Benny at the 5 | Syracusefan.com

Benny at the 5

Cuse44

Walk On
IF he buys into actually trying to defend as a 5 he could see 30 minutes a game the rest of the season backing up the 4/5 positions. He would be a huge matchup problem for opposing big men and could hold his own on D IF he actually buys into it as a challenge. Hopefully he sees it as an opportunity.

I am all in for him giving him all the backup C minutes ahead of Carey and Hima. I don't want to go back to playing 4 on 5 on Offense. That is aside from the issue that both Hima (who jumps at every fake) and Carey cannot defend without fouling.

I am all in for him giving him all the backup C minutes ahead of Carey and Hima. I don't want to go back to playing 4 on 5 on Offense. That is aside from the issue that both Hima (who jumps at every fake) and Carey cannot defend without fouling.
They're going to need Carey again. If they can find 5-10 mins/game to keep getting him experience I think that will help.

They're going to need Carey again. If they can find 5-10 mins/game to keep getting him experience I think that will help.
Exactly - we are going to need carey to play and what he gave us last night was fine. We need to be able to rest Maliq, and eventually Benny because against any teams with size, Benny and Maliq are going to have to play together.

I am totally in your camp. Carey can only get better by playing in games at this point. He has come a long way from the Tennessee game imo. I honestly feel he can jump and shoot which is a step up over Hima. Yes he bites at every fake and is a bit over anxious but playing should help him get better. There will be games when we absolutely need him. Need to get him ready!

The OP said he could play 30mpg. He hasn’t done that in one game this year.

Details, shmeetails!! :p

Hasn't, and couldn't, aren't the same things.

That said, I doubt we'd ever see that.
But - IF Benny can embrace the role, and play it well - who knows?

Carey is 6'11", but only 205.
Benny is 6'9" & 210, so he's actually more solid than Mr Carey, and certainly 1000x more of an offensive threat.
He's also not a walking foul magnet.
Carey had 4 fouls in 7 mins vs. Pitt, and 2 fouls in 9 mins vs UNC.

Benny had 4 vs. Pitt (1 was the Tech foul) in 19 minutes.

Benny has been averaging about 15 mins / game so far this season.
With a high of 24 in the Pitt game at the dome.

I don't see 30+ for him, but if we give him his normal run at PF, and maybe 5 mins / half at the 5, then getting total minutes / game in the mid-20's isn't out of the realm of possibility.

And keeping Maliq down closer to 30 is ideal, so he can give full effort (and avoid foul trouble) during his time on the court.

Details, shmeetails!! :p

Hasn't, and couldn't, aren't the same things.

That said, I doubt we'd ever see that.
But - IF Benny can embrace the role, and play it well - who knows?

Carey is 6'11", but only 205.
Benny is 6'9" & 210, so he's actually more solid than Mr Carey, and certainly 1000x more of an offensive threat.
He's also not a walking foul magnet.
Carey had 4 fouls in 7 mins vs. Pitt, and 2 fouls in 9 mins vs UNC.

Benny had 4 vs. Pitt (1 was the Tech foul) in 19 minutes.

Benny has been averaging about 15 mins / game so far this season.
With a high of 24 in the Pitt game at the dome.

I don't see 30+ for him, but if we give him his normal run at PF, and maybe 5 mins / half at the 5, then getting total minutes / game in the mid-20's isn't out of the realm of possibility.

And keeping Maliq down closer to 30 is ideal, so he can give full effort (and avoid foul trouble) during his time on the court.
30 was aggressive but adding 10 at the 5 to his already 15 isn’t a stretch. Lots of IFs and biggest one is he actually embraces the challenge. He hasn’t exactly embraced his current role so adding this is a stretch but it could help the team if it does play out

We can’t count on Benny every game. There will be games he does nothing. We need to stop anointing Benny every time he does anything positive.
Carey over him though? I know bad Benny is bad, but Carey brings less than zero.

Carey over him though? I know bad Benny is bad, but Carey brings less than zero.
robert downey jr im gonna try to do something right for once GIF

30 for Maliq at the 5, 10 for Benny, then 10 for Benny at the 4 give or take with the others splitting up the remaining 30 however needed. Benny is a 15 to 20 min per game guy at most with less or more depending on what version we get

Regarding Carey, many have commented on how he did a good job against Pitt. I guess I just missed it (seriously). The only two times I noticed him on D was when he was so hell bent on boxing out a Pitt guy that he missed the rebound that he probably should have had. It was like boxing out was more important than pulling down the rebound.

Last edited:
Regarding Carey, many have commented on how he did a good job against Pitt. I guess I just missed it (seriously). The only two times I noticed him on D was when he was so hell bent on boxing a Pitt guy that he missed the rebound that he probably should have had. It was like boxing out was more important than pulling down the rebound.
Im very confused what people saw that shows he should play a minute in a competitive game.

Im very confused what people saw that shows he should play a minute in a competitive game.
He's not a stiff is what I saw. He's an inexperienced under muscled 6'11" kid. In 7 minutes he had an assist and a rebound. Add in the 4 fouls and you could say he was active. He looked pretty confident taking that 12 foot turn around. I also noted right after that his buddy Quadir politely reminding Peter that this wasn't practice and he probably wasn't ready to take that in games. He also made a nice cut that he unfortunately dropped the dish on but at least he was in the right place to make a play.
We're at "break in case of emergency" time at the 5. If we can spoon feed Carey a couple 2-3 minute runs per game I think he could lose some of the inexperienced nervousness that is affecting him and not be a negative when he comes on the court.

He's not a stiff is what I saw. He's an inexperienced under muscled 6'11" kid. In 7 minutes he had an assist and a rebound. Add in the 4 fouls and you could say he was active. He looked pretty confident taking that 12 foot turn around. I also noted right after that his buddy Quadir politely reminding Peter that this wasn't practice and he probably wasn't ready to take that in games. He also made a nice cut that he unfortunately dropped the dish on but at least he was in the right place to make a play.
We're at "break in case of emergency" time at the 5. If we can spoon feed Carey a couple 2-3 minute runs per game I think he could lose some of the inexperienced nervousness that is affecting him and not be a negative when he comes on the court.
He got the fouls because he’s beyond slow to react and by then he’s 2 steps behind and is in an awful position.

What you’re saying has been said about every player who came here and stunk, some end up being pretty good, but it’s the minority.

This guy didn’t see minutes even when we had a guy who wasn’t good and hasn’t been good at this level, why would Carey be better than him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom