Cooney Debate/Criticism/Discussion Containment Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney Debate/Criticism/Discussion Containment Thread

He's likely going to end up in 2nd or 3rd in the school all-time threes made list.

Question is, how many shots is it going to take to get him there.:noidea:
Probably as many as JB and the team need him to take. With the options we have this year, just who else should be taking the shots he takes? Who else can SU put in and actually have the other team guard them?

Probably as many as JB and the team need him to take. With the options we have this year, just who else should be taking the shots he takes? Who else can SU put in and actually have the other team guard them?

I thought he did a great job in the second half by simply not takind bad shots. He can draw the necessary defensive attention and not jack up off balance near half court shots.

The ones people are complaining about, no one should be taking...that's kind of the point.

The early shot clock deep 3, or the 3 off of the curl or step back 3 are not good high percentage shots and shouldn't be taken by anyone; unless they happen to make them at a very high clip.

The ones people are complaining about, no one should be taking...that's kind of the point.

The early shot clock deep 3, or the 3 off of the curl or step back 3 are not good high percentage shots and shouldn't be taken by anyone; unless they happen to make them at a very high clip.
The 3 off the curl? Maybe suggest to JB not to run that one for him then. Maybe these people can explain exactly what play is a good play to run for him. I suggest the plays they run for Patterson (the choice of many on the board here now to play in Cooney's place). point is it is a shot he can make and its a play most coaches use to get their shooters open.

The step back 3 is also a good shot. It is a coached shot and part of a shooters arsenal. People are complaining because he is missing most everything for the last many games. That is the point. Its understandable, but JB and the team need him to take most of the shots he takes. That is not kinda the point - it is the point.

The 3 off the curl? Maybe suggest to JB not to run that one for him then. Maybe these people can explain exactly what play is a good play to run for him. I suggest the plays they run for Patterson (the choice of many on the board here now to play in Cooney's place). point is it is a shot he can make and its a play most coaches use to get their shooters open.

The step back 3 is also a good shot. It is a coached shot and part of a shooters arsenal. People are complaining because he is missing most everything for the last many games. That is the point. Its understandable, but JB and the team need him to take most of the shots he takes. That is not kinda the point - it is the point.

Eh, most? I disagree.

And stop making it seem like people suddenly want Ron to play all 40 in place of cooney.

How about we put Cooney on the side of Rak and when they double Rak, if they double, Cooney gets some great looks, if no double Rak goes to work. If they take away all those options run pick n roll with G. It's pretty obvious G and Rak are above and beyond our best players, no need to force Kobe Bryant in his prime type shots for Cooney.

NO one needs Trevor to take a shot from beyond the NBA 3-point line, unless the shot clock is at 1. He can't make that shot. But he took 4 of them last night. He must have gotten dressed down by JB at the half (FINALLY!) because he didn't take those shots in the second half.

And for the love of God, please someone tell him to stop trying to make fast break layups unless he's the only one on that side of the halfcourt line. Just terrible. Every single time.

His D looked slightly better last night, but them not having any actual decent 3-point shooters helps that.

My last complaint about Cooney and I'll stop. How is it that he couldn't/wouldn't try to take the walk-on off the dribble? That should have been automatic.

Honestly going into this season I thought Joseph would be much more ready to contribute big minutes, G would be a good 3 pt shooter and back up guard at both spots if needed. I thought Ron would be able to provide some spot minutes, energy, defense and at least the threat of making 3's. I expected Cooney to play 34 minutes in the big games and more like 30 in the others. I also thought that between Chris, Mike and BJ we would have some forwards making 3's regularly to take pressure off of Cooney. It hasn't turned out that way. Cooney started slow hit a great shooting streak but has played almost every minute in conference to the point that many of his good looks are now way off. I think he has fatigued shooting legs at this point. Not physically tired all the time but simply just used up enough every game that the rhythm and timing of his shot is inconsistent so he's searching, guiding ect rather than just releasing. When he's just releasing on good shots he's a great shooter.

At this point I agree with those saying his second half was good (other than that one fast break disaster) as far as shot selection and that he needs to play that way on offense the whole game BUT he also shouldn't be playing the WHOLE GAME.

Last edited:
How about we put Cooney on the side of Rak and when they double Rak, if they double, Cooney gets some great looks, if no double Rak goes to work. If they take away all those options run pick n roll with G. It's pretty obvious G and Rak are above and beyond our best players, no need to force Kobe Bryant in his prime type shots for Cooney.
He'd still make three out of ten at best.

So, after the game he's having tonight, we all know there's gonna be a bunch of people wanting to start more Cooney threads and what not. So how about we contain all that talk about him here, rather than have five different threads in a few hours.

I have no interest in reading this thread but will offer this comment: Obviously Cooney played poorly tonight, but it is amazing that there was a whole thread last week on Cooney being a "selfish" player. Anyone who watched the game last night and thinks Cooney is selfish has their head in the sand, if not somewhere else. I for one am d#mn glad to see him suiting up for Cuse and am very excited to see him as part of a deep and talented team next year. Others can disagree and that's fine but some of the vitriolic comments towards Cooney are beyond ridiculous and really take away from the enjoyment of this board. Dick in Michigan was right.

Cooney cannot pass (or will not) into the post.

Even on the pick-n-roll he hardly ever looks back to the screener. If he does, and throws the pass he lobs it so high that the defense could huddle, discuss strategy, and still recover.

I have no interest in reading this thread but will offer this comment: Obviously Cooney played poorly tonight, but it is amazing that there was a whole thread last week on Cooney being a "selfish" player. Anyone who watched the game last night and thinks Cooney is selfish has their head in the sand, if not somewhere else. I for one am d#mn glad to see him suiting up for Cuse and am very excited to see him as part of a deep and talented team next year. Others can disagree and that's fine but some of the vitriolic comments towards Cooney are beyond ridiculous and really take away from the enjoyment of this board. Dick in Michigan was right.

I love the kids heart, and his game. If it was his Senior night I would send him off with the same ovation I'd give Rak.

I think the critiques are warranted though.:noidea:

I think everyone (most know this at least) knows there is a laundry list of positives, but the stuff that's debated - is debated because there is disagreement.

Just because you're the only deep threat doesn't mean you should have carte blanche to launch garbage four seconds into the shot clock. Those shots will always be there!

It's an absolute joke JB doesn't sit cooney for a minute or 2 here and there. JB deserves as much criticism for cooney's struggles as cooney. Does he think the other team is gonna go on a 12-0 run in the 2 minutes cooney sits? Come on. Shooters need fresh legs. No legs, no shot. Early in the year cooney drills open 3s like their layups. All of a sudden he forgot how to shoot? 2 years in a row he's consistently missing open 3s late in the year. Coincidence? I think not. He's worn down.

Rak, Cooney, Fair, Flynn, Gmac. He runs his stars into the ground and I think it's the most frustrating thing about the way he coaches.
if guys are actually stars, it doesn't bother me as much

Haven't looked at the numbers, but my eyes tell me that earlier in the season Cooney was taking it to the basket more and playing a more balanced game, whereas now the only shoots he's taking are threes and layups on the break.

This won't go over well on here, I'm not sure he's the most overrated player in our history but he definitely is overrated by some on this board.

Terence Roberts, Josh Wright come to mind ...

Last year he had two big scoring games, one 33 and the other 27. This year he also has had two big scoring games, both 28 pts. That's his MO. A couple of hot shooting games a season, hustles his butt off and that's it. Last year he averaged 39 m/g ALL season. That's the way it will finish this season too. Nothing else to say.

Last edited:
I really wish there were Synergy numbers for college. Would be really interesting to see the breakdown of Cooney's shooting.

Last year he had two big scoring games, one 33 and the other 27. This year he also has had two big scoring games, both 28 pts. That's his MO. A couple of hot shooting games a season, hustles his butt off and that's it. Last year he averaged 39 m/g ALL season. That's the way it will finish this season too. Nothing else to say.

At some point, especially for a 4th yr junior, it's on the player to pace himself and play smarter. He's gone the other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom