Chucks | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Chucks

I'm a west ender so Colmans was usually a stop at 12:30 0r 1 on the way home from downtown. Some great bars over that way. Blarney Stone, Steve's and Nibsey's are solid. Never been a big McCavan's fan. Stone thrower's and RosiesI never went into much only when I had a pub crawl that we used to do.

I will forever be proud of the fact that I was the one who first posted about the DeShaun incident, shortly after it happened.

It was then that I knew how Woodward and Bernstein felt.

(assuming they felt slightly drunk, really tired, and worried about how it would impact the season)

I will forever be proud of the fact that I was the one who first posted about the DeShaun incident, shortly after it happened.

It was then that I knew how Woodward and Bernstein felt.

(assuming they felt slightly drunk, really tired, and worried about how it would impact the season)

Very positively.

Or you can do what we did in 2003 - go to the game.

Unfortunately, not in the budget. However, the roady to NO for the Sugar Bowl was epic (except the stay in the YMCA).

Marc was the guy that I knew. Not real tall, not much older than the crowd. He was a nice guy, but then I never worked for him.

I heard, back then, that he was trying to buy it. If I remember correctly someone in Boston owned it. Your years were the tail end of my time at SU.

Loved the fries with nacho cheese...and the dumpy atmosphere.

Went there a lot during my days (78-82). If I had a dollar for every pitcher of Prior Double Dark and California Burger I had there, I would be retired on fantasy Island. I can't even remember what was on a California Burger. Good times.

I worked at Darwins from March '05 until November '06 when it closed. Every Thursday night was "student night" and it was PACKED. Friday's would be packed from 4 til about 8 then it would be nearly completely empty.

Rumor has it Thor (chucks bartender for the past 8 years), is opening a bar in the old Darwins space within the next year called Thor's Corner. Now THAT is info that should be kept on the pay side. :D

I worked at Darwins from March '05 until November '06 when it closed. Every Thursday night was "student night" and it was PACKED. Friday's would be packed from 4 til about 8 then it would be nearly completely empty.

Rumor has it Thor (chucks bartender for the past 8 years), is opening a bar in the old Darwins space within the next year called Thor's Corner. Now THAT is info that should be kept on the pay side. :D
Do you know why Darwin's closed? It may be common knowledge up there, but I never really heard.

Do you know why Darwin's closed? It may be common knowledge up there, but I never really heard.

A new owner bought the building and didn't want a liquor license in the building. Also the owner of Darwins had been paying the same amount for rent to the old owner for like 15 years. Apperantly what Darwins was paying was drastically low, and the new owner of the building raised it considerably (10x what they had been paying or something). Also the owner of Darwins was an older guy and just didn't want to deal with the liability of owning a bar anymore.

I don't think the new owner of the building knew what he was getting into, because the electrical and plumbing for the whole building was a mess and it was going to cost a ton to fix. I don't think there has been anything in the Darwins space since.

Sutter's was always rowdy! I think I got thrown out a couple of times.

If I've remembered the story correctly, Sutter's got shut down my freshman year ('91-'92) after Michael Edwards smashed up the manager's car with a hammer after getting tossed from the place one night. Cops came, lots of uynderage kids drinking, and blammo, not more Fat Tuesdays (and worst of all, the only 18+ bar on the Hill was gone when I was 18).

Chuck's back in my days at SU was awesome. It was closed my first semester and then re-opened for the 2nd. Age was 19+ but if you got there for Happy Hour before the bouncers came out you could just stay all night. Of course that meant getting there by 3pm, which led to some very erratic walks back to Mt. Olympus in the snow by your's truly. And the music there was flat out perfect. I have a mix on Spotify of every song I could remember being played there, and it's just a total blast to listen to.

I once saw Devendorf throw 1 of those chairs ~40-50 ft in the midst of an all out melee and hit someone square in the back of the head.

biggest bar brawl i have ever seen.

I was there that night. There was a fight that broke out between T-Robb and someone on the football team. Mookie (Watkins) was there too, I was standing almost right next to him. Devendorf started getting into it too, and picked up a chair, which he threw and it hit a Chucks employee right in the head. The reason I knew he was an employee was because he had a yellow shirt on. They all used to wear those shirts.

This must have been fall of 2006. Incredible scene. I remember that it was really ing scary to see those guys, such big athletes go nuts like that. Don't recall SPD getting involved.

the chucks i went to 86-90 was in basement located next store to the current chucks-- place was awesome and massive-- food cafeteria in front--part arcade- part pool hall -- cheap pitchers- good music- dirty as hell

Count me as one of the many basement Chucks lovers. I still have a wood chip. It was the perfect bar.

I don't know about you all but I know that I've made the mistake of going into the wrong bathroom more often than I'd like to admit...where the heck are the urinals? Oops!

Buggsy's was it in my day. It saddens me when I look at Lucy's. Why would anyone remove 2/3 of an establishment (including the larger bar, dance floor, etc.)? Buggsy's Tuesday Mug Club... yes, I still have my mug.

Downstairs Chuck's was a regular stop (Prior Double Dark as well) as was playing quarters at the Varsity.

Sutter's, and the original Maggie's (even saw John Valby there) were there for the variety.

Wait, Awful Al's is no longer a cigar bar?

That's it, I give up on humanity. Someone hand me an AR-15 because we're clearly headed toward a dystopian future.
Yep, stupid. NY state sucks sometimes. Smoking ban should be limited to places not specifically created to smoke in. Still a great bar, just not the same crowd.

Yep, stupid. NY state sucks sometimes. Smoking ban should be limited to places not specifically created to smoke in. Still a great bar, just not the same crowd.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure after the indoor smoking ban, Al's was grandfathered in or received some special permit to allow patrons to continue to smoke in there. I just think that after a while, people stopped going there because they didn't want to deal with all the smoke, as they had become accustomed to people not smoking indoors anymore.

Yeah this DO article from 2003 says that "cigar bars established prior to Dec. 31, 2002, will be exempt from the law as long as 10 percent of their gross income comes from tobacco sales." Not sure if the law was changed after that and that's why Al's stopped being a cigar bar, or if they just got out of the cigar business on their own.

http://www.dailyorange.com/2.8656/l...-ban-on-indoor-smoking-1.1249133#.UBqhdZHNl7Q

Right. They had fire alarms disengaged and got a huge fine from the SFD (I knowe since I pulled them) and then had like their 1000th underage violation in a row and got the Liquor liscence yanked.

Funny, I was/am a townie and used to go up to the hill drinking summers when I was back from school and under age 21. It was so ridicuously easy to get into all of those places that I thought Marshall Street was exempt from the minimum drinking age laws. Spent many summer nights in Sutter's Mill, Bugsy's, Maggies and almost always concluded the night at Chucks.

Often thought it was a good thing that Chucks was downstairs rather than upstairs. If people had to navigate down those stairs to get out of the place at the end of the night, rather than climbing them, you'd have to have an ambulance standing by.

Yeah this DO article from 2003 says that "cigar bars established prior to Dec. 31, 2002, will be exempt from the law as long as 10 percent of their gross income comes from tobacco sales." Not sure if the law was changed after that and that's why Al's stopped being a cigar bar, or if they just got out of the cigar business on their own.

http://www.dailyorange.com/2.8656/local-businesses-gear-up-for-statewide-ban-on-indoor-smoking-1.1249133#.UBqhdZHNl7Q[/quote].

You're right; Al's got out of that business on its own (might be under new ownership as of 2006, not sure). As late as summer 2005 they still had hookahs and went by "Awful Al's." Definitely not related to the (pretty much universally popular) state smoking ban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom