a whole cannot be parsed to a " before and after" mode. It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, and "retractions" or otherwise, is akin to closing the barn door way after the horse is gone. Jmho

Participation trophies! Now that's the Syracuse basketball I know and love
That’s a pitch perfect response if your goal is to elicit a bunch of likes. Doesn’t really advance the discussion, though, does it?

I was always under the impression that how you play factors into the equation, not just whether you win or lose. It’s not like we lost those games by 20 points. Those games weren’t even like the loss to Pitt.

Folks like you are quick to point out our floor (we absolutely could have lost to ND twice and Louisville), yet you refuse to acknowledge our ceiling. Why is that?

That’s a pitch perfect response if your goal is to elicit a bunch of likes. Doesn’t really advance the discussion, though, does it?

I was always under the impression that how you play factors into the equation, not just whether you win or lose. It’s not like we lost those games by 20 points. Those games weren’t even like the loss to Pitt.

Folks like you are quick to point out our floor (we absolutely could have lost to ND twice and Louisville), yet you refuse to acknowledge our ceiling. Why is that?
Our ceiling to this point has been choking away games down the stretch against a couple good teams, and beating bad teams.

Hopefully we change that and win out. The best teams left on the schedule are just “pretty good” teams and they’re home.

Just like his comments calling out players by name, his comments about other programs should never have happened.
And yes, IMHO, those comments were embarrassing and uncalled-for especially for a HC who's on the record for violations of his own. Sometimes prudence is about what NOT to say, rather than shooting off at the mouth because you lack decorum or self-control. How bout worrying about your own program, instead of flapping gums about anyone else's.
Look, you wanna argue the merit or severity of what happened, fine. But the incident as a whole cannot be parsed to a " before and after" mode. It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, and "retractions" or otherwise, is akin to closing the barn door way after the horse is gone. Jmho
So nothing other than what was retracted?

His retraction is meaningless. He said what he believes.
Same follow-up: Nothing else he said was embarrassing and/or controversial?

This is Syracuse basketball. The goal is to win. I'm sorry you don't have more respect for our program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom