Anyone just see the VT entrance? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone just see the VT entrance?

Well, then the players are going alienate a good portion of the crowd that roots for them. And when the crowd goes, guess what...not much reason to have players.

Remember all the kvetching with regard to the uniforms when the players were granted input on them...how's that working out?
They're going to alienate the crowd is the funniest thing I've ever heard. Because of the song that plays when the players walk out? No one complained when they came out to Jeezy back in 2008.

How are the uniforms working out? The players play in them every week and like them and like 10 fans on this board complain. What's the point?

They're going to alienate the crowd is the funniest thing I've ever heard. Because of the song that plays when the players walk out? No one complained when they came out to Jeezy back in 2008.

How are the uniforms working out? The players play in them every week and like them and like 10 fans on this board complain. What's the point?

And they haven't done that since have they...just like the DJ in the student section...gone. I am thinking that some complained as they haven't played any classic Jeezy since have they?

I have no idea who Jeezy is and I would bet that about 80% of the crowd in the Dome doesn't either. People go to the game for the experience and music that comes over the speakers are part of that experience. If they continually play music that folks don't know or like, it may turn folks off is all I am saying. What do you think the demographic of an SU crowd is, I am just curious? Are they all millenials and 20 somethings paying for those high end boxes, giving donations and paying for premium seats or are those older folks that by chance know who Jeezy is?

Yep, just 10 people on the board complain...didn't Babers hint that maybe new uniforms might be coming soon...must be because the kids like them that they are gonna change them again.

I personally don't mind them and think they are pretty cool, but most folks hate them.

And they haven't done that since have they...just like the DJ in the student section...gone. I am thinking that some complained as they haven't played any classic Jeezy since have they?

I have no idea who Jeezy is and I would bet that about 80% of the crowd in the Dome doesn't either. People go to the game for the experience and music that comes over the speakers are part of that experience. If they continually play music that folks don't know or like, it may turn folks off is all I am saying. What do you think the demographic of an SU crowd is, I am just curious? Are they all millenials and 20 somethings paying for those high end boxes, giving donations and paying for premium seats or are those older folks that by chance know who Jeezy is?

Yep, just 10 people on the board complain...didn't Babers hint that maybe new uniforms might be coming soon...must be because the kids like them that they are gonna change them again.

I personally don't mind them and think they are pretty cool, but most folks hate them.

The experience is the product on the field. Who cares about the bells and whistles? I'm fine with players choosing music to get THEM hype and THEY prepare to the field for THEIR game.

The experience is the product on the field. Who cares about the bells and whistles? I'm fine with players choosing music to get THEM hype and THEY prepare to the field for THEIR game.
LOL, that's funny. I wasn't at all talking about what gets the players up for a game, I was specifically talking about the entrance music. I care not one shade about any other music in the Dome.

1000% of the bitching on this board is about the bells and whistles...so it might be pretty important.

You sound like Mr Hand from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Then I will play the part of Spicolli, "Mr Hand, I been thinkin...seeing as you're here AND I'M here...isn't it OUR time?!"

It's not just their game, if it was just THEIR game, we wouldn't have stands for people to sit in and watch, pay good money for, spend money on concessions, etc. When those things aren't happening then it can be just their game and they could go play on their own in a field somewhere.

Until that time comes, it's OUR game.

LOL, that's funny. I wasn't at all talking about what gets the players up for a game, I was specifically talking about the entrance music. I care not one shade about any other music in the Dome.

1000% of the bitching on this board is about the bells and whistles...so it might be pretty important.

You sound like Mr Hand from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Then I will play the part of Spicolli, "Mr Hand, I been thinkin...seeing as you're here AND I'M here...isn't it OUR time?!"

It's not just their game, if it was just THEIR game, we wouldn't have stands for people to sit in and watch, pay good money for, spend money on concessions, etc. When those things aren't happening then it can be just their game and they could go play on their own in a field somewhere.

Until that time comes, it's OUR game.

So you're saying that the fans are more important than the players?

I think he's pointing out what you guys aren't getting. Warm up to whatever music you want. Jeezy, Squeezy, or M.C. Deezy...nobody really gives a sheezy.
What he's trying to address, is the fact that the scene as a whole, which includes the players, and the crowd, is pretty sterile. At other schools, prior to the team running onto the field, as they wait in the tunnel, there is some sort of tradition, or a musical build up that culminates in the players running onto the field, with the crowd all jacked up, because the crowd is a part of that build up too. Just like you saw at Va. Tech.
Other than that 1-2 minutes, the players can listen to as much hip hop as they would like. Last I checked, when they're doing there warmups pre game, and following half time, they're jamming to hip hop. When you watch other teams at other schools running onto the field, their players aren't running out to any hip hop. Instead the crowd, and players are coming together and getting themselves all frothed up while the players wait for the signal to run out of the tunnel, and the fans waiting to explode when they do.

Without fans, what happens?

Kind of like having a company that builds a great product and hires no salespeople to sell it. How long will that company last with no incoming revenue? Not long.

I have seen several geniuses that have great ideas and great product but have no idea how to sell it and they go under. Not valuing the fans or customers in ANY business is usually fatal.

Without fans, what happens?

Kind of like have a company that builds a great product and hires no salespeople to sell it. How long will that company last with no incoming revenue? Not long.
We'll find out Saturday. Should be a lot of silver in the stands. Ugh. When will this end? I was so spoiled growing up. I've been watching since I was 9 in 1987. I took all those years for granted. I just thought every Saturday Syracuse would get over 40,000. Hell we used to get over 40,000 for a really bad Rutgers program. I just thought Syracuse's rightful spot was in the top 25 playing in big meaningful games on national t.v. If you told me in 2017, you could only find most of the games on a streaming service, I fist would have asked what a streaming service was, and then told you you were crazy.
keep the faith...keep the faith...keep the faith...

We'll find out Saturday. Should be a lot of silver in the stands. Ugh. When will this end? I was so spoiled growing up. I've been watching since I was 9 in 1987. I took all those years for granted. I just thought every Saturday Syracuse would get over 40,000. Hell we used to get over 40,000 for a really bad Rutgers program. I just thought Syracuse's rightful spot was in the top 25 playing in big meaningful games on national t.v. If you told me in 2017, you could only find most of the games on a streaming service, I fist would have asked what a streaming service was, and then told you you were crazy.
keep the faith...keep the faith...keep the faith...
They need to do something drastically different to lure fans back. Fundamental problem with SU is that they are and remain profitable so they really don't have a compelling reason to change anything.

If I owned a company that was as profitable as SU athletics and rolling along, what is my incentive to change? There really isn't one until the bottom line is in the red and when that happens, it's usually too late.

So the players pick it. And then next year they pick something else that’s hot at the time. And the following year something else, etc.

We’re talking about creating what hopefully becomes a tradition here right?
No, we want to leave it up to the millenials and the instant gratification generation so our tradition changes weekly. Three months from now the song they are dancing around to will be considered out of style and old.

We should cater to younger people so when all you old geezers die out there will actually be people in the stands.

So the players pick it. And then next year they pick something else that’s hot at the time. And the following year something else, etc.

We’re talking about creating what hopefully becomes a tradition here right?

You guys would be surprised at the musical taste of alot of 18-22 year olds. I know plenty and a good portion are old souls that do know metallica, tom petty, zeppelin, hell, even beastie boys or LL cool J if they are into rap. Maybe even their parents influence. Dont think for a minute that every one of those VT players' heart rates dont elevate when they hear enter sandman.

No, we want to leave it up to the millenials and the instant gratification generation so our tradition changes weekly. Three months from now the song they are dancing around to will be considered out of style and old.
That's what I was waiting for, the millenial post. You realize every single business in the country is trying to figure out how to reach the millenial demographic, right?

THAT's why the stands are empty. THAT's why businesses people thought would exist forever have died. Because the old folks can't figure out how to reach the kids.

A sustainable business is always adapting.

You guys would be surprised at the musical taste of alot of 18-22 year olds. I know plenty and a good portion are old souls that do know metallica, tom petty, zeppelin, hell, even beastie boys or LL cool J if they are into rap. Maybe even their parents influence. Dont think for a minute that every one of those VT players' heart rates dont elevate when they hear enter sandman.
I’m a (old) Metallica fan, so I hate Enter Sandman. But it certainly works for an entrance. My wife an I came out to it at our reception. \m/

Two weeks ago I was a The Bville vs Liverpool football game. Every t/o and every break when music would come through the PA, it was Metallica, but exclusively music from Kill em All and Ride The Lightning. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. 29 years ago, if I had told my classmates at Bville that someday the “crap” I listened to would one day be played at 2017 football games I have been laughed at. It was pretty cool.

I wrote this post over at nunes a few years ago. I hold firm on my opinion still today, and take note of the poll at the end. Seems unanimous. Let The Band Play: What Happened To The Sounds Of College Sports?

I’d be very curious if my assumption is right, that teams like Michigan, and ND etc do not run out to house music. Anyone who has seen first hand chime in.

That's what I was waiting for, the millenial post. You realize every single business in the country is trying to figure out how to reach the millenial demographic, right?

THAT's why the stands are empty. THAT's why businesses people thought would exist forever have died. Because the old folks can't figure out how to reach the kids.

The stands aren’t much different than they’ve been for most of the last 10 years. I think it’s more because we’ve sucked than anything else.

We should cater to younger people so when all you old geezers die out there will actually be people in the stands.
Except all the young people are moving away from Syracuse. Oh, and the alumni don't make it back very often.

How good of a job has SU done to cater to and attract any fans? How good a job has the marketing department done in getting the word out on anything?

In other words, there are paying fans in the stands now and people want to treat them like crap in the hope that SU can figure out what no company on the planet has figured out how to do...sounds like a good plan.

So our attendance issues are because the University can't figure out how to reach 18-22 year olds? Here I was thinking it was because 18-22 year olds would rather go drinking on a Saturday than watch a football team that has been irrelevant since 2001.

Definitely Cochise. Rusty cage has a cool open, but Cochise offers that slow steady build up.
I could imagine a pretty intense and chaotic light show for rusty cage... when we get new lights. I don't care, it's win / win to me. Bnoro makes some interesting points about the Dome not being full, but in no major sporting event have I seen the music played over the PA ever been cater to the athletes on the field. Perhaps only baseball with player intros during at bats, but that was always weird to me. You get 15 seconds of a song chosen by the batter while we celebrate the individuality of baseball. In the AL, the most important individual in the game, the pitcher, gets no music.

I could imagine a pretty intense and chaotic light show for rusty cage... when we get new lights. I don't care, it's win / win to me. Bnoro makes some interesting points about the Dome not being full, but in no major sporting event have I seen the music played over the PA ever been cater to the athletes on the field. Perhaps only baseball with player intros during at bats, but that was always weird to me. You get 15 seconds of a song chosen by the batter while we celebrate the individuality of baseball. In the AL, the most important individual in the game, the pitcher, gets no music.
Mariano came out to enter sandman every appearance at home.

Ouch! I see your point, but ouch! And I thought the metal benches were tough on my posterior. Some of us aren't that old ya know.

There is a bit of chicken and egg here. Do you foresake the older fans, who have stuck with this program through a pretty deep valley in part because they remember what it was like in '87-'02 (take note of the era all the song choices are coming from) or do mortgage the future of fan interest on those same people rallying to create an atmosphere others want to be a part of? I am not sure of the answer, but I'll say that in the same way we try not to start too many freshmen, and want to create quality depth, experience plays a part. If all that everyone complains about the student attendance is looked at critically, you realize the football program was never a draw for them choosing SU. We were too bad for that to be the case. How can you rely on them and their generation to recreate our swagger and energy? We're only talking about the orchestration of the entrance, and I'm sorry but there is no question as to who it's about. It's about the fans. Get them frothing at the mouth, and the team will feed off that. Every player on that team would rather that than to playing in an empty Dome with their Migos on over the PA for 3 minutes. If there is a more contemporary choice that evokes the right energy, I'm all for it, but as I've said, eventually that too will be dated. A timeless classic is needed. I'd like to see SU buy the rights to a song such as that and every couple years find an artist contemporary who does a new take on it so we have both tradition and new. Stevie Wonder Higher Ground. The RHCP did an excellent cover. What artist wouldn't want to do a rendition of a Stevie Wonder song that is also part of a perpetual tradition?

They should play Lawrence Welk because when the players and coaches run out there because there is hardly anyone across from them when they come out of the tunnel. Most of the time I feel like I'm watching golf or tennis it's so quiet in the beginning of games and IMO the players feel that silent vibe as well.

Mariano came out to enter sandman every appearance at home.
As a lifelong NY/NJ resident I am well aware. He threw 3 outs. Someone else threw the previous 24. If he wasn't as great, or his career wasn't as long, would anyone know this "tradition"? I remember every fifth game when Guidry came out to..? Righetti? Goose Gossage? Rollie Fingers? I have no recall of McDowell or Franco's music. Rick Aguilera? What song does Chapman come out with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom