Bad Night for bizarro SU "Negatoid" Nation! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bad Night for bizarro SU "Negatoid" Nation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be a wet blanket, but when there's chest thumping over a win versus an unranked opponent I think that says as much as any of the negative posts could.
No one is “chest thumping”. This thread is celebrating the momentary respite from kvetching and bitter complaining of the pack of negatiods that infect this board.

You know, like the crowd that signed on to the “Boeheim should quit” thread from Saturday night.

By the way, for those who are interested, Oli44’s post is an example of what a real “straw man “ argument is. It’s where someone argues against a position that the other side never took.

Last edited:
g6m0rhy.gif

I was never really "out." But is has been easy to be a little pessimistic about this season lately. It's a good win. Win or lose I love the kids on this team and how hard they play. I hope they all come back so we can give them some help next year with Hughes, Bazley, Carey and Buddy.

I had some pretty strong takes on Saturday but I’m real excited this morning as any SU fan should be after a win vs Louisville on the road.

I love the minimizing of one’s comments on here.

What is “pretty strong” takes to one is “bile” to another.

Congratulations, however, on being honest and in showing up. Some of the other targets of this great initial post in this thread are laying low hoping things will blow over.

In your prior post you wrote, "Some of the other targets of this great initial post in this thread are laying low hoping things will blow over." Isn't this the definition of a strawman? You can't possibly think there are posters here who don't want us to keep winning.

"Negatoid" Nation is much, much better than "Indifferent" Nation. Negatoid means people are still emotionally invested. You should be way more concerned about the state of SU basketball if we score 44 points and people AREN'T upset.

Masterful,

This is where Eric15 justifies all his negativity because he can’t help himself because he is so “emotionally invested”

And as the “piece de la resistance” of his argument, he suggests that others should share his level of upset.

I am thrilled Syracuse won the Louisville game. I am one of many fans that don't think this Syracuse teams is one of our better ones. BUT, these kids try so hard, play 35-40 minutes a game. They are frequently over matched, yet as of right now they are still at least in contention for making the tournament. That's nothing short of a miracle, and is incredibly impressive.

I love SU as much as ANYONE on this board. I have been a fan for close to 40 years. I want what every fan wants: a team that competes for a run in the NCAA tournament. By and large, with few exceptions, we get that year in and year out as 'Cuse fans. In many ways one could argue that we've been spoiled. If I'm not mistaken, we have the longest active consecutive run of winning seasons. That's something to be very proud of.

What I see happen on this board, is if someone points out a Syracuse flaw (whether that be JB is getting too old to coach, or recruiting is suffering, the exclusive zone argument, or poor offensive schemes... you name it) it's as though all the positive things that the person believes about Syracuse get wiped away. People view it in black and white... you're a fan or your not. If you're a fan, how dare you suggest it's time for JB to walk away. If you're a fan, how dare you question the offensive schemes... etc...

Guess what, fans feel joy when their team thrives. Fans feel pain when the team stumbles. Fans get concerned about the future of the program they love when the coaching staff will undergo changes. Fans may not always agree with recruiting. None of this makes someone less of a fan, and it doesn't make someone a "negatoid."
All fair points.
If the Negatoid Nation shoe doesn't fit, then you're obviously good to go.
I've never been one to call out posters by name, but there are some on this board that could definitely carry the negatoid label.
Criticize JB? Absolutely- I hate some of the stuff he's done and continues to do.
Declare that a 2.5 month HC Mike Hopkins is "better" than a 40 year HOF'er, or declare with absolute conviction that, "JB can't coach"?
Well that, IMHO, is just abject stupidity.
And frankly, there's been too much of that here lately, simply because we've been losing with a young, depleted team.
Hence the moniker of- Negatoid. JMHO.

And I love the “I’m a better fan than you” posturing from some of our “better” posters.

Go away please.
So now you want people with opposing viewpoints to go away?

Are you even a little embarrassed?

I am thrilled Syracuse won the Louisville game. I am one of many fans that don't think this Syracuse teams is one of our better ones. BUT, these kids try so hard, play 35-40 minutes a game. They are frequently over matched, yet as of right now they are still at least in contention for making the tournament. That's nothing short of a miracle, and is incredibly impressive.

I love SU as much as ANYONE on this board. I have been a fan for close to 40 years. I want what every fan wants: a team that competes for a run in the NCAA tournament. By and large, with few exceptions, we get that year in and year out as 'Cuse fans. In many ways one could argue that we've been spoiled. If I'm not mistaken, we have the longest active consecutive run of winning seasons. That's something to be very proud of.

What I see happen on this board, is if someone points out a Syracuse flaw (whether that be JB is getting too old to coach, or recruiting is suffering, the exclusive zone argument, or poor offensive schemes... you name it) it's as though all the positive things that the person believes about Syracuse get wiped away. People view it in black and white... you're a fan or your not. If you're a fan, how dare you suggest it's time for JB to walk away. If you're a fan, how dare you question the offensive schemes... etc...

Guess what, fans feel joy when their team thrives. Fans feel pain when the team stumbles. Fans get concerned about the future of the program they love when the coaching staff will undergo changes. Fans may not always agree with recruiting. None of this makes someone less of a fan, and it doesn't make someone a "negatoid."

:)

Señor Townie, it's "pièce de résistance," a French expression, not Spanish.

Yes, you are right. I have been speaking Spanish for the last few weeks because of where I am.

But nit-picking my French isn’t the subject.

In your prior post you wrote, "Some of the other targets of this great initial post in this thread are laying low hoping things will blow over." Isn't this the definition of a strawman? You can't possibly think there are posters here who don't want us to keep winning.
Oh, I do think there are a few posters here who are happier when we lose than when we win. I think their posting history proves that.

All fair points.
If the Negatoid Nation shoe doesn't fit, then you're obviously good to go.
I've never been one to call out posters by name, but there are some on this board that could definitely carry the negatoid label.
Criticize JB? Absolutely- I hate some of the stuff he's done and continues to do.
Declare that a 2.5 month HC Mike Hopkins is "better" than a 40 year HOF'er, or declare with absolute conviction that, "JB can't coach"?
Well that, IMHO, is just abject stupidity.
And frankly, there's been too much of that here lately, simply because we've been losing with a young, depleted team.
Hence the moniker of- Negatoid. JMHO.

You should get an award for identifying these responses as “abject stupidity”.

I’m not sure these people are stupid. But I do think many are unable to deal with frustration without lashing out which they call “venting”. This is something they feel entitled to do. After all, they care so deeply.

And then there are those who fate has dealt a cruel blow. In a “fair” world they would be the SU coach and JB would be back in Lyons comforting the bereaved.

Oh, I do think there are a few posters here who are happier when we lose than when we win. I think their posting history proves that.

Well there is a guy on the UConn board who has openly admitted posing here as a Syracuse fan. I’m still not 100 percent who that is.

Of course.

That way they get to be the “experts”.

I am, because nothing demands decorum like a college sports message board.

So, no rules?

Fine.

But the thing that the Negatoids seem to hate most is to have their views or their credibility challenged.

If you choose to criticize you should be perfectly willing to be criticized in return. Right?

So, no rules?

Fine.

But the thing that the Negatoids seem to hate most is to have their views or their credibility challenged.

If you choose to criticize you should be perfectly willing to be criticized in return. Right?

It seems to give you a bizarre level of satisfaction to point out how much better a fan you are than other posters here. I’m glad I’m not like that, but if that’s what you crave I wouldn’t want to deny that to you.

Coaches, Players, and yes fans all have off nights. I have been a fan for 50 plus years and bleed orange. Criticizing or scrutinizing the program doesnt make anyone less of a fan. I was offered by Jim and have a huge amount of respect for him. There is zero doubt that he is an amazing coach who has done more for Syracuse and the community than most. Doesnt mean that i have to like him publicly berating a reporter or player or questioning something else. One can be a great fan and admirer and still criticize or object. The two are not mutually exclusive.

It depends, I think, on what that criticism is and how incessant it is.

Being a fan of a team is not a license to say whatever comes into you head without consequence. That is, if you want to taken seriously.

You were holding the rope in the front of the small mob in that thread about it being time for JB to retire, I think

No one is “chest thumping”. This thread is celebrating the momentary respite from kvetching and bitter complaining of the pack of negations that infect this board.

You know, like the crowd that signed on to the “Boeheim should quit” thread from Saturday night.

By the way, for those who are interested, Oli44’s post is an example of what a real “straw man “ argument is. It’s where someone argues against a position that the other side never took.

I guess we have different ways of celebrating. When someone "celebrates" by calling out posters on a message board that sounds more like insecurity and rabble-rousing to me but to each their own.

It seems to give you a bizarre level of satisfaction to point out how much better a fan you are than other posters here. I’m glad I’m not like that, but if that’s what you crave I wouldn’t want to deny that to you.

Because I don’t know what the limits of a fan are, I am not saying who is one or who isn’t. But some seem not to be able to handle frustration well. And others see it as an opportunity to share their wisdom regardless of their credibility.

Dr Bombay’s calling attention to the Negatoids is great. Maybe, just maybe, it might cause a few posters to think and ask themselves “Why am I posting this?” Maybe they would go down to the basement and hit the heavy bag a few times instead of calling for JB’s head.

By posting it like that, aren't you claiming the superiority that you claim he is seeking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom