Bill Raftery……. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bill Raftery…….

No, sorry. I love the guy, but he's lost 10 mph off his fastball these past couple years.

He can't even deliver his signature phrases with confidence and panache. He's about at the end of his road. He's had a terrific career. One of the best story tellers ever,
Tend to agree.

Raf seems like a great guy, the kind you want to have a beer or two or three with and he certainly knows the game inside out.

This is not Raf's fault but I'd like to know which knucklehead came up with the idea that three in a booth was necessary. It leads to over analysis where every single move has to be sliced and diced. They can never let the game breathe.

Raf's go to phrases are fine but they've been beaten to death. Nothing wrong with some humor but it's a bit of a lounge act routine. That said, he's still one of the best analysts out there though he'd be better in a two man booth. I prefer the team of Eagle/Spanarkel. I'd like to see them take top billing.

I love Raf but I met Dickie V years ago at Grimaldi and sat at the table next to where he was sitting with JB and staff. He was incredibly entertaining. So I have to vote for Vitale. Even though it makes no sense to do that just because of the Grimaldi meeting

At the ripe old age of 78, he is STILL the most informative/entertaining college basketball color man in the business!

He's been 1 of my absolute favorites for many years now. I always crack up when they make a joke about him & drinking. Forgot the line by Nantz in the title game, but something about a hangover and "Raf knows about that."

I realize many don’t like Jim Nantz, however he is smooth at any sport he is the main announcer………very smooth and doesn’t bring the the spotlight upon himself……
I used to like Nantz but like many announcers who have been around a long time, he has become a parody of himself. Listening to him do some of the basketball games, he was saying things that were already obvious and just couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Back in the day, when he and Pat Summerall worked together, he was really good. The last few years, not so much.

Never been a fan of Nantz. I love Raft….funny and very enlightening.

Tend to agree.

Raf seems like a great guy, the kind you want to have a beer or two or three with and he certainly knows the game inside out.

This is not Raf's fault but I'd like to know which knucklehead came up with the idea that three in a booth was necessary. It leads to over analysis where every single move has to be sliced and diced. They can never let the game breathe.

Raf's go to phrases are fine but they've been beaten to death. Nothing wrong with some humor but it's a bit of a lounge act routine. That said, he's still one of the best analysts out there though he'd be better in a two man booth. I prefer the team of Eagle/Spanarkel. I'd like to see them take top billing.

The three man booth with a well-known and somewhat-his-own-character PBP. That is a lot. Nothing against Nantz, but he's almost become too big of a personality to pair with a big personality on color.

It works with Romo because Romo is show and there is no question about it.

fter 11:00When I was a kid I used to listen to Jim McKechnie doing the Nats games on my little GE clock radio. I thought he controlled what happened in the game. He had to be the all time "homer".

I luv Rafferty. ONIONS
My Mom attended a home show and won a door prize - a radio. She let me put it in my room. I loved it and listened to it all the time especially to the Nats
I remember one night they played the newly moved Lakers in an away night game. It must have been after 11:00 and I heard my Mom on the stairs and turned off the radio. She came in and felt the radio. It was hot - busted!

Last edited:
My Mom attended a home show and won a door prize - a radio. She let me put it in my room. I loved it and listened to it all the time especially to the Nats
I remember one night they played the newly moved Lakers in an away night game. It must have been after 11:00 and I heard my Mom on the stairs and turned off the radio. She came in and felt the radio. It was hot - busted!
LOL

Raff still kills it.

HiPro4000_Open__57987.1445429616.jpg

the hotel mini fridge that is ...
he's simply the best . big east ties from way back. makes the games fun.
and unlike DUKIEVEE he don't ever play favorites or gush. straight up man to man...

with zone principles.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom