Chucks | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Chucks

How old are you?

The consensus is that people like Chuck's. You're somehow going to have to find a way to live with this.

I can live with this, I stopped going to Chucks after realizing how terrible it is. Took me a few trips back to the hill to come to that full conclusion after giving it a number of tries.

Some people like shitholes, I'm just not one of them. To each his own.

I'd rather go to any other bar on the hill.

Now now let's all play nicely. We're all fans or SU and fans of drinking at bars, we have some different opinions, that's all.

I'm not really a big fan of Chuck's, but it's nice to go down there for away games sometimes. I'm not really a bar kinda guy though. I'd rather just chill at my own place with some friends and have our own drinks instead of going to a bar to get them.

Not your average college student lol

I'm not really a big fan of Chuck's, but it's nice to go down there for away games sometimes. I'm not really a bar kinda guy though. I'd rather just chill at my own place with some friends and have our own drinks instead of going to a bar to get them.

Not your average college student lol
That's how we watched the Final Four games in 2003. Stockpiled beer, had some people over and watched the games in our apartments. And then we went down to Marshall Street after both wins to join in the revelry.

Good times. I miss my crappy Euclid apartment.

I love Chuck's when it's 50-75% full and you can move around freely and can easily make your way to the bar, but hate it when it's 110% full.
completely agree... nov-dec games chucks is great... once the big east starts you have to get there by 5 or its way to packed... love the chipotle bbq wings there... my group generally goes to lucy's now bc its easy to get drinks for the most part.

Chuck's has better music than anyplace else on the Hill. That goes a long way. It also has some of the filthiest tap lines I've ever seen. At least 50% of the times I'm in there, the pitchers are virtually undrinkable. Still, for $3.50, it's a good deal. And half-price burger Mondays make for a great early-week happy hour.

Faegan's would be cool if a.) the crowd weren't so awful, b.) a good number of the staff weren't a bunch of punks, and c.) their happy hour consisted of something better than $1.00 off regular draught prices. Flip night's a nice idea and all, but it's more crowded than Saturday nights at Chuck's.

New-new Maggie's (I think a lot of people referring to "old Maggie's" are referring to the spot below the student market and not the actual old Maggie's, which was in Marshall Square Mall where the bookstore recently was) is underrated.

J. Ryan's is a bar that more of the SU crowd should check out. More beers than Blue Tusk, at better prices. And Shifty's is everything Faegan's could be if Faegan's weren't run by knuckleheads (albeit in a far inferior location).

At least 50% of the times I'm in there, the pitchers are virtually undrinkable. Still, for $3.50, it's a good deal.

Love these 2 lines being right next to each other. (And I don't disagree)

I can live with this, I stopped going to Chucks after realizing how terrible it is. Took me a few trips back to the hill to come to that full conclusion after giving it a number of tries.

Some people like shitholes, I'm just not one of them. To each his own.

I'd rather go to any other bar on the hill.

Must be something with the age. I am also 32 and feel the same way about Chuck's. I would say had Chuck's been open when I was at SU I would probably go there because of the memories much the way I went to Darwin's, before it closed, and still go to Faegan's when I go to games now.

I love Chuck's when it's 50-75% full and you can move around freely and can easily make your way to the bar, but hate it when it's 110% full.

That's definitely when Chuck's is at it's best. It does get ridiculously crowded, especially for things like homecoming.

As long as you get to know the bartenders at Faegan's, they will hook you up all night on flip night. I routinely got served from the back of lines and hooked up with free drinks because I developed rapport during the year and tipped well enough, and by the last senior sunday...well, I didn't need to wait very long for anything.

Must be something with the age. I am also 32 and feel the same way about Chuck's. I would say had Chuck's been open when I was at SU I would probably go there because of the memories much the way I went to Darwin's, before it closed, and still go to Faegan's when I go to games now.
This is unrelated, but it's funny to learn that some posters were at SU at the same time I was. It should be expected, but there are a few regulars who were there at the same time that I was, which is just the "small world" thing considering we were probably all getting drunk at Darwin's on many of those same Fridays.

This is unrelated, but it's funny to learn that some posters were at SU at the same time I was. It should be expected, but there are a few regulars who were there at the same time that I was, which is just the "small world" thing considering we were probably all getting drunk at Darwin's on many of those same Fridays.

Every time I see posters whose time at SU overlap my own I wonder if I would recognize their face(s) in real life. One of these years I am going to make it to a board get together so I can put faces and real names with all these screen names!

I dont really like Faegans as much as I used to. I got some bullcrap coming from a couple of bartenders at Faegans, for no reason (and I tip $1 a drink.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That's how we watched the Final Four games in 2003. Stockpiled beer, had some people over and watched the games in our apartments. And then we went down to Marshall Street after both wins to join in the revelry.

That's how we watched the Championship game in 1987. Stockpiled beer, had some people over and watched the games in our fraternity house. And then we went down to Marshall Street after the loss to join the riot.

Not so different, eh youngster?

That's how we watched the Championship game in 1987. Stockpiled beer, had some people over and watched the games in our fraternity house. And then we went down to Marshall Street after the loss to join the riot.

Not so different, eh youngster?

Or you can do what we did in 2003 - go to the game.

Good times. I miss my crappy Euclid apartment.
Watched the majority of our run in bars that year. Watched the Texas game in Darwin's sitting on the back of one of the big wooden booths. Place was crazy - then we won and a guy randomly decided to punch a girl in the face and throw a table to celebrate - a touch over the top.

J. Ryan's is a bar that more of the SU crowd should check out. More beers than Blue Tusk, at better prices. And Shifty's is everything Faegan's could be if Faegan's weren't run by knuckleheads (albeit in a far inferior location).

I was a regular at JRyans when I used to live in Syracuse. I loved the bar for games and not only that it wasn't downtown and had pool and darts with fair prices. Shifty's has the best wings in Syracuse and I would go there for NFL games on Sunday. Great places. I like dive bars and don't mind Chucks when it's not packed (pop A shot is fantastic bar game) but put me in the SU2NASA boat of thinking the place is 98% of the time it's god awful.

I dont really like Faegans as much as I used to. I got some bullcrap coming from a couple of bartenders at Faegans, for no reason (and I tip $1 a drink.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yep.

Between that and the fact that their bouncers punching girls in the face is not an infrequent occurrence (maybe some of our recent graduates are familiar with this practice?), it's tough to say anything positive about Faegan's. I don't know how much control the Dellas family has over the day-to-day management, but they've got a problem over there (and I'm a huge Varsity fan, which leaves me conflicted).

Place was crazy - then we won and a guy randomly decided to punch a girl in the face and throw a table to celebrate - a touch over the top.

It's as if DeShaun Williams and Eric Devendorf created an evil hybrid offspring.

Yep.

Between that and the fact that their bouncers punching girls in the face is not an infrequent occurrence (maybe some of our recent graduates are familiar with this practice?), it's tough to say anything positive about Faegan's. I don't know how much control the Dellas family has over the day-to-day management, but they've got a problem over there (and I'm a huge Varsity fan, which leaves me conflicted).

By bouncers do you mean Deshaun Williams?

What bars did/does everyone frequent in Syracuse in the past or current? I've been to many and I was curious. I it is in the Syracuse area count it.

Konrad's (closed), Darwin's (closed), Faegan's and Lucy's were the ones I went to most. Only went to Harry's for Monday Night Football (free wings, 50 cent buds), and tried to avoid Maggie's. Downtown it was generally Dorsey's, Kitty Hoynes, Blue Tusk, sometimes Mully's. Love Coleman's, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom