Can we finally all admit Hackett is not the answer. | Syracusefan.com

Can we finally all admit Hackett is not the answer.

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Were in year four now, can we finally crack in to that billion dollars of SU money and hire an OC who has a clue how to call a game. What more is it going to take? This offense is right back to 2010 ineptitude.

The NW game was clearly an anomaly as we havent thrown a pass more then 20 yards since USC, have zero idea how to use Brolyd, continue to call run plays in 3rd and long situations that clearly have zero chance of picking up the first down, have completely abandoned the TE position including Stevens who the staff couldnt praise more in the preseason, continue to split carries when Smith is averaging 6-7 yards a carry, cotinue to run sweeps and reverses with posession receivers and not Brolyd or Clark or Gulley, we refuse to run any sort of trick play or mis direction, no WR screens when every other team in America is running a half a dozen a game including every team we play, and until the bye week we had no short yardage package. 8 straight quarters against bad teams and we have 1 legitimate offensive touchdown that wasnt scored in garbage time.

This team will never take the next step with Hackett, you cant win games when every drive has to be a 18 play marathon. Even the most ardent Marrone supporter has to admit this Offense needs new blood, enough is enough.

if you watch the game again you could answer most of your own questions

if you watch the game again you could answer most of your own questions

I know hes not going anywhere and thats the most dissapointing aspect of the entire situation. I was hoping maybe this year we could average 21+ offensive points against BE teams, obviously thats not looking good right now.

I know hes not going anywhere and thats the most dissapointing aspect of the entire situation. I was hoping maybe this year we could average 21+ offensive points against BE teams, obviously thats not looking good right now.

We've played one big east game. Do you know how averages work? Agreed on the trick play thing-- not sure why more teams don't utilize them.

We've played one big east game. Do you know how averages work? Agreed on the trick play thing-- not sure why more teams don't utilize them.

Go look at the averages the last two years against BE opponents, you will want to throw up.

I think teams are starting to play man, press coverage mostly against our receivers now. They can't separate well and are all mostly possession receivers anyways. Nassib terribly underthrew Sales on that INT but that was a good call. We had opportunities to crank up the run game and did so.

I think teams are starting to play man, press coverage mostly against our receivers now. They can't separate well and are all mostly possession receivers anyways. Nassib terribly underthrew Sales on that INT but that was a good call. We had opportunities to crank up the run game and did so.

Smith was running great yesterday, he should have another half a dozen carries at least, he really is stepping up. The pass to Sales was a terrible call, when was the last time Nassib threw a fade?

The fade call was ed. Sales has been money on the slant down there yet we don't try one.

He's not even the right guy to run the fade with.

Smith was running great yesterday, he should have another half a dozen carries at least, he really is stepping up. The pass to Sales was a terrible call, when was the last time Nassib threw a fade?

I just assumed he has. Maybe you're right. I'm not a huge Hackett guy I thought Hackett mixed up the run game well. They tried to stretch the field but it seemed like there wasn't much available making Nassib hold the ball a bunch.

I just assumed he has. Maybe you're right. I'm not a huge Hackett guy I thought Hackett mixed up the run game well. They tried to stretch the field but it seemed like there wasn't much available making Nassib hold the ball a bunch.

Smith and Gulley to an extent are running much better then most thought they would before the season started. But going by the numbers and performance Smith has taken it to another level. He really should be getting starters carries, at this point he gets 7-10 max. I would love to see what he could do with 20+ carries when hes running the way he has the past three games. The pass to Sales was a really bad call, first off Nassib doesnt throw fades, ever. Second even if we wanted to try that play you dont run it to a 5'10 Wr, you run it with Flemming who is 6'4.

I'm giving it to the end of the year. He has had moments of genius like the opening drive. Minnesota game was on the oline more than the playcalling and even then we out gained them... Last night was mostly on Nassib.

I think we over think things... Sometimes the players don't execute because the other team wins a matchup. Last night our oline was getting beat up enough to slow down the run game, Pitt was able to single cover our receivers and they basically couldn't get open, Nassib was clearly not feeling comfortable in the pocket so he was taking off too early or going to the safety valve too much.

For those who want wr screens... Our receivers don't block well enough to spring our guys, the receives are not consistent enough and Nassib not accurate enough to have much good come out of those wr screens. Those screens work on us because Schafer doesn't pay press coverage and gifts the other team 5 yard zones. If we play pressure D then wr screens won't work on us either.

This new offense has potential but we don't have the players to execute it yet.

Smith and Gulley to an extent are running much better then most thought they would before the season started. But going by the numbers and performance Smith has taken it to another level. He really should be getting starters carries, at this point he gets 7-10 max. I would love to see what he could do with 20+ carries when hes running the way he has the past three games. The pass to Sales was a really bad call, first off Nassib doesnt throw fades, ever. Second even if we wanted to try that play you dont run it to a 5'10 Wr, you run it with Flemming who is 6'4.

Yeah, wish I cared more. I will say that I thought Smith showed a burst I didn't see in prior games. He looked really good. I thought Sales was taller. Now if we can get someone to take RA's snaps...sigh.

Were in year four now, can we finally crack in to that billion dollars of SU money and hire an OC who has a clue how to call a game. What more is it going to take? This offense is right back to 2010 ineptitude.

The NW game was clearly an anomaly as we havent thrown a pass more then 20 yards since USC, have zero idea how to use Brolyd, continue to call run plays in 3rd and long situations that clearly have zero chance of picking up the first down, have completely abandoned the TE position including Stevens who the staff couldnt praise more in the preseason, continue to split carries when Smith is averaging 6-7 yards a carry, cotinue to run sweeps and reverses with posession receivers and not Brolyd or Clark or Gulley, we refuse to run any sort of trick play or mis direction, no WR screens when every other team in America is running a half a dozen a game including every team we play, and until the bye week we had no short yardage package. 8 straight quarters against bad teams and we have 1 legitimate offensive touchdown that wasnt scored in garbage time.

This team will never take the next step with Hackett, you cant win games when every drive has to be a 18 play marathon. Even the most ardent Marrone supporter has to admit this Offense needs new blood, enough is enough.

Continue to call run plays on 3rd and long? Where do you get this stuff from. On third and more than six, smith has run it twice, once for a first down, and Gully once. Nassib has 7 carries on 3rd and more than six, and has gotten a first down on three of them. My guess is that they were scrambles for the most part, though that last one against Pitt might have had a run option. Haven't thrown a pass more than 20 yds? That's just silly.

On one hand you're complaining that they need to stop taking plays away from Smith and on the other why is Broyld getting playing time. Make up your mind.

Continue to call run plays on 3rd and long? Where do you get this stuff from. On third and more than six, smith has run it twice, once for a first down, and Gully once. Nassib has 7 carries on 3rd and more than six, and has gotten a first down on three of them. My guess is that they were scrambles for the most part, though that last one against Pitt might have had a run option. Haven't thrown a pass more than 20 yds? That's just silly.

On one hand you're complaining that they need to stop taking plays away from Smith and on the other why is Broyld getting playing time. Make up your mind.

I will see if I can answer these questions one by one.

Against Minnesota on third and long we ran the ball at least 2 if not 3 times for a minimal game. We also did it once yesterday. Its one thing to call a draw every now and then to catch a D off guard but it was blatant against Minnesota, its was mentioned here by multiple posters as well so I am not alone. I dont have any issues with Nassib scrambling if nothing is open or leaving him a run option, sometimes no one is open and him taking off is a good thing.

Smith and Broyld have nothing to do with one another. Broyld is not a RB, he shouldnt be playing RB and we look ed giving our best athletic player inside handoffs and having him play RB when he has never played that position in his career. Broyld should be playing in the slot as his regular position and utilized the way Florida used Percy Harvin, constantly in motion and lining up all over the place ie slot, behind the TE, in the backfield, out wide, as the QB etc. Theres zero reason he and Smith cant both be on the field at the same time. Broyld is not a RB.

Jeremy I thi k you just like to complain. I think you should be the head coach because you know so much. LSU looked horrible on offense today I think they need a new OC. You can't judge one game man Pitt has some damn good athletes on that team
You can't score a lot every game. what position do you think Broyld should play. I will tell you he will never play QB.

Smith and Broyld have nothing to do with one another. Broyld is not a RB, he shouldnt be playing RB and we look ed giving our best athletic player inside handoffs and having him play RB when he has never played that position in his career. Broyld should be playing in the slot as his regular position and utilized the way Florida used Percy Harvin, constantly in motion and lining up all over the place ie slot, behind the TE, in the backfield, out wide, as the QB etc. Theres zero reason he and Smith cant both be on the field at the same time. Broyld is not a RB.

Broyld has never played WR in his career either.

Jeremy I thi k you just like to complain. I think you should be the head coach because you know so much. LSU looked horrible on offense today I think they need a new OC. You can't judge one game man Pitt has some damn good athletes on that team
You can't score a lot every game. what position do you think Broyld should play. I will tell you he will never play QB.

LOL are you really comparing this team versus LSU?

I allready answered the Broyld question in another thread and no I dont think he should be playing QB.

Its not one game, Hackett has been the O coordinator for 3 Years now not just the Pitt game. Go look at our offensive stats and points against BE teams in the Hackett era, its a joke. How many times are we going to tip our cap and say the defense was great. Youngstown state scored nearly 40 on Pitt.

We just started this year my friend you need to wait and see how it plays out before you judge. One thing you can say about the BE is that they do play good defense in this league compared to some others

We just started this year my friend you need to wait and see how it plays out before you judge. One thing you can say about the BE is that they do play good defense in this league compared to some others

Pitts not known for there "D". Your right though lets see what happens the next two weeks both RU and UCant have pretty good defenses. Maybe Hackett will come out and call a great game and we can crack the 20's, like most Div 1 A teams.

I didnt say he did. Look its clear he needs to get the ball in space and on the move, that means playing WR. Hes clearly not a RB.

He's Paul Harris.

Too slow, can't dunk, can't dribble, can't pass, can't shoot. But he's the best athlete on the team.

Maybe Broyld can be a SF?

He's Paul Harris.

Too slow, can't dunk, can't dribble, can't pass, can't shoot. But he's the best athlete on the team.

Maybe Broyld can be a SF?

LOL I love that comparison and its scary how accurate it seems to be.

We certainly all have, and are entitled to, an opinion.

I can tell you this, at no time during the Pitt game did I think to myself: "damn, we are not scoring/moving the ball because of that Hackett guy calling the plays."

I'm think my cat did, though. But he is a catnip addict, so I don't always trust his judgement..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom