Chance Amie Ends up at Grambling | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Amie Ends up at Grambling

I'm struggling to sort this all out. Yes, January is attrition month. Guys like Devon Butler that have talent and haven't been able to put it all together here - look for other opportunities. I get that. But you don't normally expect players with Chance's potential - by many accounts tearing it up on the scout team - to bolt before they even get an opportunity to compete for playing time. Chance was touted about as a potential future starter, backing up TD this year and possibly getting some playing time situationally (or due to injury). So this isn't the kind of transfer that's expected, or even healthy for the program (unless Welch is far more capable than I've been told). I'll stay tuned for more as this unfolds. But something tells me exogenous forces are at work here.

From the thread, it’s clear this was not just a football decision or about playing time. According to connected folks here, Chance had made some “poor decisions” and endured some “transgressions”.

Given that, hopefully this is no surprise to the staff and they have already been making plans to find a replacement.

As the parent of three kids that have mostly completed their college years, I feel for Chance and all of the other athletes that are looking for the best place for themselves. We're all fans that have a vested interest in all things orange, but these kids are still trying to find a pathway for themselves and have many people giving them advice. I'd liked to have seen Chance in orange, but he made a tough choice, gambling on finding a better situation that will help his overall career and life. It could be that he's now more interested in Houston with the change in coaching staff. I trust that Dino will assess his options and find a solution. He seems pretty competent...

Apparently going to a JC, I doubt this is for him to upgrade opportunities but rather to try and salvage himself from going down in flames. Too bad I really liked his potential as a QB.

Missing the point. He was developing. In another year or so, he'd likely be ready to contribute. Now we’ll need to develop a new QB in another year and he’ll have ZERO experience if we need him to replace DeVito. That’s how bad our QB situation will be after next season. It’s why you need to keep developing QBs.
Also missing the point that Amie had the escapabilty similar to Dungey. If our new line can not pass protect DeVito may have some problems operating the offense, he is not immobile but not the dual threat of a Dungey or Amie. It is now much more crucial that a revamped offensive line can pass protect. Line is now our biggest concern on offense, because we have less ability to adapt at QB.
The good thing is our running game should be pretty good, and that should slow down opposing pass rush.

Also missing the point that Amie had the escapabilty similar to Dungey. If our new line can not pass protect DeVito may have some problems operating the offense, he is not immobile but not the dual threat of a Dungey or Amie. It is now much more crucial that a revamped offensive line can pass protect. Line is now our biggest concern on offense, because we have less ability to adapt at QB.
The good thing is our running game should be pretty good, and that should slow down opposing pass rush.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not really worried about the offensive line at all. We have three people returning with starting experience, several others with effective rotational experience, and young players who are markedly better prospects than we've had in recent memory. I honestly don't expect our line to take much of a step backwards.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not really worried about the offensive line at all. We have three people returning with starting experience, several others with effective rotational experience, and young players who are markedly better prospects than we've had in recent memory. I honestly don't expect our line to take much of a step backwards.

To add to your reasoning, Tommy DeVito has a quick release. TD will not hold the ball long, negating many opposing teams' front four. This may force 5-6 rushers or could result with TD having more time in the pocket. This is, after all, HCDB's offensive mindset.

When a QB has more faith in his ability to escape the rush than his pass (ED) he tends to hold the ball longer and wait for a receiver to get open, then have to run. This is not a complaint and actually can be good. In our case, we had no line, ED was perfect, and worked as a bridge to where HCDB wants to go. HCDB has been developing the OL and depth, TD is the style QB HCDB has in mind for the system.

This is not a hit on dual threat guys, but there are very few who are pass first, run only if necessary. We will see more as more traditional style QBs learn how to run, but let's be honest, you rarely want your QB to be the leading rusher on the team.

I think you are being a little bit naïve, we might have a serviceable line next year, however offensive line play has as much to do with how they work together as the ability of the individuals. Any time you have to assemble a new line there will be question marks.
We had problems in pass protection this year, but Dungey was able to escape many times and make plays. It is an open question whether Devito can do those things or the new line can improve in pass protection. I certainly hope both occur but we will have to wait and see.

I think you are being a little bit naïve, we might have a serviceable line next year, however offensive line play has as much to do with how they work together as the ability of the individuals. Any time you have to assemble a new line there will be question marks.
We had problems in pass protection this year, but Dungey was able to escape many times and make plays. It is an open question whether Devito can do those things or the new line can improve in pass protection. I certainly hope both occur but we will have to wait and see.

I don't disagree with you, but Dungey also ran into some trouble by abandoning the pocket too quickly and holding on to the ball too long. I think it remains to be seen how well our new line will play. Regardless, I think we'll have better athletes on the line next year than we had last year. Will we have growing pains? Of course. However, it's not like these players have never played with one another.

To add to your reasoning, Tommy DeVito has a quick release. TD will not hold the ball long, negating many opposing teams' front four. This may force 5-6 rushers or could result with TD having more time in the pocket. This is, after all, HCDB's offensive mindset.

When a QB has more faith in his ability to escape the rush than his pass (ED) he tends to hold the ball longer and wait for a receiver to get open, then have to run. This is not a complaint and actually can be good. In our case, we had no line, ED was perfect, and worked as a bridge to where HCDB wants to go. HCDB has been developing the OL and depth, TD is the style QB HCDB has in mind for the system.

This is not a hit on dual threat guys, but there are very few who are pass first, run only if necessary. We will see more as more traditional style QBs learn how to run, but let's be honest, you rarely want your QB to be the leading rusher on the team.

I do not disagree, but his release quicker or not did not seem to bother Notre Dames pass rush and he seemed to lack that escapability factor. I hope we find a way to make him successful but I have some concerns that is all.

I do not disagree, but his release quicker or not did not seem to bother Notre Dames pass rush and he seemed to lack that escapability factor. I hope we find a way to make him successful but I have some concerns that is all.

Yeah, but let's be honest. Dungey played TERRIBLY against Notre Dame before he went out too.

Yeah, but let's be honest. Dungey played TERRIBLY against Notre Dame before he went out too.
Sample size was too small, he went out in the first quarter. I am not trying to say anything bad about DeVito. I think he can be a fabulous pocket passer, but can our new line protect him that is what I have concerns about.
Amie being gone just robs us of another option, and I like having other options. I do not know enough about Welch to gage his abilities.

Blinn College. Brenham, Texas.

I live about 1 hour from Blinn College and about 1 hour from Texas A&M. I am not sure of the totality of their exact arrangement but to my understanding, Blinn College is a direct feeder school with fully transferable credits and some other coordinated experiences with Texas A&M.

Not for nothing, but being about an hour from Houston and less than 2 hours from Austin would certainly present some more visibility advantages in order to help him overcome whatever challenges he may have already encountered.

One of Blinn College’s other known commodities in this region is its capacity to help fledgling collegiate bound young adults with their transition from a dependent to fully university capable student adult. This is obviously not meant to cast any aspersions on Mr. Amie or SU, because we all of course hope for the best for all concerns. However, Mr. Amie made an apparent pretty good choice if he would like just a little bit of extra help with stepping into his future while also providing a sense of home and unparalleled local visibility if he would like to believe that his future collegiate growth and career is in Texas.

Yeah, it was small, but he went 1-4 with an interception. That's an inauspicious start if ever there was one. Our O-Line is likely never going to hold up perfectly against Notre Dame, and for the most part, it doesn't have to. We need to hold up against NC State, Wake Forest, Louisville, and Boston College. Also, you can still be successful with a pocket passer so long as you have a running game to relieve some of pressure.

I understand your concern about Chance Amie leaving, and I am too considering our lack of QB depth. Regardless, we don't know whether Chance Amie would be Eric Dungey, Terrell Hunt, or Cam Dantley. What I do know is that our O-Line has more talent than it's ever had. The transition likely won't be seamless, but hopefully we'll have a few games to figure it out before facing the top D-Lines in the ACC.

Yeah, it was small, but he went 1-4 with an interception. That's an inauspicious start if ever there was one. Our O-Line is likely never going to hold up perfectly against Notre Dame, and for the most part, it doesn't have to. We need to hold up against NC State, Wake Forest, Louisville, and Boston College. Also, you can still be successful with a pocket passer so long as you have a running game to relieve some of pressure.

I understand your concern about Chance Amie leaving, and I am too considering our lack of QB depth. Regardless, we don't know whether Chance Amie would be Eric Dungey, Terrell Hunt, or Cam Dantley. What I do know is that our O-Line has more talent than it's ever had. The transition likely won't be seamless, but hopefully we'll have a few games to figure it out before facing the top D-Lines in the ACC.

I hope you are right, but hope is no guarantee and Syracuse offensive lines have historically not overwhelmed anyone with their pass protection. I hope that is about to change. We shall soon see, Oh and no mention of Clemson who we play every year must have been an oversight.
I do not know how you are saying the oline has all this talent, Certainly unproven at this point and potential is just potential until proven. I hope they prove to be as good as you think.

Come on. For the tiny sample size, he wasn't good. But recall he had us driving when he went down.

Do we beat ND with Dungey for the full game? I'd say no. But do we have the lopsided loss that cost us stature on a national stage? Again, I would say no.

I hope you are right, but hope is no guarantee and Syracuse offensive lines have historically not overwhelmed anyone with their pass protection. I hope that is about to change. We shall soon see, Oh and no mention of Clemson who we play every year must have been an oversight.
I do not know how you are saying the oline has all this talent, Certainly unproven at this point and potential is just potential until proven. I hope they prove to be as good as you think.

It's not an oversight. We likely won't handle Clemson's and Florida State's d-line every year. That would be an unrealistic expectation. Regarding my assessment of the O-Line's talent, I think the presence of young talent on the two-deep and the players' recruiting ratings and offers illustrate that the talent we've brought in recently is superior to the talent we've had in the past. We'll see whether I'm right, but I think it's a fair bet that our O-Line is more talented than it's been in recent memory.

Come on. For the tiny sample size, he wasn't good. But recall he had us driving when he went down.

Do we beat ND with Dungey for the full game? I'd say no. But do we have the lopsided loss that cost us stature on a national stage? Again, I would say no.

I'm not insulting Dungey, but he was shaping up to have a bad game. And if we were driving, it wasn't because of him. He had 2 rushes for 8 yards and was 1-4 passing for 10 yards and an INT. His performance isn't surprising considering that Notre Dame's defense was very very good last season. I think we were heading for a blowout either way.

I'm not insulting Dungey, but he was shaping up to have a bad game. And if we were driving, it wasn't because of him. He had 2 rushes for 8 yards and was 1-4 passing for 10 yards and an INT. His performance isn't surprising considering that Notre Dame's defense was very very good last season. I think we were heading for a blowout either way.

Eric has "shaped up" to have a bad game before and turned it around in game.

ND's defense was elite and that's why I'm not saying he could have turned the game in our favor.

But it's also important to realize that ND would have had to account for Eric, with no such concern for TD as his running ability is not really a factor. That made the game one-dimensional and their defense just devoured us from there.

Had Eric played, I see something closer to a 31-17 final. Still a loss, but maybe a difference in the national perception.

Last edited:
But we also didn’t have any hot reads or screen game to back Irish off from blitzing. They sent five all game long and we just didn’t adjust. Drove me nuts. Also Dungey did look to run a we bit early and never seemed comfortable stepping up into pocket to get more time. Not knocking him. As for our line, I have no issues as I think our run blocking may be better and our pass blocking couldn’t get much worse. That left De murdered our tackle at Nd all game. Never seen Conway that badly beaten all game long. Martin did good but not great so I think we will be good there.

Obviously he didn't. He sees Devito in practice every day. If he is transferring and going JUCO it's because he knows he's not beating out Devito and just wants to get a fresh start .

Disagree with this. It's something else.

Kid was pushing Tommy and would've continued to do so. Let's not kid ourselves.

I'm baffled by this transfer. Blows.

He did seem out of it on sideline almost like he had a better place to be.

Transfer looks straight forward to me. Based on timing and destination (Blinn), my presumption is that Amie couldn’t take care of his academic responsibilities. If this was about fb potential and playing time, he would have gone to a peer program straight away (i.e., no juco).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom