Chucks | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Chucks

If this happened at Chucks, nobody would think it was out of the ordinary.

drunk.jpg

I see nothing wrong with this happening at a college bar except for the fact that he's using the middle one.

Is Awful Al's still open downtown? We used to go downtown and would almost always go between Awful Al's and PJ Dorsey's. When on the hill it was almost exclusively Darwin's and Faegan's. Although we did hit up 44's/Konrade's, Harry's and Maggie's occasionally.

Is Awful Al's still open downtown? We used to go downtown and would almost always go between Awful Al's and PJ Dorsey's. When on the hill it was almost exclusively Darwin's and Faegan's. Although we did hit up 44's/Konrade's, Harry's and Maggie's occasionally.

Yep, it's still there. Al's is definitely a different crowd than most of the rest of downtown. It's no longer a cigar bar though.

Yep, it's still there. Al's is definitely a different crowd than most of the rest of downtown. It's no longer a cigar bar though.

We used to love the huge library like wall of liquor.

Wait, Awful Al's is no longer a cigar bar?

That's it, I give up on humanity. Someone hand me an AR-15 because we're clearly headed toward a dystopian future.

I worked at Hungry Charlie's in the mid 1970's. Loved working there...

I spent a lot of time in Hungry Charlie's in the mid 70's.

I knew the guy who ran it, nice guy...I think he tried to buy it in the late 70's and possibly did?

Does anyone remember the name of the place on Westcott down by the Big M? I remember spending many nights in there since it was so close to my apartment.

Note signature below, Chucks wasn't open when I was under 21.

In every time back on the hill, Chucks is terrible. I think the cheap pitchers are clouding your mind of the terrible. You get what you pay for, and at Chucks, you pay for terrible.
Jeez man, you meet a there or something? Lighten up.

They play good music, the dive atmosphere was enjoyable and certain people on the board have another opinion of it because we all had fun there. Yeah, a dive bar tends to be a little dumpy. But most of us weren't going to go break the bank at Faegan's with 2 other friends when we had 20-30 friends in Chuck's every night. Faegan's was good for flip night and senior sundays. Too upscale for us poor kids on the hill.

I once saw Devendorf throw 1 of those chairs ~40-50 ft in the midst of an all out melee and hit someone square in the back of the head.

biggest bar brawl i have ever seen.

Saw that too. Him, TRob and Watkins went there way too much.

I spent a lot of time in Hungry Charlie's in the mid 70's.

I knew the guy who ran it, nice guy...I think he tried to buy it in the late 70's and possibly did?
I worked there in perhaps 1976 & 1977. If I remember right, there were two guys that ran it, i.e. Marc and Anthony, and my favorite co-worker I think was called "Sparky". I worked mainly at nite, did a lot of prep work, made Sangria & Hungries, and cleaned up. I don't know if they kept running it after 1977 but know they had some problems after I left.

Chuck's was the epidemy of dive bar when I went there. 95-99. 44 was the typical frat bar\pre game bar for most people. Faegans was usually an older crowd. Lucy,darwins, and maggies seemed to be hit or miss. Armory square when I would go was basically PJ dorsey's and Mully's. I used to go to Zoo station and whatever the place was called that used to have the United Booty Foundation play every Thursday. Blue Tusk was there but I went on occasion and The Suds factory wasn't in the Armory and they used to have flip night on thursday's as well. In the summer I used to go to the bar that had beach volltball by Liverpool Country Club wich was fun but always a gamble on driving and once in awhile we would go to that bar on Oneida lake where Y94 used to broadcast.

Chuck's was the spot when I was a freshman as we could get in with a fake ID - this is also the reason why it closed my freshman year. Opened back up the year after I left.

We did Faegan's for the Beer Tour- my name should still be on the wall. And Darwin's was the place on Friday night.

Did a lot of drinking at the house so we didn't go out every night.

We'd also venture downtown - plenty of times to Awful Al's and Mullys for pool. Went to Velvet Underground because we had friends who were bouncers there and we would drink there until 5 AM. (The night DNABB came back to town was a mess).

For a farther venture we would go to Vicky and Scooters in North Syracuse for 8 AM happy hours.

I worked there in perhaps 1976 & 1977. If I remember right, there were two guys that ran it, i.e. Marc and Anthony, and my favorite co-worker I think was called "Sparky". I worked mainly at nite, did a lot of prep work, made Sangria & Hungries, and cleaned up. I don't know if they kept running it after 1977 but know they had some problems after I left.

Marc was the guy that I knew. Not real tall, not much older than the crowd. He was a nice guy, but then I never worked for him.

I heard, back then, that he was trying to buy it. If I remember correctly someone in Boston owned it. Your years were the tail end of my time at SU.

Loved the fries with nacho cheese...and the dumpy atmosphere.

made my first trip up to the dome this past january for the pitt game. got there on sunday afternoon, was freezing of course, walked around the campus, checked out the dome. too cold to walk around any more, was looking around to find a bar to watch the nfl playoffs. the area was very quiet that day, students were still on break, and it was bitter cold, the gf wasnt happy, just seemed quiet and boring, i thought i could be in some trouble if we dont find a good spot quick. luckily i walked by chucks, which i remembered hearing about from this place. i love dive bars so im biased but it was the perfect spot. watched football, got drunk for cheap, stumbled back to the hotel, then pregamed there on monday before the pitt game. place was jammed, beers were flowing, great atmosphere, had a great time. chucks was kind of the savior leading up to the game. planning on going again for a game this winter and chucks better still be there!

Gone to Chucks before every basketball game the last 6 years +. Straight up tradition. Always saw a fellow north country person there. Love the crowd booing and cheering to whatever is on the TV. Got my name on the wall with my then girlfriend now wife. Watched the Wisconsin sweet 16 game there. On Cuse game day NO current bar even comes close to the atmosphere at Chucks. Non game days I'd go elsewhere though.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

It doesn't. That is amazing that I never went there during my time on the hill. Or never went there when I was sober enough to remember anyway!

Chucks (Hungry Charlie's) was closed down for a few years like right around then, The Chucks that these younging are talking about now is where Sutter's Mill used to be.

It closed my freshman year (97) and then opened back up a year or so after I was gone. So you aren't crazy.

Right. They had fire alarms disengaged and got a huge fine from the SFD (I knowe since I pulled them) and then had like their 1000th underage violation in a row and got the Liquor liscence yanked.

Was just going to post this, Dan.

Here is my rundown of the current SU bars:

1) Chucks-- upperclassmen favorite because it is difficult to get into with a fake id. Always packed on Thurs, Fri, Sat nights. Thurs has $2 bottles and Fri has $3.50 pitchers. Always see people you know, including current and former SU athletes. Yes, saw Fab (almost) everytime. Used to get stamped around 8, then come back around 12 and hop to the front of the line.

2) Faegans-- biggest nights are tuesday for beer tour and wed for flip night. Flip night was fun occasionally. For those unfamiliar-- you flip a coin and if you guess right you get your beer for free (Blue Moon mmmm). Rarely went during the semester because my schedule didn't allow it (yes I went to class). Senior Sundays were also fun, $3 long islands. Blackknight, know anything about that?

3) DJs-- underclassmen favorite because it is almost impossible to not get into with a fake id. Usually ended up here around 1:30am on weekends plastered. Used to buy $1 pounders, definitely not needed 100% of the time, but that is college.

4) Lucy's-- only went a few times. Big greek life bar. Obviously, cute girls. Then you heard them talk. Big night was tuesdays because cheap cover and cheap(er) drinks.

4)Harry's--never went here. I saw the crowd that did go there and it wasn't for me. Lot of lax bro's hanging here. Not my crowd.

I may or may not have consumed a few Long Islands after commencement at the final senior sunday.

Note signature below, Chucks wasn't open when I was under 21.

In every time back on the hill, Chucks is terrible. I think the cheap pitchers are clouding your mind of the terrible. You get what you pay for, and at Chucks, you pay for terrible.

Looks like you've been way outnumbered in this thread. It's a college bar (and a very good one at that). What exactly are you looking for? The place has a lot of character, shall we say. When I come back to campus for games, I always end up at Chucks. And judging from the overflow crowd every single time, I'm not the only one who does the same.

Marc was the guy that I knew. Not real tall, not much older than the crowd. He was a nice guy, but then I never worked for him.

I heard, back then, that he was trying to buy it. If I remember correctly someone in Boston owned it. Your years were the tail end of my time at SU.

Loved the fries with nacho cheese...and the dumpy atmosphere.
That was the Marc I knew. He was the financial partner while the more charismatic Anthony did a lot with the day to day operations. Marc was the statistician and somewhat the more serious of the two. He had portions & mixtures pretty well calculated and was fun as long as you stuck to the program. It was my first scientific foray into observing a business and how it was run. Marc and Anthony had a good thing going for a while and it was fun to be there.

Looks like you've been way outnumbered in this thread. It's a college bar (and a very good one at that). What exactly are you looking for? The place has a lot of character, shall we say. When I come back to campus for games, I always end up at Chucks. And judging from the overflow crowd every single time, I'm not the only one who does the same.

And if everyone jumped off Crouse, would you too?

And if everyone jumped off Crouse, would you too?

How old are you?

The consensus is that people like Chuck's. You're somehow going to have to find a way to live with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom