Cooney Debate/Criticism/Discussion Containment Thread | Syracusefan.com

Cooney Debate/Criticism/Discussion Containment Thread

Czar

All Conference
So, after the game he's having tonight, we all know there's gonna be a bunch of people wanting to start more Cooney threads and what not. So how about we contain all that talk about him here, rather than have five different threads in a few hours.

The only thing I'll say is it's a good thing we have other options. We have one of the top big man. Let Xmas touch the ball every possession.

He takes a lot of questionable shots outside of the offense. Sometimes he makes some, more often he doesn't. The only thing I ask is that he play smarter, starting first and foremost with completely retooling his approach towards fastbreaks.

Kid busts his ass. That's whatni care about most. Sometimes the shots don't fall (for multiple games).

Seems like its becoming routine that he hits a 3 on our 1st possession of every game.

Kid busts his ass. That's whatni care about most. Sometimes the shots don't fall (for multiple games).

Seems like its becoming routine that he hits a 3 on our 1st possession of every game.

I take that as a bad sign now. When he hit the first one tonight I looked at my son and said "That's not a good start."

I thought he did a really good job in the second half recognizing that his shot wasn't dropping and deferring to others. Took a few when he was wide open and able to step into the shot, just didn't hit them.

thing is, all his 2nd half shots were perfectly fine, open looks. There's no way he should be missing so many of those.
JB said pretty much the same during his presser. Commented maybe he can only make the tough shots.
But also said it was probably his worst night of his SU career but he'll be back.

What ... we just played our best game of the year... and you want to start the 510th thread of the season about Cooney. Give it a break!
It's worth talking about how he went 1-10 and we won despite one of our best players. But I'm not at all worried about him.

cooney critiscism containment unit. don't worry it's safe...

latest

I go to all the games and watch the team during timeouts. He's clearly as pissed as anyone posting on this board that he's not making shots lately, as that was evident tonight. I don't get why some overweight 35 year olds feel the need pile on, but if it makes you feel better I guess that's your M.O..

I just mentioned on another thread that I think Cooney could have benefited from 2/3 minutes on the bench tonight in the 2nd half. Give Patterson some minutes he earned with his hard work in the first half and Cooney could observe the flow from the bench for a bit.

Sarcasm alert: It's a good thing Cooney occupies so many defenders, otherwise Rak wouldn't have gotten room for his tonite and G would never have been able to get off a shot on his own. And, for sure Roberson would never have seen the ball without the room Cooney made for him by missing 9 in a row.

Cooney's 19 for 78 from three in his last 10 games, that's a whopping 24 percent and inching closer to Patterson territory. It's one thing to have a young player perform so poorly, it's quite another to have a veteran who obviously can't do it (remember last year?) still trying so hard to do things he can't do. His supporters keep saying how hard he's defended and that he plays his butt off but it's more that the defenders at this level totally over match him and he's unable to adjust.

One of John Wooden's axioms is "Don't mistake activity for achievement." Cooney's play in most of this year's games is a good example of just that. Runs around and around but infrequently produces positive results.

Personally, I'd rather see a whole lot more of Patterson--better defense, better athlete, better feet, better handle, more aggressive getting in the lane, just more productive. And, sadly, an equally bad shooter. But his positives outweigh Cooney's right now. Limit Cooney to 20 minutes and if he starts to chuck outside the offense, sit him.

JB , dust off the ron patterson speech. we have a new contender !

Green light - Cooney. Red light - Patterson. Rightfully so. Great win indeed, but definitely a mini shooting slump here.

What ... we just played our best game of the year... and you want to start the 510th thread of the season about Cooney. Give it a break!

The thread was coming it like it or not, I'd just rather have it all be in one thread than in 5 different threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom